THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Screenshot_20240529_132958_Google.jpg

Famous river, fishing, jet boat races, Zane Grey even had/has a cabin on the banks of the Rogue river. Great gold too! But be careful !!!

CURRY COUNTY, Ore. -- Ten people -- two teachers, five students and three law enforcement officers -- were rescued from the Rogue River around Huntly Park about a week ago, the Curry County Sheriff's Office announced today.

"The Juveniles and teachers were on a 7th - 8th grade trip from Surprise Valley School in California," the release said. "They were told that Huntly Park was a good place to swim, and that's why they were in that area."

According to the release, it started when police got a report at about 3:28 p.m. of seven people -- the two teachers and five students -- clinging to the rocks on the opposite side of the river from Huntly Park.
"The subjects were yelling that they could not hang on to the rocks any longer," the release said. "(A deputy and two officers) made the decision to attempt to swim across the river to assist the subjects."

Two of the seven people were swept down the river along with the deputy and a Gold Beach Police Department Officer, the release said.

A sergeant and lieutenant arrived at the scene and found a teacher and a student trying to swim on their backs, and a man struggling to stay afloat, the release said.
A sergeant and lieutenant arrived at the scene and found a teacher and a student trying to swim on their backs, and a man struggling to stay afloat, the release said. They went to rescue the man first since he was seen going underwater several times, and they realized that the man was the officer from the Gold Beach Police Department.

"(The GBPD police officer) was pulled from under the water by Lieutenant Denney and pulled onto the swim platform of the boat," the release said. "With Lieutenant Denney hanging onto the GBPD Officer, Sgt Gray then maneuvered the boat back down river and was able to secure (the teacher and student.)"

The sergeant then took the boat to shore with the teacher and student hanging from the side of the boat, the release said. The teacher, student and GBPD officer were all brought safely to shore. This brought three of the 10 people to safety.

As this was happening, a private fishing boat arrived at the scene, the release said. This private boat rescued the other Gold Beach Police Department officer and sheriff deputy from the water, bringing the total rescued to five.

"One female juvenile was then transported by REACH Helicopter to Three Rivers Hospital in Grants Pass. One GBPD officer, the other four juveniles, and two teachers were then transported to Curry General Hospital for treatment," the release said. "All subjects were treated for different stages of hypothermia. One GBPD officer is still in the hospital being treated for complications related to the incident, all others were treated and eventually released. ...The 10 subjects that were in the water during the incident are predicted to make a full recovery."

Famous river, fishing, jet boat races, Zane Grey even had/has a cabin on the banks of the Rogue river. Great gold too! But be careful !!!

CURRY COUNTY, Ore. -- Ten people -- two teachers, five students and three law enforcement officers -- were rescued from the Rogue River around Huntly Park about a week ago, the Curry County Sheriff's Office announced today.

"The Juveniles and teachers were on a 7th - 8th grade trip from Surprise Valley School in California," the release said. "They were told that Huntly Park was a good place to swim, and that's why they were in that area."

According to the release, it started when police got a report at about 3:28 p.m. of seven people -- the two teachers and five students -- clinging to the rocks on the opposite side of the river from Huntly Park.
"The subjects were yelling that they could not hang on to the rocks any longer," the release said. "(A deputy and two officers) made the decision to attempt to swim across the river to assist the subjects."

Two of the seven people were swept down the river along with the deputy and a Gold Beach Police Department Officer, the release said.

A sergeant and lieutenant arrived at the scene and found a teacher and a student trying to swim on their backs, and a man struggling to stay afloat, the release said.
A sergeant and lieutenant arrived at the scene and found a teacher and a student trying to swim on their backs, and a man struggling to stay afloat, the release said. They went to rescue the man first since he was seen going underwater several times, and they realized that the man was the officer from the Gold Beach Police Department.

"(The GBPD police officer) was pulled from under the water by Lieutenant Denney and pulled onto the swim platform of the boat," the release said. "With Lieutenant Denney hanging onto the GBPD Officer, Sgt Gray then maneuvered the boat back down river and was able to secure (the teacher and student.)"

The sergeant then took the boat to shore with the teacher and student hanging from the side of the boat, the release said. The teacher, student and GBPD officer were all brought safely to shore. This brought three of the 10 people to safety.

As this was happening, a private fishing boat arrived at the scene, the release said. This private boat rescued the other Gold Beach Police Department officer and sheriff deputy from the water, bringing the total rescued to five.

"One female juvenile was then transported by REACH Helicopter to Three Rivers Hospital in Grants Pass. One GBPD officer, the other four juveniles, and two teachers were then transported to Curry General Hospital for treatment," the release said. "All subjects were treated for different stages of hypothermia. One GBPD officer is still in the hospital being treated for complications related to the incident, all others were treated and eventually released. ...The 10 subjects that were in the water during the incident are predicted to make a full recovery."
Isn't that the river in the John Wayne/Katherine Hepburn movie, Rooster Cogburn? If so, it looked like a pretty wild river.

I had to look it up.

While the story is set in Arkansa, Rooster Cogburn was primarily filmed in Oregon. The movie started filming in 1974 and key locales include The Ryan Ranch at Deshutes National forest while the river sequences were shot on the Rogue River in Josephine County.

Mornin all.

Lest there be any doubt , yes someone can sprain a finger pursuing a spider on the ceiling.
(The spider being on the ceiling. )
Try this one.

Attachments

• IMG_3919.jpeg
    IMG_3919.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Try this one.
That looks like a tiny wolf spider. They can get really big. The biggest one I ever saw was the size of a dinner plate. They're scary looking but harmless. If they're outside I just leave them be. If they're inside I try to encourage them to be outside (generally by catching and relocating them).

Good sized jumping spider I was coxing out of the way at work today. Had to pick him up and move him. He was holding his ground.

Attachments

• 7AC4DF63-0627-42A7-B4F2-B1245D608C2F.jpeg
    7AC4DF63-0627-42A7-B4F2-B1245D608C2F.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 1E12CAE7-1A44-413C-8C3D-993F63DCC3A0.jpeg
    1E12CAE7-1A44-413C-8C3D-993F63DCC3A0.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 9
  • 51E2D2F8-4736-4262-9A49-52444BDCD63A.jpeg
    51E2D2F8-4736-4262-9A49-52444BDCD63A.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 8
Good sized jumping spider I was coxing out of the way at work today. Had to pick him up and move him. He was holding his ground.
I have a small one living on my shop door.
Must of jump 8" down the door, face in a different direction.
I told it I was impressed. 🤣

When we started building this truck my wife was dead set on me painting it “really nice”. I tried to explain how much time it takes……..

“I didn’t think it’d take this loooooooong”

Sigh. At least if wet sanding an buffing out nice.

Attachments

• E6C6B3C5-D27C-4965-AA0D-62461FE24CE3.jpeg
    E6C6B3C5-D27C-4965-AA0D-62461FE24CE3.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 407D0B70-721C-4062-8898-C76C3D4040F2.jpeg
    407D0B70-721C-4062-8898-C76C3D4040F2.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 11
I have a small one living on my shop door.
Must of jump 8" down the door, face in a different direction.
I told it I was impressed. 🤣
They are cool little things. I can’t tell if they are friendly and checking you out or if they all have personality’s like they were raised in Boston? 🤔

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back