THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Well you certainly have been busy WD on the road trip.
Congrats on the point pieces that you found.
My goodness your picture of the can of points is a real drooler for sure. (you lucky gal to be gifted that)
There's some really nice looking points, drills, and I have to point out the one in the upper right hand corner second one over.
Either it has been broken, a throw away, or some young Buck just learning knapping.
(kind of has that ugly cool factor going on with it)
Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 7.21.22 AM.png

My goodness your picture of the can of points is a real drooler for sure. (you lucky gal to be gifted that)
There's some really nice looking points, drills, and I have to point out the one in the upper right hand corner second one over.
Either it has been broken, a throw away, or some young Buck just learning knapping.
View attachment 2097292
Lot's of field grade stuff there.

View attachment 2097292
There's some heartbreakers in there, Doves,Thebes, Kirks, Lost Lakes and I believe a Quad in the upper right which is Killer looking. You done good!!!!!!

There's some heartbreakers in there, Doves,Thebes, Kirks, Lost Lakes and I believe a Quad in the upper right which is Killer looking. You done good!!!!!!
I wish I did..:laughing7:
These belong to @WannaDig3687
Now she did really well in getting these gifted to her. :headbang:

I wish I had the knowledge and ability to see the different types so easily as you and Newman.
I tip my hat to you both and the knowledge that you share.

I wish I did..:laughing7:
These belong to @WannaDig3687
Now she did really well in getting these gifted to her. :headbang:
Thank you pepper!! I know they were WD's but it was easier replying to the pic you posted than hers, I'm not techy enuff to single out pics like you did lol.

Exceptional tune choice!

Multiple pieces I'm not seeing pitch or stain from being hafted for small blades. Strong hands and fingers don't need such though. Plus who knows what since they were used.

P.J. mentions some repurpose in a piece. Others exist to. One with quite a bulb shape to it.
Someone or more knew the qualities of the material were worth it. Vs what was commonly on hand? Or even perhaps it was no time to be trying to gather or acquire better material?

I busted a bunch of flint. (Too much or too little might be debatable,) but it wasn't an easy to acquire material. And I got ahold of some material others didn't want. Usually for good reason.
Clinging to the edge of the rabbit hole as I pulled myself up and almost before extracting myself , Dad said thier was indication some natives put stone they wanted to work further under thier fires. Hmmm.
For fire starting I had a piece of heat treated with no details. It differed from my main busted up residue pile I had so it wouldn't have mattered all the details.

But, suffice it to say that just created questions.
A here is where poorer quality material comes in.
Chert can be worked. And made more workable.
Is it worth it ? Depends on your skill with it and what options you have. And what you have that's already worked and useable.

A stash/cache of decent material wouldn't hurt to have somewhere. Even used worn stuff?
And busted stuff and damaged stuff around a fire area can be no surprise.
But sharp stuff could be kept away from foot and child traffic to in disposing of it.
An old hearth indicated by charcoal stain eroding from the river bank might get a close look from me. Just because.
Other hearths have provided (wait for it) , questions.
Different types/styles of work together. Not different levels and era accumulated over time.
4-5 arrow heads or bigger in the hearth. No mention by the school(s) studying the groundworks
that they were under the hearth(being treated).
And seperate two sites I knew the ends of and would take a couple steady days to cover.
(Sorry for the length but this has stuck with me along time and I do repeat it).

30 miles of rapids used to tail out/end at the Northern end.
Two rivers came together on the Southern end.
Mounds on North end. (One such the subject. No burials of humans. Seeing the spring flooding run off , I'd appreciate such mounds too. But that may not factor in the whys of thier existing.)

South end had a post type wall one side. Shallow trench along one side of it possibly to raise earth along posts.
Debris in trench.
Similar if not correct match to those 4-5 different type lithics together.

I had documents from N.E. U.S. and in acquiring them had others that were sources I'm referring to locally.
(Gone now , have a nice divorce...You really going to drag all that to where???)

A political agreement?
A trade agreement?
An allies in war agreement?
A share the terrain agreement?
A feast once in a while agreement?

Danged books didn't say.
Neither have the rivers when I've been around.

So anyway.
Why is some of your material on your pieces more shiny than others???

[ You may wonder what makes the surface of a stone flake glossy, as opposed to dull and non-reflective. Glossiness is an indication of smoothness of the stone surface at the microscopic level. Super-smooth surfaces reflect light uniformly (like a mirror or polished stone). A dull surface on a flake scar indicates surface roughness; this uneven surface scatters light randomly and prevents a glossy reflection. Heat treatment allows a flake to pass through, not around, the microscopic quartz crystals in the stone. The result is a flake surface with a glossy or satin finish. Obsidian has a natural gloss on flake scars because it has no tiny crystals of quartz or other minerals to scatter incoming light.]

Exceptional tune choice!

Multiple pieces I'm not seeing pitch or stain from being hafted for small blades. Strong hands and fingers don't need such though. Plus who knows what since they were used.

