THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Dixie Gun Works.
Track of the Wolf.
Crazy Crow.

Carry tomahawks.
Get you a real one. Bonus points for hand forged. But an additional one that is cast I''ll let slide.

Close your hand into a fist. Measure from knuckles of hand to elbow. There is your handle length.
Being a Viking yours is probably around an 18 inch handle length.
Now you have a hawk to throw.
Only you are not throwing it.
Because of your forearm length and learning to take a half step landing on y
our left foot (if you are right handed, otherwise switch feet!) You'll make the hawk turn/spin in the air.
Not running and jumping or hopping. Just take a damn half step. Easy does it. Rock your self. No wait , not rock n roll , Well ya. That easy steps stopping it where your energy should be in your hand as you are almost letting go of it. And it will be close to that step touching as you gain experience. Or it could be you release as soon as that foot lands. You'll know... You hang on to low you hit short/low

Here's the important part. For your hawk , take five cheap paces from your target and mark where that is. Learn how to do that without marking it. In time. No rush. Good decent steps but don't be doing the splits. Viking sized should be close to three foot paces. Unless you have runty length legs from being bow legged. Then 2.5 feet per pace. (Ahem.)

Now hold the handle without it being in a death grip.
Keep your wrist straight. Now do not try to put a spin on your hawk. I said don't.
You've seen large ice sickles? (For those from warm climates how about a stalactite?)
Your hand is on the small end of such.
Let the handle sliiide out of your straight wrist. No don't steer it or drag on it. Just let the damn thing slide out of your hand after your foot lands and hand passes your face from behind you.
No not from behind your opposite ear or your knee.
Here's the magic. Your hawk makes a full turn in the air by itself.
See how it landed? If consistently not how you want it . change your distance a quarter step to change it. You'll see the rotation in relation to blade position after it hits telling you to be closer or farther.
Got your one turn distance figured out? What of you double it?
Right. Let it slide out of your straight wrist and two revolutions happen.
Now we know why we throw from a known distance to start. Now we can get the blades edge to land flat and cut a playing card. Go get your stapler and some cards.( No not the wife's good playing cards.)

Knife? Well . Do it right , or throw anything?
Rules in my former circle are you hold handle only. (Hundreds of competitors, not a bad idea.)

Leafspring material? quarter inch thick or a little more. Go ahead and use mild steel after giving me a funny look. You'll be straighten it repeatedly without even throwing (letting it Sliide) it hard.
You know your hawk handle length. Make a knife similar length and it will throw, one step closer than your hawk. depending on....

A knife you build for throwing with or complimenting a hawk you'll want balanced near center. Profile affects that.( I have drilled holes. Because I'm not an engineer.
Someday I should get some pics huh?

Let that knife handle Sliiide upon release from your straight wrist. A slight taper to handle widths profile help? Yes.

Axe? Don't hit yourself.
Don't throw it.
From behind your back ease it forward and use easy leverage forward till you let it Sliiide out of your straight wrists. You are letting go. Not creating difficult to duplicate stunts changing the accuracy of each throw.
Smooth straight or tapered towards hand(s) handles are ideal.
Yes you can use your wrists and throw all kinds of things sized at random.
Get the basics and accuracy down first.
I used to use a BIG screwdriver and carried it at work. Oh boy did it hit some targets.
Including one dare I probably shouldn't have taken.

(Dentist for 2.5 hours and mega headache. I shouldn't be online probably..)

Last edited:
Some good scrap in the last one.🤣
I suppose as seeing the woke vandals are trying to eradicate our history cutting down proper sculptures and monuments with angle grinders and defacing them, they think that by making a sculpture with no meaning or purpose that nobody will care. Seems to be working I guess.

Dixie Gun Works.
Track of the Wolf.
Crazy Crow.

Carry tomahawks.
Get you a real one. Bonus points for hand forged. But an additional one that is cast I''ll let slide.

