THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

I had a trifecta type day, then ended it on a oh crap.
1: Got the dump truck started.
2: Picked up the 5000 tractor, it has a alternator instead of a generator.
3: Winched, pulled, slid, the skidsteer back up the garden slope.
(Should of had a remote option for the tractor winch)

To end the day I threw the drive belt on the ride on lawnmower.
My own bloody fault chasing a big fat Mole in the berry patch.
Was thinking too quick, saw it running, I followed, dropped the mowing deck, hit a big patch of cut grass.
Mole lived for another day.😡

I had a trifecta type day, then ended it on a oh crap.
1: Got the dump truck started.
2: Picked up the 5000 tractor, it has a alternator instead of a generator.
3: Winched, pulled, slid, the skidsteer back up the garden slope.
(Should of had a remote option for the tractor winch)

To end the day I threw the drive belt on the ride on lawnmower.
My own bloody fault chasing a big fat Mole in the berry patch.
Was thinking too quick, saw it running, I followed, dropped the mowing deck, hit a big patch of cut grass.
Mole lived for another day.😡
Heavy prybar trying to move truck crossover toolbox used for storage alongside shed for industrial (giant!) chains ect. onto tractor clamp on forks.
I may have moved some vertebrate around more than the box.
Took the chains out. No small feat. Remembered they are seriously heavy by doing so.
Even then the tractor could only minimally lift the box. It has some woodstove prototype parts and some tractor parts in it still.
Got it all moved though and started trying to level the ground there.
Roofing folks arrive tomorrow to re shingle house and shed. Now they can get a ladder to both sides of the shed.

Roofing folks arrive tomorrow to re shingle house and shed.
There will be a lot of that going on around here after all the hail the other day. Unfortunately the inspectors said our roof didn't show any significant hail damage. But we're getting it redone anyway. 20 years old and shingles are starting to come off.

There will be a lot of that going on around here after all the hail the other day. Unfortunately the inspectors said our roof didn't show any significant hail damage. But we're getting it redone anyway. 20 years old and shingles are starting to come off.
We were around 12-14 years since the last reroofing.
Last Nov. a hailstorm did more damage than I thought to the roof. A bruise through to the fabric of the shingles in multiple places is my best description.
Truck dented up though! Noticed that a lot sooner. The folding cover especially.

Nationwide.....A person can climb a ladder and swing a hammer/stapler or even pick up debris off the ground could stay busy all year if they wanted...
People getting hit that weren't squared up from prior storms yet.
That is a lot of materials too!

Truck dented up though!
Yep. Ruined the windshield on one of our vehicles (fortunately and old one that is rarely driven). Really not that bad, but won't pass inspection like that. Other people in the area fared much worse.

Attachments

• IMG_4811.jpeg
    IMG_4811.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 13
We were around 12-14 years since the last reroofing.
Last Nov. a hailstorm did more damage than I thought to the roof. A bruise through to the fabric of the shingles in multiple places is my best description.
Truck dented up though! Noticed that a lot sooner. The folding cover especially.

Nationwide.....A person can climb a ladder and swing a hammer/stapler or even pick up debris off the ground could stay busy all year if they wanted...
People getting hit that weren't squared up from prior storms yet.
That is a lot of materials too!
I hear this often roofs getting redone every X amount of years.
"Yes we put 20 yr shingles on the last time, lasted 12 yrs.

I'm thinking this will make the 3rd time.
So original, then rip off, reshingle, the rip off and then the 3rd roof job.

I say bite the bullet and go steel. Do it once and forget about the roof.

Yes the $$$ is more, but the end costs are lower.
The shrubs and flower beds won't have a bunch of nails, bits of shingles, or trampled to death by Billy Bob the roofing grunt that doesn't care. (Still is buzzing from the 3 Red Bull breakfast.)
Steel can still have a good look.
20240530_124201.jpg

I hear this often roofs getting redone every X amount of years.
"Yes we put 20 yr shingles on the last time, lasted 12 yrs.

I'm thinking this will make the 3rd time.
So original, then rip off, reshingle, the rip off and then the 3rd roof job.

Yes the $$$ is more, but the end costs are lower.
The shrubs and flower beds won't have a bunch of nails, bits of shingles, or trampled to death by Billy Bob the roofing grunt that doesn't care. (Still is buzzing from the 3 Red Bull breakfast.)
Steel can still have a good look.
View attachment 2151794
Debated about it.
Will go steel on the pole barn.

We really wanted to do that, and for exactly the reasons you cite. Unfortunately, of the companies we talked to about it, one couldn't do it at all, one couldn't do it the way we wanted it, and the one who could do it quoted a price that was literally enough to buy an entire new house. We opted to go with 30 year shingles at 1/6 the price of metal. Yeah, it sucks, and we'd have rather had metal, but at the price they wanted it just wasn't realistic.

We really wanted to do that, and for exactly the reasons you cite. Unfortunately, of the companies we talked to about it, one couldn't do it at all, one couldn't do it the way we wanted it, and the one who could do it quoted a price that was literally enough to buy an entire new house. We opted to go with 30 year shingles at 1/6 the price of metal. Yeah, it sucks, and we'd have rather had metal, but at the price they wanted it just wasn't realistic.
We had a 10" pine branch put a small hole in the overhang on the back of the garage.
Lowest quote was $35K to replace the 3yr old roof.
They didn't make that color anymore so the color would be different from the house. They quoted another $65K to do the switch.
The insurance company was 😡😭.
After many phone calls and wrangling I took a payout for the garage roof, and patched the dime sized hole.

Metal roofs a great but do not get the type with exposed gasket screws. Get the snap lock where all the screws/fasteners are hidden. Sometimes they will still put one screw between the ridges at the roof edge. That's OK as they are easily accessible to retighten.
I asked the roofer originally what he thought made a good roof.
Following visit told him I meant in a metal roof. He too insisted upon no exposed fasteners.

Been 7 yrs since we had the ceiling drywall installed and sprayed.
(Where does the time go) :dontknow:
Bought a stain glass hanging light 5 yrs ago.
Helped a neighbor out emptying 2 tractor trailers of stuff.
Found this light intact on the bottom part of the pile.
I really don't know how it survived.

(Guy that loaded the trailer swore it was the driver that made it such a mess)🤣🤣🤣

So I needed something to connect the shade to the ceiling (medallion cover?)

Hanging it above the stairs so it's up there.
Looked around the storage, found some things, made one.
It's 5"×6"
20240530_094749.jpg
20190604_090015.jpg
20190604_103454.jpg
20240530_120037.jpg

You can slip over later a put the drive belt back on mine if you want.😁
Had to go get a battery. They had only 2 left on the shelf pushed way back so a normal person might miss them. Luckily for me I’m used to having to look for what I need and got down on my hands and knees lol. I figured they were trying to hide them for someone else. I got my battery lol

Your season is well ahead of ours.
Our blueberries are usually the 21st of July.

Just ordered up some bird control netting for the Haskaps 16'×328' roll.
I have 2-160ft rows

Without protection the bird population will have 99% of the crop.
Have to complete the electic fence project.
I noticed the strawberries are forming.
I'm sure the racoon is having salivating dreams.
Bird netting. Reminds me of the last place we lived where there was a nice cherry tree on the property we rented. The owner came around before they were ready and put a big net over them all. He told us we couldn't have any that they were all his and his wifes. Well he came back and forward as usual breaking the rental rules every week by coming onto the property going to the garage that was supposed to be ours doing things. He never once picked a cherry and after they had all ripened then rotted in the net he removed it. 😃

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back