THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Vent time.

For the past several years, I have been a turkey hunting guide for a local outfitter. Every year, I'd take the same people out, and I'd get to know them, even become friends with them. I've taken out this little girl and her dad for the past five years, and she has become almost like an annoying little sister to me, and her dad a valuable friend in the railroading world. I've taken this one Oklahomian out for the past two years, and I even bought his TV camera (works great!). I've taken out Floridians, Nebraskians, Canadians, and ACK! New Yorkers. I've hunted with basketball players (high school) a CW reenactor, and even U.S. Combat troops. One was a 20 something combat army medic (she was cool, and she knows how to cook spare ribs better than my dad - don't tell him that) and another was a guy who served in Afghanistan and knew every cuss word in the book, and was a great story teller. I've even hunted with railroad engineers and conductors.

Well because of this Corona virus, nobody at all is coming this year. I'd make close to $1,000 every spring guiding, mowing, repairing, etc. Now I'll just have to mow and repair. This place was the only place I'd ever talk to people voluntarily. It was actually kinda therapeutic. Oh well.

A resume that suggests you can get along with a diverse group of people over time.
Not just people who are different , but beyond run of the mill ho hum paying clients of limited background.

A good thing. Hang onto that going forward.

Since no one of your caliber is asking to do work here , I hired a guy with some ($$$) forestry equipment.
He makes quite respectable coin at his "regular" job with a utility company.
But has a passion about habitat work. And of course habitat.
Figure I paid him what I would an equipment operator per hour.
Plus what it would have cost me to rent,haul, and learn the equipment.
I'd have paid less ,(I give him a bid and he would have accepted plenty less. I know ,it seems backwards. He wanted to help and despite plenty of work elsewhere I said when it's convenient call me and hit it.).

His background is varied. But much of his experience with wildlife was guiding out West.
He hunts here , and in a nearby state and has quite a while ,but transferred what he learned guiding to his "hobby" here.

If I have a point...The guy does well enough at his regular job to not need to hustle for more money.
It did help him acquire equipment.
He has a hobby he is passionate about and is darned good at.
Despite my years of "experience" in the woods , and wildlife behavior , he had insights that answered some questions. And some statements I'm still digesting but finding not only accurate ,but revealing things that may not have been known if I continued for decades.

He should never go hungry. Flexibility has value. As does a diverse back ground ,including working with/for varied human personalities to allow dealing with people effectively , even if you prefer not to.

Another successful friend that I've mentioned before can hunt or fish with me like he's from out the woods.
But is a serious businessman that has built a lot since his youth.
As I've told him , he has a foot in two worlds. But that relate-ability with a cross section of people , makes for part of his success.

I'll bet you can make up for your projected reduced income that you didn't use to have. But be able to do so , cause you have performed to acquire that income in the past...

Old saying (Native?) : A way where there is no way.

Last edited:
It was more for something to do, but money helped. Saturdays are boring. No school, and we never go anywhere anyway. Working at the lodge gives me something to do.

Maybe on the guides There wasn’t enough conversation going. If you were to talk a little more and don’t be so shy.

Maybe on the guides There wasn’t enough conversation going. If you were to talk a little more and don’t be so shy.

I'm always very quiet when I first take them out, but once I get to know them a little, they can't shut me up, lol! :laughing7:

Down to working 3 days a week, sure does feel weird when i get back in this place..

Morning capt. Morning everyone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back