THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Watched a doe and her buck fawn browsing the last hour of daylight.

After dark I didn't want to get them too fired up, but after a while it appeared they were staying..
A dog howled in the distance. So I howled too.
If a reader has not seen it , they are called whitetails for good reason.
The doe flared all her white hair on her tail and rear hams. It's almost a halo effect. A brilliant white in the dark.
Then with a wagging walk into the darker region of an alder cut , headed back the way they had come in.
Not spooked , blowing/snorting,bouncing,running ect.. But bumped for sure.
She was certainly signaling the fawn it was time to get out of here, now!

That distracting white may have an effect on predators focus too.
I've read a bounding slow deer is deliberate sign of health and fitness. Not a challenge , but a don't waste your time/ I'm the gingerbread man thing.
Despite their weak long distance sprint-ability. (Small heart lung for full out nonstop running.
They can trot though...)
Evade , after putting some distance between themselves and what bothered them seems what they have evolved to..
So, they like the dense cover available where I hunt. In theory. L.o.l..
Multiple bouncing deer present multiple distractions. Maybe?

As ever , I'm grateful for the opportunity.

Howdy, AARC, WD and Jim

Well I put the Deus on the charger late yesterday in the plan/option of maybe sneaking off today for a hunt.
Not sure where as the disced fields are really sticky, and with the full day of rain yesterday they'll be boot sticky walk.

So there is an option of hay, pasture, hay/bush. The last being is another permission turned me on to another which gave me the go ahead, for his land.

I asked the nice land owner if he knew of any history of the property?
Reply: "Matter of fact-I've never been on the property-just bought for the family"
OK:dontknow::icon_scratch::laughing7: That works for me-I guess.

So I'll have to knock on the door of the first permission, and ask the Mrs again where she and her Mother/Grandmother used to walk and see the cut stone foundation.
The property isn't too big but still 40+ acres with multitude little island tree groves can burn up hrs.
There's nothing on the maps so it's a hide and go seek type of detecting.
I did a quick field hunt earlier in the season and besides the usual farm implements and field fins there was no indication of a homestead/cellar hole.
So if the nice lady can direct me to one of the 4 sides or middle it's game on-and with the black powder/bow still in I'll put the red toque target on the melon.

I'm needing a tad bit of mental therapy-weather reports are saying -10C for lows, with a saturated soils-ice cube dirt is on the very near horizon.

Good morning ARC, WD, Rook and Jim. :wave:

Best of luck on finding a homesite on your permission today Jim.

Not sure if I'll even head out tomorrow, but I'll wait and see how the weather looks in the AM. :icon_scratch:

Morning rook, morning dave,morning ARC, ....morning WD, morning pepper....

Morning Dave, Bart, Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back