THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

IMG_3499.jpeg
IMG_3517.jpeg
IMG_3508.jpeg
IMG_3509.jpeg
IMG_3518.jpeg
IMG_3521.jpeg
Mr Woo cooling down with a morning bath šŸ˜ā€¦ just too cute!!! xx

I'd take those over a coin most hunts.
Well done on the cool looking watch winder and button.
Thanks, I'm quite happy with them!
He found a quarter eagle Indian there several years ago. Looked like it was lost fresh from the mint.

So i have a serious question for all you expertsā€¦. On a typical day detecting we do about 5 hours with a 30 min lunch breakā€¦ walk about 3.5 to 4 milesā€¦ but we have both noticed significant pain in our left arm (him) left shoulder (me) i would describe mine as burning under my shoulder blade. This is the shovel carrying sideā€¦ is this usual?

I use my shovel as a walking stick, pick it up, change hold etc but the pain staysā€¦ the detecting arm is fine šŸ¤”ā€¦

Is this common? are we just getting old? Any exercise we can do to losen / strengthen?? Our shovels arnt heavy ā€¦ it gets so bad im often tempted to dig iron just to stop the burn šŸ˜³ xx

So i have a serious question for all you expertsā€¦. On a typical day detecting we do about 5 hours with a 30 min lunch breakā€¦ walk about 3.5 to 4 milesā€¦ but we have both noticed significant pain in our left arm (him) left shoulder (me) i would describe mine as burning under my shoulder blade. This is the shovel carrying sideā€¦ is this usual?

I use my shovel as a walking stick, pick it up, change hold etc but the pain staysā€¦ the detecting arm is fine šŸ¤”ā€¦

Is this common? are we just getting old? Any exercise we can do to losen / strengthen?? Our shovels arnt heavy ā€¦ it gets so bad im often tempted to dig iron just to stop the burn šŸ˜³ xx
The old is a possibility, but probably not.
Shoulder swinging a 2 lb item, yes it can happen.
Rotator cup injury, or ware is a common problem.

Oh castle oh castle my sawing arm has been injured.
Yes himself, 6 weeks of light swinging therapy is recommended.
Screenshot_20240624_104306_Google.jpg

Now for you poor injured Lass.
The knot that burns is a familiar one.
Repeated motion has caused the muscle or a nerve to pinch up a tad.
Stretching, massage therapy will work.
Probably the main reason also is sitting at the keyboard for extended periods of time without proper stretching.
Then going out swinging for the weekends.
Check your posture vs keyboard/screen.

Now to be honest.
Long periods of swinging and no digging can produce both unpleasant issues.

Try switching arms more often.
Dig a target, switch, and repeat.
It balances the muscles in the back, arms, joints.
You can get a swinging cord to balance the load/weight of the detector.

I have noticed that if I shorten the shaft ( not sure if that is possible being knee high to a grasshopper as you are blossom)
Try a shorter shaft and swing. It lessons the reach and wide arcing of the swing.

Can't say usual or unusual...

I'll hazard you're not young and fallen Humpty Dumpty takes an aspirin and alls well age anymore. No offense.
Some of us are getting to the mystery sprains induced by sleeping phase...

Were you close I'd insist you take a Leasche with you while I hold your shovel for collateral.

Forced I'd have you treat it like a pulled muscle and hold the underside of an edged table's edge with a hands palm up and easy does it put traction on that under shoulderblade and next to it muscle in a stretch. Not a tugging or pulling. Be gentle. (And consult a Dr. before ever listening to me.) Same in the field (figure it out) once an hour maybe before a five minute rest.
(Warm that muscle and gently stretch it effectively before your hunt. Then during hunt at intervals.)

Have you shot a bow/arrow?
History shows deformed joints/bone from the stout yew bows of yesteryear due to the archers shooting them so much by trade.
But problems occur among beginners (and sometimes beyond) because certain muscles don't see much use elsewhere. The type tension is unique so to speak. Often right on the inside (toward spine) of a shoulder blade. If you reached and empty hand straight forward all the way chest level and then holding everything from moving except that hands shoulder , then moved arm rearward only by the shoulder itself you'd feel that muscle. And while pushups help around it , it's not the same as a bow. Or a weight / shovel just suspended under tension.
What holds an arm secured to a shoulder? (Not much.) So the shoulder at back has to be involved too. By muscle attached to tendon and ligament.

A shovel toted and consistent (same position) strain extended over a period of time and the body expects it to stay that way.
Stop. raise that shoulder. It pops as the/a tendon moves?
Neck on that side hurt Monday?

Old saying by Dr. when told something causes pain. Quit doing it!
Your body says switch hands. Detecting doesn't suit that.
And...the shovel carrying shoulder thinks it's carrying a shovel. Even when it's not now.

A wide waist belt might allow himself to drag a shovel.
The man that introduced me to detecting so long ago used a broken short sword sharpened a little.

(?)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back