THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

The old is a possibility, but probably not.
Shoulder swinging a 2 lb item, yes it can happen.
Rotator cup injury, or ware is a common problem.

Oh castle oh castle my sawing arm has been injured.
Yes himself, 6 weeks of light swinging therapy is recommended.
View attachment 2155603
Now for you poor injured Lass.
The knot that burns is a familiar one.
Repeated motion has caused the muscle or a nerve to pinch up a tad.
Stretching, massage therapy will work.
Probably the main reason also is sitting at the keyboard for extended periods of time without proper stretching.
Then going out swinging for the weekends.
Check your posture vs keyboard/screen.

Now to be honest.
Long periods of swinging and no digging can produce both unpleasant issues.

Try switching arms more often.
Dig a target, switch, and repeat.
It balances the muscles in the back, arms, joints.
You can get a swinging cord to balance the load/weight of the detector.

I have noticed that if I shorten the shaft ( not sure if that is possible being knee high to a grasshopper as you are blossom)
Try a shorter shaft and swing. It lessons the reach and wide arcing of the swing.
If it feels like the arm is held on with a nail or spike. More as arm is raised... Ya.

Ahh Thanks Peps nd RC!!! Some good ideas from you both 😆…. I have no ability to swap detecting hands 🤨… but will defo try adjusting the height and take stretching breaks! Thank you both for ur wise words (for once 😂) xx 🤗

When i first dreamt of treasure hunting… i always pictured me finding signals with himself trotting obediently behind carrying the gear and digging the hole …. Clearly this is how it should be done 😆 xx

Ahh Thanks Peps nd RC!!! Some good ideas from you both 😆…. I have no ability to swap detecting hands 🤨… but will defo try adjusting the height and take stretching breaks! Thank you both for ur wise words (for once 😂) xx 🤗

When i first dreamt of treasure hunting… i always pictured me finding signals with himself trotting obediently behind carrying the gear and digging the hole …. Clearly this is how it should be done 😆 xx
1719255700515.png

Oh come on you're well known for your 2 handed swaps.
giphy.gif

So i have a serious question for all you experts…. On a typical day detecting we do about 5 hours with a 30 min lunch break… walk about 3.5 to 4 miles… but we have both noticed significant pain in our left arm (him) left shoulder (me) i would describe mine as burning under my shoulder blade. This is the shovel carrying side… is this usual?

I use my shovel as a walking stick, pick it up, change hold etc but the pain stays… the detecting arm is fine 🤔…

Is this common? are we just getting old? Any exercise we can do to losen / strengthen?? Our shovels arnt heavy … it gets so bad im often tempted to dig iron just to stop the burn 😳 xx
Jumping jacks with a video posted might help.
My knees and hips hurt from walking the creeks through all the water and gravel

So i have a serious question for all you experts…. On a typical day detecting we do about 5 hours with a 30 min lunch break… walk about 3.5 to 4 miles… but we have both noticed significant pain in our left arm (him) left shoulder (me) i would describe mine as burning under my shoulder blade. This is the shovel carrying side… is this usual?

I use my shovel as a walking stick, pick it up, change hold etc but the pain stays… the detecting arm is fine 🤔…

Is this common? are we just getting old? Any exercise we can do to losen / strengthen?? Our shovels arnt heavy … it gets so bad im often tempted to dig iron just to stop the burn 😳 xx
I've been having some of the same trouble. But, I've been doing this longer than most people have been alive! 😏

I finally had to make a harness that supports the weight of the detector whilst swinging. But that didn't help that pain in the left shoulder blade.

I used my mini shovel to help getting back up too. Trouble was, that's my weaker side. Shoving myself up started making the back of the shoulder hurt all the time. Never did get much stronger by the exercise. Seems that all I do anymore is wear out rather than build muscle. 🤷‍♂️

One thing I did that has helped is that I fashioned a sort of hook to about the center of my shovel. Once I'm done digging and moving to the next target, I hang it on the back of my belt until needed again.

That helped but not all the way. What did help me was that while walking and swinging the detector, I sort of hook my left thumb in my harness where the shoulder doesn't hurt. Taking the pressure off the left shoulder whilst I walk.

Hope something up there helps.

Do you dig with said same arm ?

Welcome to metal detecting rsi. Thing with detecting its limited repetitive movements. Wash rinse repeat, wash rinse repeat, wash rinse.....
Some it never seems to worry but I know plenty that it has. Me it has and over the years has limited me. Im ambidextrous too but still got me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back