THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Mornin all.
30 degrees F. and a few inches of wet heavy snow , with more falling.
Shoulders complaining already throwing it over rails.
And here's the Bahamas and Florida effect on wood preservatives!

Bet I could still row a boat today...

What is it , Tung oil is nice. But water spots. Or was it linseed oil?
I've used linseed oil on gunstocks. But I want more all weather abuse. Despite wanting to avoid it. Sometimes...I get wet. So , linseed oil. (Preboiled).
Hot day (yes I get like three or four a year , the last one I used to soften cosmoline) and after the wood is warm hand rub the linseed oil generously. Because I don't cut/thin it , it takes a long time to dry. so figure a few coats over two days. Or three depending on the weather. Early coats are working as fillers mostly. Easy to touch up down the road.
Tung oil seems better for indoor stuff.

Mornin all.
30 degrees F. and a few inches of wet heavy snow , with more falling.
Shoulders complaining already throwing it over rails.
And here's the Bahamas and Florida effect on wood preservatives!

Bet I could still row a boat today...

What is it , Tung oil is nice. But water spots. Or was it linseed oil?
I've used linseed oil on gunstocks. But I want more all weather abuse. Despite wanting to avoid it. Sometimes...I get wet. So , linseed oil. (Preboiled).
Hot day (yes I get like three or four a year , the last one I used to soften cosmoline) and after the wood is warm hand rub the linseed oil generously. Because I don't cut/thin it , it takes a long time to dry. so figure a few coats over two days. Or three depending on the weather. Early coats are working as fillers mostly. Easy to touch up down the road.
Tung oil seems better for indoor stuff.
I did the shop in pine tar/linseed oil 50/50 mix. Heated then applied to both sides of the 1" pine.
Lots of work, but after 8 yrs, it still is looking good.
The pay now worked.
20181019_112558.jpg

I did the shop in pine tar/linseed oil 50/50 mix. Heated then applied to both sides of the 1" pine.
Lots of work, but after 8 yrs, it still is looking good.
The pay now worked.
View attachment 2131540
Looks great!
You might need to explain the plastic over the windows to Southerners. They might suspect hurricane preparation on the cheap.
I had another quote the other day on a polebarn but I had forgotten to add the lean too on it.
Crazy not cheap deal.....

Waste motor oil has been used on chicken coops to reduce parasites and extend wood life. I imagine it reduces some parasites on contact! Plus penetrates to where they can hide in wood cracks.
Some folks use it on hunting blinds too.
I don't like the health aspect potential of it though.

Looks great!
You might need to explain the plastic over the windows to Southerners. They might suspect hurricane preparation on the cheap.
I had another quote the other day on a polebarn but I had forgotten to add the lean too on it.
Crazy not cheap deal.....

Waste motor oil has been used on chicken coops to reduce parasites and extend wood life. I imagine it reduces some parasites on contact! Plus penetrates to where they can hide in wood cracks.
Some folks use it on hunting blinds too.
I don't like the health aspect potential of it though.
Yes the 10mil. Plastic is no longer in use. The windows that were done 3 yrs prior, were installed last year.
Kind like getting healed by the minister.
I yell'th out...
"I CAN SEE"
Yes glass is better than plastic.
20230919_150642.jpg

Yes the 10mil. Plastic is no longer in use. The windows that were done 3 yrs prior, were installed last year.
Kind like getting healed by the minister.
I yell'th out...
"I CAN SEE"
Yes glass is better than plastic.
View attachment 2131550
My bad . Those were your temporary windows.
I thought you were conserving heat by covering single pane glass. l.o.l..

I used to cut cardboard strips to hold stapled plastic on two different homes windows. Maybe more than two homes.
Cardboard because furring strips at a lumber yard cost too much. Let alone a trip to a lumber yard.
Ahh the good old days of woodburning and a human powered heating bill...
One 100 plus years old house's front door windows sounded like windchimes one windy morning. Ya , that got covered in plastic too.

Last edited:
Thanks, now all I need is good weather and a day off!
I know you're probably hitting parks and such, but keep your eyes open in the creeks now that they're low.... might be a little trashy but lot's of bright yellow stuff in those waters people tend to forget about... :wink: check the freshly washed out banks

My bad . Those were your temporary windows.
I thought you were conserving heat by covering single pane glass. l.o.l..

