THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Well I hope everyone has a great Friday.
Time to get the lift back on the road to clear up some trimming.
Yesterday was a slow process, ugly pine tree on the water side of the house.
Had to get it from the road, no way it was going to reach a 75ft tree being being 15ft lower than the stump.
So it was useful to have the 12ft pruning saw.
Still left the crown, so I roped it, 120ft away I pulled it with the truck.
Fell it into the ravine.
The ravine clean up will be after Labor day.
9 saw logs are laying there now.
See, if I wrote fell into the ravine it wouldn't have been the tree.

Sure tall fighting for sunlight there.
Have it here too. Some old ones. Well not that old but following logging era or just succession of types.
The scrub oaks came up crowded and never managed. Giant stalks now and blocking the sun from the forest floor under thier umbrella canopy. Outside of the odd acorn year (been awhile) there's little browse to be found except a small parcel logged two years ago. Or the neighbors landscaping.
Edge of woods around houses gets enough sun for saplings,,
Slash that burned had a flush of second growth and what was resting in the soils seed bank plus surviving roots second growth came up dense.

Then after a hundred years give or take holes cut for houses.

This little guy was busy, didn't waste any time dipping nectar and moving.
Known as a Hummingbird Moth, or a Bumblebee Moth.
View attachment 2097440
I took pictures of one while in Kentucky. I got home and put the sd card in my laptop and the whole card was erased. I’m glad you got one!!!!!

I had such a great day with my son yesterday. This is a special time of the year here in the islands. Sunday will be the first day of lobster 🦞 season, and my son loves catching them while snorkeling. Yesterday we went and had lunch at one of my spots. After lunch we got in and snorkeld for an hour or 2. We found a silver earring, a gold plated charm, and a necklace with crucifix. It was so cool to look over under water, and see my son bobbing along next to me !! Today we go to work on the yachts !! It’s always an amazing day for him on these big yachts, and he loves going to work with me just to be around the big yachts. I usally set him up with fishing rod and bait so he can fish while I go through my weekly maintenance on the yachts ! Today we will try to catch a 100pound plus tarpon !! It’s been on his bucket fish list for a couple years now, and im not sure if he has the strength for it yet....we will see today!!
That so awesome, Bart! I know your job keeps you away from your family at times. It’s a blessing that you are able to spend some quality time with him.

IMG_3938.jpeg

via Smithsonian

In 1841, Dr. William W. Wolf moved to Dayton to practice homeopathy, a branch of alternative medicine that believes in the healing power of food. Hailed Dayton’s “Cracker King,” Wolf concocted the Wolf Cracker, a curious hard-butter snack made for medicinal purposes.
“In the 19th century, crackers were linked to Christian physiology and sectarian medical practitioners,” says Lisa Haushofer, a senior research associate at the University of Zurich’s Institute for Biomedical Ethics and History of Medicine. “Christian physiologists like Sylvester Graham, of Graham Cracker fame, were concerned about a modern diet that contained too many stimulating substances.” (In addition to being a cracker evangelist, Graham was also a pro-temperance Presbyterian minister who preached a vegetarian diet). Wolf echoed Graham’s concerns that food was far too rousing (though Graham also dubiously believed his crackers could cure licentiousness), so he launched the Wolf Cracker Bakery to churn out his wholesome snacks.
1691157668107.jpeg

I you hadn't any gold you'd still be rich Bart.

Careful , Time flies!
I'm really trying to relish every moment and spend as much time together as possible.....no fishing today, but we had a great time puttering around on the boats !! Tomorrow snorkeling, and then the big lobster hunt on Sunday!! Wooo hoooo !!

No, Sir. I have switched gears and am using a pitch fork and shovel more than the Max. It’s still on my “To-Do” list.
No hurries. But, I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much easier it is to swing. At your leisure, but of cawrse!

Well this is the most interesting key I've found metal detecting. Note I never find cool skeleton keys and such that'd easily top this very modern one. But eh it's at least sort of interesting.

Attachments

• 20230804_141339.jpg
    20230804_141339.jpg
    998.5 KB · Views: 18

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back