P.J. mentions some repurpose in a piece. Others exist to. One with quite a bulb shape to it.
Someone or more knew the qualities of the material were worth it. Vs what was commonly on hand? Or even perhaps it was no time to be trying to gather or acquire better material?

I busted a bunch of flint. (Too much or too little might be debatable,) but it wasn't an easy to acquire material. And I got ahold of some material others didn't want. Usually for good reason.
Clinging to the edge of the rabbit hole as I pulled myself up and almost before extracting myself , Dad said thier was indication some natives put stone they wanted to work further under thier fires. Hmmm.
For fire starting I had a piece of heat treated with no details. It differed from my main busted up residue pile I had so it wouldn't have mattered all the details.

But, suffice it to say that just created questions.
A here is where poorer quality material comes in.
Chert can be worked. And made more workable.
Is it worth it ? Depends on your skill with it and what options you have. And what you have that's already worked and useable.

A stash/cache of decent material wouldn't hurt to have somewhere. Even used worn stuff?
And busted stuff and damaged stuff around a fire area can be no surprise.
But sharp stuff could be kept away from foot and child traffic to in disposing of it.
An old hearth indicated by charcoal stain eroding from the river bank might get a close look from me. Just because.
Other hearths have provided (wait for it) , questions.
Different types/styles of work together. Not different levels and era accumulated over time.
4-5 arrow heads or bigger in the hearth. No mention by the school(s) studying the groundworks
that they were under the hearth(being treated).
And seperate two sites I knew the ends of and would take a couple steady days to cover.
(Sorry for the length but this has stuck with me along time and I do repeat it).

30 miles of rapids used to tail out/end at the Northern end.
Two rivers came together on the Southern end.
Mounds on North end. (One such the subject. No burials of humans. Seeing the spring flooding run off , I'd appreciate such mounds too. But that may not factor in the whys of thier existing.)

South end had a post type wall one side. Shallow trench along one side of it possibly to raise earth along posts.
Debris in trench.
Similar if not correct match to those 4-5 different type lithics together.

I had documents from N.E. U.S. and in acquiring them had others that were sources I'm referring to locally.
(Gone now , have a nice divorce...You really going to drag all that to where???)

A political agreement?
A trade agreement?
An allies in war agreement?
A share the terrain agreement?
A feast once in a while agreement?

Danged books didn't say.
Neither have the rivers when I've been around.

So anyway.
Why is some of your material on your pieces more shiny than others???

[ You may wonder what makes the surface of a stone flake glossy, as opposed to dull and non-reflective. Glossiness is an indication of smoothness of the stone surface at the microscopic level. Super-smooth surfaces reflect light uniformly (like a mirror or polished stone). A dull surface on a flake scar indicates surface roughness; this uneven surface scatters light randomly and prevents a glossy reflection. Heat treatment allows a flake to pass through, not around, the microscopic quartz crystals in the stone. The result is a flake surface with a glossy or satin finish. Obsidian has a natural gloss on flake scars because it has no tiny crystals of quartz or other minerals to scatter incoming light.]

You'd go nuts I have backpacks full of black obsidian. To small to huge rocks of them. Got lucky one year went up to Tioga pass and it was snowed in so walked around and a tractor was clearing path. Walked behind it and it brought up tons of obsidian to collect. Lol I was bored and never seen the stuff before so got excitable and collected a ton

Thank you all for your comments on the artifacts! This is an area that I get a massive headache trying to figure out. It’s going to be a learning experience for sure. I was also given a binder of trading cards that will help. Maybe someone is familiar with this?

IMG_3930.jpeg

Now that I have a few minutes, I’ll tell you more. I was weeding my stepmother-in-law‘s flower garden. It actually was my father-in-law‘s passion. He used some small river rock instead of mulch. This is where I found the fossil and the three broken points. I don’t know what river this rock came from but I suspect that’s where those came from. Still pretty neat to find them. Hubby says that the tin of points has been picked over greatly. He said his aunt had a massive collection and this was what people didn’t want and that is how my father-in-law ended up with them. She gave them to her brother. As pointed out by peps, there’s a couple in there that are thick, gnarly like somebody was either learning how to knap or maybe they were handheld. I’m not sure . I don’t know enough about these things. There’s a couple in there that are teeny teeny tiny and there’s also a couple effigies in there. This one I can match to one of the trading cards. A core.

IMG_3932.jpeg

IMG_3933.jpeg

This one seems to be a handheld tool. It fits nicely. Maybe for gardening?

IMG_3935.jpeg

As with most anything I get, there is a “BUT.” Here it is: a lot of these were previously mounted on something with a black glue. So they only have one good view. 😕😢

View attachment 2097366
IMG_3934.jpeg

I will come up with something for a display. Again, thanks for the comments and I am glad you like them. I suspect though, if there should come to be a divorce, I would have to let them go to the closer blood relative. 🤬

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back