THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

This sucks for the islands
Screen Shot 2024-02-16 at 7.20.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-16 at 7.21.15 AM.png

This little article, and this man's studies have absolutely crushed me at times. The claims made about the 1563 capitana, and the fact that these galleons were found by Castillo 30 years later, have been the biggest detractors to our search here in the keys for those same galleons. At one point t I had serious doubts that we would ever find them....especially with Bonifacios evidence. The Menendez fleet of 1563 has been placed everywhere from bermuda, to the keys, and even the bahamas. Later I was told that a certain bahamian had absolutely found both Menendez galleons, had the permits to excavate, and was about to pull the mega treasure that I've been helping search for here in the keys ?? I was devastated, and thought that this was it, and we would be proven wrong here in the keys. Well....it seems our bahamian competition has folded, and given up, and the search failed. Perhaps Castillo was a charlatan back in 1600. We will stick to our guns, and I believe fotenada of 1549, and him actually seeing the captives of this fleet in the keys !!
Screenshot_20240216_074325_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240216_074339_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240216_074359_Chrome.jpg

Always looking for a deal and this caught my eye.
It's in a lot with other things that are being auctioned off.
Can't figure if it's a Half or a Full Sovereign set in a 9C pin

Screen Shot 2024-02-16 at 8.29.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-16 at 8.28.01 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-16 at 8.30.00 AM.png

Happy Friday folks!!! Lovely day out there today, but rain all weekend… hopefully not dnough to slow our swing!! 😆 xx

Its so strange.. detecting post stater… obviously i want to keep going back to the “stater spot”, but equally i want to keep exploring on the off chance… ooohh the decision we face when in the treasure hunting game!!! 😆 xx

Happy Friday folks!!! Lovely day out there today, but rain all weekend… hopefully not dnough to slow our swing!! 😆 xx

Its so strange.. detecting post stater… obviously i want to keep going back to the “stater spot”, but equally i want to keep exploring on the off chance… ooohh the decision we face when in the treasure hunting game!!! 😆 xx
Morning blossom

Gee I wish I had those problems, it would be sleepless nights of tossing and turning wondering if I should or shouldn't return to that field.

In the meantime I shall go plow snow as we had 5 inches or 13 CM fell last night.
And rearrange my past memories of digging.:laughing7:

Morning blossom

Gee I wish I had those problems, it would be sleepless nights of tossing and turning wondering if I should or shouldn't return to that field.

In the meantime I shall go plow snow as we had 5 inches or 13 CM fell last night.
And rearrange my past memories of digging.:laughing7:
Its a real problem Peps, BFT (before Finding Treasure) i would happily give my route choice to my feet… but now my head says go back go back… 😂😂

Ahh enjoy ur snow plowing… i may have an afternoon nap… work is slow today 😆 xx

Its a real problem Peps, BFT (before Finding Treasure) i would happily give my route choice to my feet… but now my head says go back go back… 😂😂

Ahh enjoy ur snow plowing… i may have an afternoon nap… work is slow today 😆 xx
Yes rest the weary soul before the weekend digging.
Dream of golden ponies, oh the workload is real.

When you found gold I wanted to write don't let it change anything about your detecting mechanics or routines.
And just detect.
Soil conditions change or you want to re-grid the site and work it through a different directional pattern? O.K.. but easy does it and a little at a time on the hardest detecting work. Then step away , and go detect like you're enjoying it and not clanking away at work. You can revisit the tuff work area(s) again.
Keep in moderation that work part , or you'll risk a brief trotting sound as fun goes over the horizon.
DON'T take the fun out of detecting. You already scored enough to not have to further. Let the rest come on it's own accord. Which it will again if you keep swinging.
If you're not smiling at least once an hour , why are you afield?
Be curious about what if's related to your stater. Ask the site which way any of it's potential company might have traveled.
But a piece of lead still means a great day was had because you were afield touching history.
Value is in the use of a piece. Lead or gold.
lead can be used in multiple ways to fill a belly when gold hasn't a place to buy.
And unless quite desperate, we're not going to weight a fishline or down a pheasant with gold pieces.
As if the rareness of gold was at hand in the first place . l.o.l..

Now then ; where could I have I lost that stater hundreds of years ago....

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
When you found gold I wanted to write don't let it change anything about your detecting mechanics or routines.
And just detect.
Soil conditions change or you want to re-grid the site and work it through a different directional pattern? O.K.. but easy does it and a little at a time on the hardest detecting work. Then step away , and go detect like you're enjoying it and not clanking away at work. You can revisit the tuff work area(s) again.
Keep in moderation that work part , or you'll risk a brief trotting sound as fun goes over the horizon.
DON'T take the fun out of detecting. You already scored enough to not have to further. Let the rest come on it's own accord. Which it will again if you keep swinging.
If you're not smiling at least once an hour , why are you afield?
Be curious about what if's related to your stater. Ask the site which way any of it's potential company might have traveled.
But a piece of lead still means a great day was had because you were afield touching history.
Value is in the use of a piece. Lead or gold.
lead can be used in multiple ways to fill a belly when gold hasn't a place to buy.
And unless quite desperate, we're not going to weight a fishline or down a pheasant with gold pieces.
As if the rareness of gold was at hand in the first place . l.o.l..

Now then ; where could I have I lost that stater hundreds of years ago....

hqdefault.jpg
Wise words RC, i shall return to letting the feet take me where they will this weekend 😆 xx they served me well to date xx 🤗

Lost a bunch of detecting pics on another computer that died..
Here's an old picture as well .

These recovered coins are from a park they were digging for a new sidewalk install. I got in the trench and found the well worn silver dime. Thier removal of soil before pouring concrete helped give me more depth therein that when I had detected the area prior..
IMG_0086.JPG

The round black piece near picture bottom with a protrusion broken off...is from a former optometrists homestead that is a mowed field now. Bulldozed and scattered debris trail below ground. Same area the match case piece I've posted before came from.

IMG_0097.JPG

Afternoon everyone. Just got done doing the deck. Had 1 nail stuck in the middle of the rail. The head was split in half just enough to keep me busy for about an hour. Then all of a sudden I had a brain fart and went and found a hacksaw removed the blade and started sawing in the crack. Took another 10 minutes but finally cut it in half and removed the railing. Took 5 minutes to put the new wood down and 4 hours to remove the screws and nails. I had someone install it a couple of years ago. I’m hoping this wood will last longer. I went with pressure treated. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back