THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

I can't figure that stone out. If it's a ruby it not great quality, but would be natural. I thought it might be coler shift alexandrite.....but its not that either. Maybe it's a rhodalite garnet ? 2 more grams of gold though.....that brings my total up 60 grams since June 3rd !! A little short of last season, and im not finding the big man golds. Still not shabby 🫡🫡
Screen Shot 2023-08-19 at 7.58.21 AM.png

Good morning y'all!
GCP.... Just wanted to clarify some points on the full face mask, and why I've slowly switched over to it in shallow water. The number one reason is that it actually allows me to stay in the water much longer than a traditional mask.....heres why......if I wear a traditional mask my lips 💋 and mouth are constantly exposed to the salt water. After about 3 hours my lips start to get sore and chapped from constantly having the snorkel in my mouth. The full face mask keeps your face mostly dry, and my lips don't get so sore from salt water exposure. Also I've had implant surgery for some of my teeth, and chewing constantly on a snorkel for more than 3 hours at a time can make the mouth sore and is a constant contact with my teeth. The full face mask has none of that issue. Also this mask has a super wide field of vision, which is really nice !!

Now the draw backs......you won't be able to dive deep with this mask because of the large volume of air that gets trapped in it when diving....its very boyuant and takes time to master while diving. Anything over 6-8 feet is a struggle, and the pressure on your face is strong at depth....it took some learning how to dive with it. Usally I'm exhaling slowly while digging at depth. Also there are warnings about dead air being trapped in the mask, and it being difficult to get the proper exchange of fresh and old air. Every now and then I'll give it a long and hard exhale to clear it completely before taking in new fresh air. Again I had to learn this !! Some times the float in the snorkel will get stuck and you cannot draw air in with out tapping the snorkel tube to dislodge the float.....only happens once or twice a day, but can be a surprise if not prepared for it. Every once in awhile its nice to flip it up and actually get your face wet too !! So there are a few drawback, or compromises with it......I still have far less saltwater in my mouth, and can stay in the water more than 5 hours. When I got the gold cuban link I stayed in the water without a break 11am-7pm, 8 hours only stopping to talk or have a sip of water.....this is whats making the difference in my gold count......im flipping hundreds of targets until I hit the gold I know is there !! Obviously if I'm on compressed air at greater depth than 7 feet I have to use the traditional mask.....spearfishing, shell 🐚 diving, and wreck hunting im using the traditional mask to freedive to 30+feet which would be impossible with the full face mask....your just to boyant with it on and the pressure on your sinuses is tremendous at about 15 feet ..... if you can even make it that far !!
Hope that helps a little !!

Purple rhodolite ?? The other thought was carolina ruby.....looks like material from our property in north carolina.....we have a house on the tailings of a former emerald mine on Crabtree creek north Carolina, and sometimes we find rubies that look like this.....my dad's up there moving earth right now.

This new spot will be hot.....while I was there I ran into "Reggie roberts" grand son !! He was swimming in the hole and I had not seen him in 10 years (we used to fish together commercially) immediately he launched into a proposal to find at least 2 bronze cannons buried in the sand his grandfather showed him years ago !! We will go look with my machines because his had water ingress and is toast !! For those of you who don't know.....Reggie Robert's was the first to locate the capitana of the 1733 fleet back in 1948 !! He showed Art McKee this wreck, and Art began the famous salvage of this wreck.....that was the beginning of the modern treasure wreck salvage era !! My friend and mentor Marty meylach would go on to salvage the wreck after Art McKee and discover many great treasures that were not found by Art !! Many secrets remain with the sons and grandsons, and relatives of these great men.....the secrets us locals keep !!
TREASURE SECRETS !!

Purple rhodolite ?? The other thought was carolina ruby.....looks like material from our property in north carolina.....we have a house on the tailings of a former emerald mine on Crabtree creek north Carolina, and sometimes we find rubies that look like this.....my dad's up there moving earth right now.
I'm really not supposed to talk about the gemstone spot in north carolina....as per my father's request......we have had many trespassers digging on our property illegally, and to let you guys in on a secret.....many of the pay to mine spots will buy raw truckloads of gemstone gravel material from our property.....when my father allows !! He is protective of our earth there !!🤫🤫🤫

Good morning mates, popping on here for the first time.
I've been stuck on jury duty for a spell so no fun time for me. Finally done with that and now a big storm rolling through, uuurgh!
My detector is lonely.

Good morning mates, popping on here for the first time.
I've been stuck on jury duty for a spell so no fun time for me. Finally done with that and now a big storm rolling through, uuurgh!
My detector is lonely.
Hello Oldmxrat... welcome to the Random Chat Thread.

Ruby.

Well yesterday I managed to work on the new (used)wood chipper.
Heavier (grade)shear bolt. Greased, longer PTO shaft, honed the knives, and tested it out.

The old gal just had a tad setback. Looked at her knock knee'd look.
Not a good image (kind of reminds me of a cousin that I have. 🤣View attachment 2100125
So I took the tire off and its not going well. View attachment 2100126
Took the hub off the other night, and the outer bearing was totally mashed.
Just the race & inner spool left.
Went over to my buddy's shop, 8 boxes of bearings later, nothing.
He went to the tractor supplier no bearing to be had.
So I will try another tractor supplier this am.
If no bearing I'll have to go looking for a dead scrapper in the world.
Woke up to rain, what a pain.
Was thinking/planning of playing today.
(No grumbling from the Mrs)
I guess my brownie point count must be upper there.😁
So where do I get my feet wet?
Might venture over to a double permission to see if anything has been cut/harvested yet.
Choice of 7 cellar holes, hay/crop/bush/pasture.
Beat to death from yrs of digging, but it beats working on the chore list.
She is toeing out just a little...Ridge running short dirt track oval racing set up kind of angle of the dangle thing specification.
Might want emery cloth on the list to dress the spindle with. Grease. At least one rag to get greasy before dropping in the dirt just before you need to use it again. You know , things you have until you reach for them.

I've had a spare tube of grease wrapped in a bag on the golf cart so long I forgot what it is for.
Likely just a general purpose. But it's clean grease anyways. Enough to handpack a big wheel bearing.

I'm really not supposed to talk about the gemstone spot in north carolina....as per my father's request......we have had many trespassers digging on our property illegally, and to let you guys in on a secret.....many of the pay to mine spots will buy raw truckloads of gemstone gravel material from our property.....when my father allows !! He is protective of our earth there !!🤫🤫🤫
See , finally somewhere I could be of service.
As a friend put it that had me picked for an operation that didn't get built by his crazy but monied sometimes ex father in law, "varmint control guard duty".
Keep trespassers and deer on thier toes and leave your " business" alone.
He wanted help guarding an M.J. grow later.
I didn't really want to be involved there with firearms , drug and leaking trespassers combined. Might not look good on my resume.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back