I used to cut cardboard strips to hold stapled plastic on two different homes windows. Mabe more than two homes.
Cardboard because furring strips at a lumber yard cost to much. Let alone a trip to a lumber yard.
Ahh the good old days of woodburning and a human powered heating bill...
One 100 plus years old house's front door windows sounded like windchimes one windy morning. Ya , that got covered in plastic too.
Working on the interior house windows now.
Prepping them for painting.
Kind of like pouring molasses up hill in January, painfully slow.
Doing it right to the glazing for a total of 44 pieces of pine to do for this 9.5' x 7.5' window.
20240215_132602.jpg

Then there's a sliding balcony door, pocket door, another smaller 4.5' x 7.5' window.
Plus the baseboards.

Working on the interior house windows now.
Prepping them for painting.
Kind of like pouring molasses up hill in January, painfully slow.
Doing it right to the glazing for a total of 44 pieces of pine to do for this 9.5' x 7.5' window.
View attachment 2131563
Then there's a sliding balcony door, pocket door, another smaller 4.5' x 7.5' window.
Plus the baseboards.
This house looks like crap again...
My original rehab when it came to painting involved cutting in with a brush and a clean rag for any mistakes.
Used a foam brush for top of wall type areas before rolling.
Did use some tape. Not a fan though.
I might try frog tape(a fancy brand that helps reduce bleeding from improper application) on your glazing's edge like using fineline tape for two toning. But if it bled due to not adhering enough , I'd be right back to cutting in. And wiping with razor edged precision. Ahem.

This house looks like crap again...
My original rehab when it came to painting involved cutting in with a brush and a clean rag for any mistakes.
Used a foam brush for top of wall type areas before rolling.
Did use some tape. Not a fan though.
I might try frog tape(a fancy brand that helps reduce bleeding from improper application) on your glazing's edge like using fineline tape for two toning. But if it bled due to not adhering enough , I'd be right back to cutting in. And wiping with razor edged precision. Ahem.
Frog tape works for certain things. Doing the 1/4 round along the wood floor helps .
Lots of patience I can cut it in along the trim/walls.
I know from doing 6 other rooms, between the 1st and 2nd coats there's always more little spots to fill it seems.
The main bedroom down stairs was painted, then the 2+ coats on the trim.
I had covered the tile up with a thick brown paper.
We took it off when everything was done and we both went🤮
The floor tile clashed with the trim so bad, I repainted it over again.
Which took 3 coats, bloody trim has lots of protection. 🤣

Frog tape works for certain things. Doing the 1/4 round along the wood floor helps .
Lots of patience I can cut it in along the trim/walls.
I know from doing 6 other rooms, between the 1st and 2nd coats there's always more little spots to fill it seems.
The main bedroom down stairs was painted, then the 2+ coats on the trim.
I had covered the tile up with a thick brown paper.
We took it off when everything was done and we both went🤮
The floor tile clashed with the trim so bad, I repainted it over again.
Which took 3 coats, bloody trim has lots of protection. 🤣
Used ceiling paint that goes on pink before it dries just in case my skilled hands missed a spot somehow , despite my expertise...
i think I'm the only one who notices the couple thin spots in the living room...
Maybe because there's lower drywall so tore up in spots the gypsum shows in places from wheelchair and baby gate collisions. A diversion/distraction. No . Not intentional.

Subject is Text and Phone Scams
Just going to post this here for everyone to see and read. Hopefully it’s not against the rules.
I have been getting strange calls so I fixed my phone so if I don’t know them it goes straight to voicemail. Unfortunately some scammers will still leave a message.
Just this week I have received 2 texts. One was an unpaid doctor bill which I know was false.
Got another today saying a package was lost and needed me to update my address cause it wasn’t able to be read.
Now you have to stop and think. How did the postal service get my phone number? When you send a package you don’t give them any phone number.
I’m just saying don’t respond to this in text or to the phone number they are saying to call. Go in person if you can or have them send you a bill in the mail and verify everything. I’m on someone’s list and hopefully they just loose my number cause I’m not falling for it. Don’t get caught being a victim.

Subject is Text and Phone Scams
Just going to post this here for everyone to see and read. Hopefully it’s not against the rules.
I have been getting strange calls so I fixed my phone so if I don’t know them it goes straight to voicemail. Unfortunately some scammers will still leave a message.
Just this week I have received 2 texts. One was an unpaid doctor bill which I know was false.
Got another today saying a package was lost and needed me to update my address cause it wasn’t able to be read.
Now you have to stop and think. How did the postal service get my phone number? When you send a package you don’t give them any phone number.
I’m just saying don’t respond to this in text or to the phone number they are saying to call. Go in person if you can or have them send you a bill in the mail and verify everything. I’m on someone’s list and hopefully they just loose my number cause I’m not falling for it. Don’t get caught being a victim.
PayPal is another one.
FedX
Calls that pony onto another # but don't have a name.
I put a blocking device a few years ago that weed out most spam callers.
It comes up as SPAM-then I block it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back