THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

That was the name of my company before they changed it to Barnes Distribution. They changed the name because of the NASCAR affiliation.
I vaguely recall that name Barnes,man that was 40 years ago,I get up off the couch these days and ask,what did I get up for?
They supplied nuts,bolts,cotter pins,files WHAT EVER the mechanics needed to repair the machines there,the parts crib stocked the machine parts,there were to many "part changers" instead of Machine Repairmen,anyway,I got to know the fella Keith,He'd come in once a week to restock and I'd always ask Him"what you got for gratuities,I'll take ALL you got"even though that was against company policy.I would go to the Main crib that supplied about anything you could think of,I would charge out whatever I wanted using my Employee badge(no charge,Company paid for)I would charge out at times 3,4,5 of something at share the wealth by giving it to others.I really miss those "fringe benefits"

I use to sing a song the day He came in "The Bowman Man the Bowman Man everybody loves the Bowman Man".

I so enjoyed my job fixing things with my hands,the BONUS was I got PAID for it.:laughing9:

Viton X rings/Quad rings have helped in some of the old hydraulic tractor pumps that have a groove worn from original rings on a shaft that is not available new/after market as a solo piece.

Not seating the original style ring on the worn groove would obviously be desired but is not a real option.
Building up the grooved area and then reducing it to original spec is not going to happen for backyard mechanics like myself.
Same with milling out a deeper rear of casting and using a lipped seal off set from the groove.

So , the X-ring is usually worth a try before trying other routes.

I need to check the problem child leaker again after o ring was replaced last. Original shaft was worn bad and a used pump with fresh seals replaced it.
Hydraulic fluid in this pumps design will leak into the engine crankcase if the seal does not do it's job.
An interesting result besides thinning the oil...
When oil level is overfilled will come out the exhaust stack in a fine spray ,mist.. l.o.l.

I had people call me over the years asking about their problem with hyd leaks. It depended on the housing. Round or square. Round or quad rings. I'm gone from the business now but hope you get er done. Damn computer. Hope you figutered out what I meant.

Idahodutch, you are continuing to violate our rules on politics, please keep political comments out of forum.

Last edited:
Folks since our young Turks GB and Rusty haven't been coming up with the goods metal detecting lately....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

I went out this p.m. for my maiden hunt of the season. Hit a pounded to death park/sportsfield complex and managed on the first target probably the smallest silver ring I've ever found.

It weighs are measly .9 grams but heh it's silver....glad I can still compete with the youngins.....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Attachments

• DSC03000 (466x361).jpg
    DSC03000 (466x361).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC03006 (441x415).jpg
    DSC03006 (441x415).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 37
Found my ruins....saw these many years ago...now just have to slowly hunt it....nothing super cool but I'll take some pics of the finds. Couple cool bottles too. was nice to find it again after so many years.

Nice finds Bill.
I got a bit this morning. I went to my old home place close by.i found 3 Lincoln's and one silver dime but that's not nice finds of the day. I've been wanting to detect this place for 25 years. I'm going to post a pic tomorrow of this place. 1901 home place. The new owner Jessie and his bride are great folks. They are remodeling the house spending some bucks to bring it back.

Ya...nice ring bill....congrats on the early start !!

That sounds like fun rook !! Love to see what the place looks like.

Bart,

Judging from the age of that cistern I'd be digging it all including iron....even the smallest blip or crappy signal. Got to be some serious age to anything you find....go get em tiger.

Found my ruins....saw these many years ago...now just have to slowly hunt it....nothing super cool but I'll take some pics of the finds. Couple cool bottles too. was nice to find it again after so many years.

Rook,

Good luck let's show the yougins how it's done....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Nice finds Bill.
I got a bit this morning. I went to my old home place close by.i found 3 Lincoln's and one silver dime but that's not nice finds of the day. I've been wanting to detect this place for 25 years. I'm going to post a pic tomorrow of this place. 1901 home place. The new owner Jessie and his bride are great folks. They are remodeling the house spending some bucks to bring it back.

Nice finds Bill.

Don't know why I didn’t make a picture today. It was purdy warm when I left though. It’s not a mile from here though. Dag nab it.

Last edited:
A beauty of a ring bill. Congratulations . I hope to at least go make a pic of this old home place tomorrow if I don’t get to hunt that much. Jessie has crowned the trees around the place and it’s hard to hunt with the trimmings on the yard. We’ll see.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• ARC
Back