THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

lossless-page1-1024px-Peck_correction_2003.tif.png

Alrigfht. What the heck.

I'd be lobbying for a lost wax cast copy before surrender should it be confiscated.
Lost wax is a brilliant idea.
Visiting rights would be another.
Confiscated gives a wrong impression to many.
It does need to be documented, has to be evaluated, this might take even a few years.
If there's no interest the finder gets the find back sooner. (Common finds)

Lost wax is a brilliant idea.
Visiting rights would be another.
Confiscated gives a wrong impression to many.
It does need to be documented, has to be evaluated, this might take even a few years.
If there's no interest the finder gets the find back sooner. (Common finds)
Good reasons to not tell anyone when finding something cool....

Good reasons to not tell anyone when finding something cool....
But the reason for PAS is to record the history.
I'm not even sure if the exact percentage but I'll go out on a limb and say 99% of anything they look at or record is returned.
True there are folks don't say anything, but then they risk the other option.
Confiscation, fines, court, and charges, the sentence of possible jail time.
In the extreme cases.

Most of the museums are short on $$$ so they return the items.
Disclaim the treasures.
Even hoards.

But the reason for PAS is to record the history.
I'm not even sure if the exact percentage but I'll go out on a limb and say 99% of anything they look at or record is returned.
True there are folks don't say anything, but then they risk the other option.
Confiscation, fines, court, and charges, the sentence of possible jail time.
In the extreme cases.

Most of the museums are short on $$$ so they return the items.
Disclaim the treasures.
Even hoards.
Well excuse my terminology for" being taken into receivership upon surrender."

Seems rare enough a piece already to reserve for museum archival material.

Not my site. Antiquities laws are what they are.
England has relics to show for it there. Explains such laws purpose. Thou public mayest gaze fondly upon my recoveries! L.o.l..
Were I to detect in England I'd be mindful as anywhere about the laws. The crown wanted to eye and decide if a recovery goes to me or it ; I'm not going to argue about it there.
Might dig a sloppy plug or two after...

Well excuse my terminology for" being taken into receivership upon surrender."

Seems rare enough a piece already to reserve for museum archival material.

Not my site. Antiquities laws are what they are.
England has relics to show for it there. Explains such laws purpose. Thou public mayest gaze fondly upon my recoveries! L.o.l..
Were I to detect in England I'd be mindful as anywhere about the laws. The crown wanted to eye and decide if a recovery goes to me or it ; I'm not going to argue about it there.
Might dig a sloppy plug or two after...
Yes it's only terminology.

It seems to work (meaning PAS) in folks to report, but there will be the percentage that refuse/scared/or greedy.

I guess the alternative in my countries is it's the Gov'ts regardless, then I think that would suck even more.

Detect/find/hand it over/maybe get a wee reward.
Now that would be a confiscation classification.

Yes it's only terminology.

It seems to work (meaning PAS) in folks to report, but there will be the percentage that refuse/scared/or greedy.

I guess the alternative in my countries is it's the Gov'ts regardless, then I think that would suck even more.

Detect/find/hand it over/maybe get a wee reward.
Now that would be a confiscation classification.
Getting caught with the wrong relic would slightly tarnish ones reputation. After relieving the wallet.
Then spend the rest of ones detecting career peeking over a shoulder and glancing upward at the sky.
And being followed.
L.o.l..

This guy had a big deal going on in a non detecting matter. Well , still does .. But shows some of what goes on with rare stuff surfacing in someones possession.
Thinking a D.A. 's (district attorney) property is involved.
That or the D.A. had pictures of the buck on his property distant from where the buck was alleged to have been killed. Not that a buck can't travel. Or trot ten miles in a short amount of time.

But being on the up and up means not having contrary evidence too.
And as usual we get fragments of what's really going on.

Getting caught with the wrong relic would slightly tarnish ones reputation. After relieving the wallet.
Then spend the rest of ones detecting career peeking over a shoulder and glancing upward at the sky.
And being followed.
L.o.l..

This guy had a big deal going on in a non detecting matter. Well , still does .. But shows some of what goes on with rare stuff surfacing in someones possession.
Thinking a D.A. 's (district attorney) property is involved.
That or the D.A. had pictures of the buck on his property distant from where the buck was alleged to have been killed. Not that a buck can't travel. Or trot ten miles in a short amount of time.

But being on the up and up means not having contrary evidence too.
And as usual we get fragments of what's really going on.

I remember that one being posted up, and it being a possible record rack-now turning into a fine of $30.5K.

It is well known if a person does a crime do it by oneself, or one other person.
Reason is because if caught and they stick to the story it might pass, if not they know who said different.
Now that there's already 3 involved-there's holes shot in the details already.

SoCal is getting swamped. Example: Santa Barbara airport (now closed) record rain before yesterday was 1/2 inch. Yesterday, it received 2.5 inches and it's still raining. Other areas receiving up to 5 inches in a 24-hour period. Here in north SD county, we're about to get hit between 9AM and noon. No doubt tonight your local TV may show the damage.
Don in SoCal.
Screenshot_20240205_144628_Chrome.jpg

A quick note: I did some field walking this afternoon. Found a few pieces of flint and a few cool rocks.
The noteworthy part: Iowa, February 5th and I have on a short sleeve t-shirt and shorts. 50 degrees F.
Who’d a thunk it? We’re having the winter that used to belong to northern Arkansas.

It is well known if a person does a crime do it by oneself, or one other person.
There was a morning radio show I used to listen to that had a saying about such things...

"No photos, no video, don't write anything down -- deny, deny, deny!"

Nothing like coming home from work ready for dinner and finding out that your power is off and will be off for 2 hours. They claim a tree fell on the power line. That’s one big tree cause nobody has power in my area for miles.
10 hrs last week for a tree.

A quick note: I did some field walking this afternoon. Found a few pieces of flint and a few cool rocks.
The noteworthy part: Iowa, February 5th and I have on a short sleeve t-shirt and shorts. 50 degrees F.
Who’d a thunk it? We’re having the winter that used to belong to northern Arkansas.
50 degrees & shorts/t-shirts?!!!! I wear a Hoodie when it gets below 65!:sad10:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back