THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Screenshot_20230821_135819_Google.jpg

What it means to have the title of "WATERMAN" here in the keys.....or any island chain.....is that you are literally a Renaissance man of the water !! Your not good at just swimming, or just fishing, or even just a good captain......it means you are accomplished to the point of being competitive with the best in anything water related !! This has always been what I've strived for, and if that title is bestowed on you by the community as whole at the age of 13, that means you truly are a prodigy of the water, and a true sea artist 🎨 as the pirates would say !! We lost a 13 year old sea artist 🎨, waterman, and island prodigy here !! Sooner or later this kid would have found a coin to ware from the treasure fleet.....its what great islander watermen do.....we have to find the coin so we can add the title of "successfull underwater treasure salvor" I would have been honored to partner with him....sadly I only learned of him through this article !!

RIP LITTLE MAN 🙏🙏
Prayers for peace, strength and comfort for his family and friends.

Holy cow if I go out detecting this evening I'm going to wear a snorkeling mask and have to back paddle with all this humidity!
Hope everyone is staying cool and hydrated.
As for me I'm just going to sit here and reflect on questions that have bothered me for some time.
Like.
14de45139a6e70658a7c97c1e1ca5662d2513d6cb2a81cc56515a140a10f848c.jpg

Last edited:
Okay. As I stated before, my diving friends made a mistake on the first boat dive, got separated from the group, went past the boat, and had to be rescued by another near by dive boat. Well, I knew one of them is not a very good swimmer and she was going to be tired. I elected to pass on the second dive, and I was correct, she passed also. She was traumatized and pissed at the whole operation. I told her I would stay back and just shore dive with her. No big deal. So for two days we took a couple shore dives, drove around the island sight-seeing, and snorkeled with the guys. So here's what I got of the island. It is a dessert island. We never heard of such a thing, but boy, do we know what it is now. Miserably hot! It is a dutch island, but Cargill has the salt mining operation.

In a nutshell, the history goes that the Caiquetios sailed from Venezuela over 1,000 years ago. In 1499, the Spaniards landed and claimed the island. Finding it of little use, they enslaved all of the inhabitants and moved them to the island of Hispaniola to work on the plantations. In 1526, cattle was brought to the island and some of the Caiquetios were brought back as laborers. A few years later other animals like sheep, pigs, donkeys, goats, and horses were brought in. They were pretty much left to roam because they were being raised for their hides and not meat. The animals outnumbered the people. To this day there are donkeys and goats roaming around. There's even a donkey sanctuary that we did not get to go through. Convicts from other Spanish colonies were sent to live there. Sound familiar?

In 1633, The Dutch took possession of the ABC islands, Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao. The latter island became the center of the slave trade. African slaves were brought to Bonaire to work. One major thing was making the salt pans and harvesting solar salt. More on this later.

Let's see if I can get these pics to load now.

And the Flamingos. The island loves her flamingoes. There is a sanctuary east of the salt operations.
With a rock to indicate the area. LOL

Seabird rock.JPG

All of this has flamingos back in there.
Seabird rock 2.JPG

flamingo 1.JPG

flamingo 2.JPG

flamingo 3.JPG

flamingo 4.JPG

flamingo 5.JPG

flamingo 6.JPG

flamingo 7.JPG

flamingo 8.JPG

There were some flying. I tried to follow with my camera and just when I thought I had the shot, I got this stupid tower! LOL Oh well, they were neat to watch fly.

flamingo 9.JPG

flamingo 10.JPG

flamingo 11.JPG

flamingo 12.JPG

flamingo 13.JPG
flamingo 14.JPG

flamingo 15.JPG

flamingo 16.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions