THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Well I have a dumb question I think ? I've been finding little brick, or mortar plugs. At first I thought they were from homes, and had to do with construction. But now I realize that they must be marine related. I first found these in the bahamas, and now on an isolated beach with no homes.....they must come from the sea. I think they may be related to boats/ships of the 1800s ??
17071318733663445918128368091243.jpg
17071318936268293047244053312822.jpg

20240205_062708.jpg
20240205_062701.jpg

1733 EO encrusted object. Haven't got the courage up yet to whack it with a hammer. It is mainly iron, but something heavy, and non ferrous is locked in there. Some of the best coins are found like this. Bradley Williamson who dives with Josh gates alot found a killer klippe cobb right in front of me once......about a month later I found a big dated cobb 8 reale right in front of him !! His cobb was fused to a iron spike.....the spike had acted like an anode and saved the coin in perfect condition.....that coin and spike sold for tremendous money.....very, very, few real klippe cobbs out there !! Only found on the 1733 fleet, and only minted one year !!

Cracking an EO, is like cleaving a raw diamond.......countless hours looking it over to try and make a wise first blow !! They usually Crack along the edge of the object, but sometimes the object can be destroyed with one blow. Alternative is to slowly dissolve the encrustation with muriatic acid !!

Well I have a dumb question I think ? I've been finding little brick, or mortar plugs. At first I thought they were from homes, and had to do with construction. But now I realize that they must be marine related. I first found these in the bahamas, and now on an isolated beach with no homes.....they must come from the sea. I think they may be related to boats/ships of the 1800s ?? View attachment 2129613View attachment 2129614
Petrified campfire marshmellow ?

Petrified campfire marshmellow ?
I think they put this in trenell holes like mortar, and they fall out as the planks rot and disintegrate......what ever they are I find them in wreck areas, and salvage camps of the wreckers. If they are ship related, I'm thinking this can help me date the sites.....seems they were used at a certain time period !! Im guessing at all this, and they could be petrified camp fire marshmallows!! Haaaa 😂🤣

I think they put this in trenell holes like mortar, and they fall out as the planks rot and disintegrate......what ever they are I find them in wreck areas, and salvage camps of the wreckers. If they are ship related, I'm thinking this can help me date the sites.....seems they were used at a certain time period !! Im guessing at all this, and they could be petrified camp fire marshmallows!! Haaaa 😂🤣
BArt.... i do know that "plugs" were common among ships... when one would have a hole they would make proper hole and drive a plug with pitch.
Not saying that this is indeed what you are finding... but hey... who knows.

BArt.... i do know that "plugs" were common among ships... when one would have a hole they would make proper hole and drive a plug with pitch.
Not saying that this is indeed what you are finding... but hey... who knows.
Ya....im unfamiliar with those techniques, but the Epiphany im having is that these are some sort of mortar used to plug recessed trennels ? Kind of excited to investigate this....always cool to verify, or rule out a theory.....if im right these could be valuable to me as indicators of a wreck !!

Ya....im unfamiliar with those techniques, but the Epiphany im having is that these are some sort of mortar used to plug recessed trennels ? Kind of excited to investigate this....always cool to verify, or rule out a theory.....if im right these could be valuable to me as indicators of a wreck !!
Well think about it... every ship carried at least several versed in "onsite repair"...
You were dead in the water without the supplies and tools to make repairs...
Leaking ships... wounded ships... terredo wormed hulls... etc etc... made repairs an almost daily occurrence on many ships.
To keep her afloat on many ships was a full time job and crew were versed in doing so...
failure to do so would most often equal more problems and more so...
A watery fate.

I really hope to up my game across the board....once we get into the warm water time this boat will be a new world for me. Having to rely on others for boat rides, or doing all my exploration with my bosses is not always optimal. They want to leave, or fish, or go somewhere else. Now I can make a plan and execute it all on my own. My biggest hurtle has been learning the go pro, and getting my videos edited and downloaded. I'm very close to making a polished video, and I've learned alot from the Brave Wilderness crew. I have one last hurtle to clear before I can make a real youtube channel, and that's getting my content transferred from camera equipment, to editing laptop, and then to social media.....once I get smooth at this, I'll start a new youtube channel exploring wrecks new and old !! From cuban rafts to spanish galleons.....I'd like to film them all, and share them.....every one is an adventure and unique.

Thinking I might leave Wednesday morning at 4am.....this would have me at bonsteel-aquarina by 8am at the latest. I could stay till Friday night....dosent give me alot of time, but weather say 40 mph from north east all day Wednesday......thats a tremendous erosion event !! There are three locations for emeralds, and I'd like to hunt those spots as well as some coin spots. If it's good I could beg my wife to stay through Saturday night.....well see.

Thinking I might leave Wednesday morning at 4am.....this would have me at bonsteel-aquarina by 8am at the latest. I could stay till Friday night....dosent give me alot of time, but weather say 40 mph from north east all day Wednesday......thats a tremendous erosion event !! There are three locations for emeralds, and I'd like to hunt those spots as well as some coin spots. If it's good I could beg my wife to stay through Saturday night.....well see.
I'm hoping to make it down there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back