Close your hand into a fist. Measure from knuckles of hand to elbow. There is your handle length.
our left foot (if you are right handed, otherwise switch feet!) You'll make the hawk turn/spin in the air.
Not running and jumping or hopping. Just take a damn half step. Easy does it. Rock your self. No wait , not rock n roll , Well ya. That easy steps stopping it where your energy should be in your hand as you are almost letting go of it. And it will be close to that step touching as you gain experience. Or it could be you release as soon as that foot lands. You'll know... You hang on to low you hit short/low

Here's the important part. For your hawk , take five cheap paces from your target and mark where that is. Learn how to do that without marking it. In time. No rush. Good decent steps but don't be doing the splits. Viking sized should be close to three foot paces. Unless you have runty length legs from being bow legged. Then 2.5 feet per pace. (Ahem.)

Keep your wrist straight. Now do not try to put a spin on your hawk. I said don't.
You've seen large ice sickles? (For those from warm climates how about a stalactite?)
Let the handle sliiide out of your straight wrist. No don't steer it or drag on it. Just let the damn thing slide out of your hand after your foot lands and hand passes your face from behind you.
See how it landed? If consistently not how you want it . change your distance a quarter step to change it. You'll see the rotation in relation to blade position after it hits telling you to be closer or farther.
Now we know why we throw from a known distance to start. Now we can get the blades edge to land flat and cut a playing card. Go get your stapler and some cards.( No not the wife's good playing cards.)

Rules in my former circle are you hold handle only. (Hundreds of competitors, not a bad idea.)

Leafspring material? quarter inch thick or a little more. Go ahead and use mild steel after giving me a funny look. You'll be straighten it repeatedly without even throwing (letting it Sliide) it hard.
You know your hawk handle length. Make a knife similar length and it will throw, one step closer than your hawk. depending on....

A knife you build for throwing with or complimenting a hawk you'll want balanced near center. Profile affects that.( I have drilled holes. Because I'm not an engineer.

Let that knife handle Sliiide upon release from your straight wrist. A slight taper to handle widths profile help? Yes.

Axe? Don't hit yourself.
Don't throw it.
From behind your back ease it forward and use easy leverage forward till you let it Sliiide out of your straight wrists. You are letting go. Not creating difficult to duplicate stunts changing the accuracy of each throw.
I used to use a BIG screwdriver and carried it at work. Oh boy did it hit some targets.

stone-cold what.gif

Well thanks! I wasn't sure if I was going to get that in to it... and still don't. I know the tomahawks I have are junk. I have looked at better ones, then I make a custom round! :headbang:

Dixie Gun Works.
Track of the Wolf.
Crazy Crow.

Carry tomahawks.

Axe? Don't hit yourself.
Don't throw it.

🌶 raided the sharps disposal.

Draws circle on curtain.

Oh crap can't land on the left when throwing.
Fell!

Darn it! Got poked by dirty syringe.

Who suggested this throwing sharp object game.

Hello? Zimble, Zimble & Sue.

View attachment 2166909

Well thanks! I wasn't sure if I was going to get that in to it... and still don't. I know the tomahawks I have are junk. I have looked at better ones, then I make a custom round! :headbang:

Yours are not junk.

Should kids drive Ferraris for a start to driving?

You cut cards constant with a plain Jane then You can use something fancier , better.
Yes yours will stick.
No, thier handles are not great to start a group of beginners.

Flat material planes faster than oval or round.

I've had beginners start off great. Because of thier finding thier distance. And having good form.

My tiny hunting belt ax bears a cut from another ax on it's poll.
By enthusiastic beginners throwing everything they can get thier hands on without clearing the target!

No the handle is not ideal for throwing. But it suits tiny/short arms.

Attachments

• IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    996.2 KB · Views: 10
Yours are not junk.

Should kids drive Ferraris for a start to driving?

You cut cards constant with a plain Jane then You can use something fancier , better.
Yes yours will stick.
No, thier handles are not great to start a group of beginners.

Flat material planes faster than oval or round.

I've had beginners start off great. Because of thier finding thier distance. And having good form.

