THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Thanks pepper 🌶.... had a horrible night's sleep on this pig, so im ready to get going so I can take a proper nap on the couch !!
Screen Shot 2023-10-11 at 6.32.06 AM.png

She's a European Starling -- one of only two wild birds you can legally possess without a permit in the United States (the other is a sparrow). We raised her from a featherless chick when her sibling fell from the nest and the mother abandoned the remaining chicks. She's thoroughly imprinted on us now and wouldn't survive in the wild but that's OK because she's a great pet. She likes playing on the desk while I work, or taking a nap on my finger. She can even talk. 8-)

View attachment 2109251 View attachment 2109250

Very cool and beautiful... one of our other shipmates here also has some beautiful birds... but i cannot remember what type exactly they were... parrot types i would say... hmmm
Will have to see if TreasureHunter catches this posting for he is who i am speaking about.

Very cool and beautiful... one of our other shipmates here also has some beautiful birds... but i cannot remember what type exactly they were... parrot types i would say... hmmm
Will have to see if TreasureHunter catches this posting for he is who i am speaking about.
@treasurehunter

She's a European Starling -- one of only two wild birds you can legally possess without a permit in the United States (the other is a sparrow). We raised her from a featherless chick when her sibling fell from the nest and the mother abandoned the remaining chicks. She's thoroughly imprinted on us now and wouldn't survive in the wild but that's OK because she's a great pet. She likes playing on the desk while I work, or taking a nap on my finger. She can even talk. 8-)

View attachment 2109251 View attachment 2109250

Didn't know those tame. The sparrows here look much different. Only thing I've raised here is the sparrow hawk lol. Had a young one show up unable to fly raised it up till it could was a cool experience. The sparrows here are little brown and white birds. In the summer I find their eggs all over and young constantly falling out of trees they are pests around where I live.

The sparrows here look much different.
PeeWee is a European Starling. Sparraws do look different. :-). But, since you mention it, I do have a sparrow story. We befriended one last year. It was winter and the poor thing was curled up in the corner by the door of the shop. He seemed to be in distress. He didn't try to fly when I approached so I picked him up and brought him inside. He didn't even resist. Turns out the little guy had only one leg, so with the snow, he was probably having trouble finding food. We left him inside for a couple of weeks, giving him grain and seeds. He got much better and when it warmed up we let him back outside, and away he went. But now we always hang a feeder near where we found him and he comes to visit every now and then. We named him Jack. Jack the Sparrow. 8-)

Here is when I found him huddled in the corner.
IMG_9253.jpeg

And here he is nside, safe and warm and happy eating grain.
IMG_9433.jpeg IMG_9266.jpeg

(Yeah, I know, we're the bird whisperers.)

PeeWee is a European Starling. Sparraws do look different. :-). But, since you mention it, I do have a sparrow story. We befriended one last year. It was winter and the poor thing was curled up in the corner by the door of the shop. He seemed to be in distress. He didn't try to fly when I approached so I picked him up and brought him inside. He didn't even resist. Turns out the little guy had only one leg, so with the snow, he was probably having trouble finding food. We left him inside for a couple of weeks, giving him grain and seeds. He got much better and when it warmed up we let him back outside, and away he went. But now we always hang a feeder near where we found him and he comes to visit every now and then. We named him Jack. Jack the Sparrow. 8-)

Here is when I found him huddled in the corner.
View attachment 2109283

And here he is nside, safe and warm and happy eating grain.
View attachment 2109282 View attachment 2109281

(Yeah, I know, we're the bird whisperers.)
Those are more what ours look like here in central California. I don't save them here. Not because I don't want to but become their are so many that fall from trees here. We have swarms of them in our trees. But very nice that you helped it out. I always help critters out when it is possible.

If they take to using a piece of furniture for their scratching post.
Clear double sided tape stops it.
It works and even after we removed it, they never did it again.
(In that spot)🤣

If it only would be this.
The chace each others with an incredible speed and all which is in their way gets run over! :laughing7:
Btw. they are sisters. Never before seeing cats loving each other so much :love10:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back