THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

It's been areal eye opener to see gold items after only 2 days. When I hit the spot on Friday I left it clean.....2 days later....5 earrings and a ring. This is where careful observation allows me to calculate how many days to let my spots soak !! Most casual hunters will hit the spots once a month....more serious guys will go once a week. Im trying to go every 3 days in the summer. This method is my way of sabotage for the other hunters. The theory is to keep my spots cleaned up, so when these less dedicated hunters go out, they find very little because I keep it clean. This discourages them from going more often, or they move on to other spots. If I get in a war with another hunter.....I will leave all pop tops in situ !! What I've learned.....and its now 100% confirmed for me, is that more jewelry is lost on a weekly basis than anyone ever dreamed. I know this to be true, after a 4 year experiment on frequency of hunting the spots, and documenting just how much is found at each spot, and how much time has elapsed between hunts. It is not uncommon to find 2-5 pieces of jewelry at each spot after only 3 days of letting the spot soak.....when I say soak, I mean leaving the spot unhunted for 3 days at a time before trying it again. This frequency increases to its peak which is right now.....this time before school opens after summer break !! I've broken the will of several hunters with this method, and as is always the case, I'm now solo at several great spots.....the others have left it to me because I'm first one there, and last one to leave !! I love charging up to other hunters when I see them and saying....what have you found....look I got 5 gold rings !! 💍 I watch them deflate, and pack there machines and leave !!🤣😂😅🤣
Bloody pirate. Lol

Sharks are not a big problem in the midwest.
Sturgeon our biggest fish and they don't wreck swimmers , dunkers , or the odd surfer.

We have fish though. Even predatory. And the highly predatory are a good study.
What triggers a strike? Ahhhh. Multiple things can. And individual activity level matters.
Why just a bump this time and an inhalation next time? Why a rejection, spit out after mouthing?
How far away in murky water can a 16 inch bass detect a struggling 4 inch minnow by it's lateral line sense alone?
And the catfish I used to have in a tank and feed minnows at times.

Sight? Maybe. But not required.
Sound? Well sort of. Convert it to vibration to fit it in with movement location.
Smell? Of course.
Taste? Yes , well how else do you get clues to palatability and digestibility?
As a fish you can spit it out. But if you don't mouth something now and then you won't eat.

Human in the water is subject to inspection as much or more as anything else.
One fish will steer clear , another investigate closely.
A human can stimulate a strike response sometimes by racing a lure past a fish. More a reflex than a deliberated strike. Extended murky water period and how else you gonna eat?
But in clear water and limited prey , every activity is potential.
When it is time to feed (food will fit) then only opportunity awaits.
Is that sensory stimulation food or not? It's creating vibrations like prey can ...

All to say I can grasp humans being to sharks what frogs are to bass. Or seals ,or mice.
And while tactics and individuals vary , I don't expect sharks to race in to a beach and attack swimmers. Could they? Certainly.
But if they're being sharks they'll cruise and detect stimulation intensities in the process.
To close and too much stimulation is going to result in a sampling/mouthing or more.

Ariel shots of sharks with swimmers can (I don't view many) show a similar behavior my catfish used too.
They know when something alive and creating vibrations is in thier environment. And where to look to make contact. Look meaning "feel" . And when a minnow was bumped by feel about 98% of the time it was also engulphed. To be spit out if backwards and fins opening instead of closing and re-grabbed . Usually.

Add enough sharks to the equation or crowd them on a limited or concentrated or opportunistic food source and the competition will trigger a more frenetic feeding reaction.
This dear reader is survival. Something sharks have evolved to do very well by eating. And by eating in some interesting ways ranging from straining small delicate prey to tearing out chunks of what can be bitten hold of. We'll define prey better and be more specific , picky, and tidy...Next time. Today , we eat again.
Given the choice of not grabbing potential prey to stay alive and grabbing a struggling something that smells alive ...Don't blame the shark for trying.
It is only doing what a fish does to survive. And there's really only one way to prove if something is worth grabbing.
The stinking little blue gills think moles and skin tags are bits of fish chocolate!

Hey!
Remember us when you're worth billions...

We have a mini lobster season in the Midwest too!
O.K. , so they're called crayfish here. Or crawfish a bit farther South. And are a wee bit smaller. And maybe not really lobsters.

They do make the house smell like a crab-shack though!
And a tiny bit further south?
Craw-dads. :angel12:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back