THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Will they take it from you if it's rare and one of a kind....that would crush me !! And if they do keep it....do they pay you for it ?
It will be recorded, then they'll decide on disclaiming it, if they decide to keep it-then it's a purchase.
Usually it's worked out that the finder, and the land owner each get 50% of that money.
If there is an agreement between the landowner, and the finder that is, but usually it's a 50/50.

When the experts are scratching the head trying do figure out what type it is actually, then one knows that they have either a new type-or a very rare scarce type.
Either way it's just brilliant that the ship's blossom is having a suspense filled time waiting for an answer.

20240204_104346.jpg

Turned out to be surcingle buckle, and strap sliders. Either tack related for saddle blanket, or cinch strap for any number of uses....mine are hand cast and older than newer. They are most likely bronze, as they are still very strong, unlike copper would be.

View attachment 2129632
Turned out to be surcingle buckle, and strap sliders. Either tack related for saddle blanket, or cinch strap for any number of uses....mine are hand cast and older than newer. They are most likely bronze, as they are still very strong, unlike copper would be.
IT is called a "cinch buckle".

SoCal is getting swamped. Example: Santa Barbara airport (now closed) record rain before yesterday was 1/2 inch. Yesterday, it received 2.5 inches and it's still raining. Other areas receiving up to 5 inches in a 24-hour period. Here in north SD county, we're about to get hit between 9AM and noon. No doubt tonight your local TV may show the damage.
Don in SoCal.

Thinking I might leave Wednesday morning at 4am.....this would have me at bonsteel-aquarina by 8am at the latest. I could stay till Friday night....dosent give me alot of time, but weather say 40 mph from north east all day Wednesday......thats a tremendous erosion event !! There are three locations for emeralds, and I'd like to hunt those spots as well as some coin spots. If it's good I could beg my wife to stay through Saturday night.....well see.
I post the wind event on the other post up, looking like Tuesday rather than Wednesday for the higher winds.
Didn't look at the tide schedule though.
See the winds on timeline.

Screen Shot 2024-02-05 at 9.09.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-05 at 9.10.38 AM.png

Well I saw WD post on blossoms 🌸 thread, so she must just be taking a break from ships life on the RCT. Glad she's good, and I bet she's watching from time to time !!👋👋👋🫡🫡😂
Or.....somebody hijacked milady's account? :angry1:

Well I have a dumb question I think ? I've been finding little brick, or mortar plugs. At first I thought they were from homes, and had to do with construction. But now I realize that they must be marine related. I first found these in the bahamas, and now on an isolated beach with no homes.....they must come from the sea. I think they may be related to boats/ships of the 1800s ?? View attachment 2129613View attachment 2129614
If these were butt plugs-I mean boat plugs- bloody auto correct. :laughing7:

From seeing/owning emergency kit all the plugs were tapered instead of straight sided.
Just thinking outlaid here as a tapered plugs are used for the purpose of binding into the hole.
The straight sided plug could be driven straight through the hole.

Then again maybe this thought holds no water.

I post the wind event on the other post up, looking like Tuesday rather than Wednesday for the higher winds.
Didn't look at the tide schedule though.
See the winds on timeline.

View attachment 2129638View attachment 2129639
Blowing stronger, but wrong direction.....north is better on Wednesday for erosion, and north east is best on Friday and that's the desired direction. It's hitting me now, and it's a down pour north west winds should follow, and then north east as it clocks around back to the east south east !! I wanted those stronger winds from the north east not offshore northwest. It should still be good since a vast amount of renourishment sand has been swept away in previous storms this season. Surf is big since yesterday, and a ground swell is hitting now also !! All the way from north Florida to Palm Beach has high surf !! I need to check tide timing now....like bill black said.....its the timing that's key !!

Morning world!! Hope ur all having a fab start to ur week! xx 🤗

Well ive had to take the am off work.. didnt get much sleep last night… it appears my gold coin is indeed quite special… no one can find a match.. its being shared with the experts as i type… … as u can imagine its a bit terrifying… in a good way xx 😳
Don't let Mr. Woo eat it!

Well I have a dumb question I think ? I've been finding little brick, or mortar plugs. At first I thought they were from homes, and had to do with construction. But now I realize that they must be marine related. I first found these in the bahamas, and now on an isolated beach with no homes.....they must come from the sea. I think they may be related to boats/ships of the 1800s ?? View attachment 2129613View attachment 2129614
Dang it Bart.
It's morning.
Oh wait , it's morning...

Fiber? Cork?
Why didn't they float away?
Any pitch indications?

Smooth bore wadding comes to mind. Over powder , or under shot wads. Over powder can be thinner and more a card. But who knows for blunderbuss and swivel or pivot guns.

You work wood so are familier with some expanding more when wet used as plugs.
Here in timber construction seen in barn post and beam builds from way back , square locust (one type of long duration) pegs had thier corners knocked off partway to start them on tenon holes ect. Then driven in for the square peg round hole, I now pronounce you married type juncture.

[Hi there, I just answered a different question regarding ship damage in this sub -- I will link there for resources from Google books:

Regarding cannon fire, the main concern would be actual holes in the ship's hull that were leaking water. A secondary concern would be structural damage to the ship's hull, related to actual cannon fire but not as the result of direct damage/holes, that would loosen space between planks and allow water to enter that way.

Depending on the size of the hole, ships' carpenters and carpenters' mates could use shot plugs to try to stem the flow of water. Shot plugs were tapered cylinders that could fit several sizes of hole (fatter side to the outside). Working over the side of the ship, they could hammer shot plugs into holes, which would theoretically be held in place by water pressure while they worked on a more permanent patch.

For larger holes or those more difficult to be plugged, they could do something called "fothering" a sail. To do that, they would sew pieces of rope fibers, yarn, twine or shakings through a spare sail, giving it the look of an old-time quilt and increasing the density of the sail. They would lower the fothered sail over the side and maneuver it to cover the hole; although it was not wateright, it might slow the leak and allow repairs to be made.

For major structural damage, cables (ropes) could be wrapped around the ship and tightened to tighten the seams between the hull planks.

Pumping ship was a daily occupation anyhow, because all wooden ships leaked, and they were fitted with pumps. So pumping would be ongoing during the other damage control operations.]

These have been a mystery for some time now?? They look to be made of mortar ?? They are all the same size, and I find them in shallow water at certain beaches.....old beaches. I've been embarrassed to ask about them because I thought it was something obvious that I wasn't getting....now I think they mean something? I only picked up 2 but there were many of them on the beach.
17071471727643526119298678984289.jpg
17071472413237006193358855630901.jpg

I've had many possibilities but nothing definite some sort of redish stone or mortar.

These have been a mystery for some time now?? They look to be made of mortar ?? They are all the same size, and I find them in shallow water at certain beaches.....old beaches. I've been embarrassed to ask about them because I thought it was something obvious that I wasn't getting....now I think they mean something? I only picked up 2 but there were many of them on the beach. View attachment 2129646View attachment 2129647
I've had many possibilities but nothing definite some sort of redish stone or mortar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back