My tiny hunting belt ax bears a cut from another ax on it's poll.
By enthusiastic beginners throwing everything they can get thier hands on without clearing the target!

No the handle is not ideal for throwing. But it suits tiny/short arms.
I will be as good at ax throwing as my archery skills!!!!! Maybe..... I'm a good shot with my .30-06 and most of the other boom sticks!! :headbang:

One of Crazy crows.
Good price.
They also carry a "French" with a poll. IF pounding is desired. Tent stakes ,coffee beans. Fingers. Ect.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Oh. With a forge you could use the eye end of your knife making leaf spring...

One forge will make a hawk from a ballpeen hammer you ship.
Debated about one of my Gramps hammers.

Attachments

• 1725424617542.png
    1725424617542.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 2

Yikes!

Dixie Gun Works.
Track of the Wolf.
Crazy Crow.

Carry tomahawks.

Axe? Don't hit yourself.
Don't throw it.

A couple of my throwing 'hawks. The one on the left is the one I learned with. Bought at a gun show in San Jose, CA in the 80's for $15.
The one on the right is a really nice forged one with custom made handle by a local guy. Still less than $75 and maintains an edge forever.
IMG_7635.JPG

A couple of my throwing 'hawks. The one on the left is the one I learned with. Bought at a gun show in San Jose, CA in the 80's for $15.
The one on the right is a really nice forged one with custom made handle by a local guy. Still less than $75 and maintains an edge forever.View attachment 2166931
Hickory on the right?
Nice hawks.(Nice!)
A lot of miles on your first one's handle. And still ready!

Hickory on the right?
Nice hawks.(Nice!)
A lot of miles on your first one's handle. And still ready!
No idea on that wood, but it's hard as steel and yet light. That hawk throws itself!

So been a stress going from one town to another since covid.
Here now out from the owner who made out long term but bailed after a few fix ups. Previous to this owners from a horror movie driving us insane.
We were at our end of the tether coming up to the end here.
Months ago I out of hope sent everything I had references from yrs renting to a little town which is lucky to have 1 home come up every few years. We have always loved it like we did this one. Was sending an application for a place in a bigger city which we hate, last option and just before I hit send got a phone call. Seriously, just before send. "Hi are you still interested in a home here?"
I went today. Its a drive away but we love the place and has rich goldfields history.
The old home is being renovated by the owners and it looked awesome.
The real estate lady said "you happy?" Im "yes, when will we know if its ours?"
She said "it is yours, your references are perfect"
Im still pinching myself!
:icon_thumright:

20240903_115310.jpg

1712 pirate Cobb.....besides Brandon Clifford on the whydah wreck....I'm the only person recovering pirate coins !!.....or should I say coin...not coins....only found one. But I get one most times I try here !! Details are fantastic!!

So been a stress going from one town to another since covid.
Here now out from the owner who made out long term but bailed after a few fix ups. Previous to this owners from a horror movie driving us insane.
We were at our end of the tether coming up to the end here.
Months ago I out of hope sent everything I had references from yrs renting to a little town which is lucky to have 1 home come up every few years. We have always loved it like we did this one. Was sending an application for a place in a bigger city which we hate, last option and just before I hit send got a phone call. Seriously, just before send. "Hi are you still interested in a home here?"
I went today. Its a drive away but we love the place and has rich goldfields history.
The old home is being renovated by the owners and it looked awesome.
The real estate lady said "you happy?" Im "yes, when will we know if its ours?"
She said "it is yours, your references are perfect"
Im still pinching myself!
:icon_thumright:
That's wonderful news Chilli. So when is the move?

Hope it is a great place for a long-term. You don't need the stress of shelter on the top of the list.

Having the rich gold field history around is a sweet bonus.

View attachment 2166961
1712 pirate Cobb.....besides Brandon Clifford on the whydah wreck....I'm the only person recovering pirate coins !!.....or should I say coin...not coins....only found one. But I get one most times I try here !! Details are fantastic!!
Congratulations Bart!
Pirate treasure, you are digging the dream.
Give us the flip side photo when you can.
Good on ya Bart!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back