THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

So first mission in the boat is slated for samana cay, then myaguana, then over to see sads669 on long Island. Should be able to get ambergris from samana. Its way out there with no one on it. Havnt been in ten years. Woooo hoooo!! Will have a full array of sensors and detectors too !!

Good morning Bart. :wave:

What a beautiful looking boat, I love the look of all that woodwork on the stern. :thumbsup:

Anti... I was considered one of the best at refinishing wood on boats like that at one time. :)

Had em fighting for me to do work... they would bribe me with everything from yacht club memberships and free meals... and of course ... money :)

I liked first mate better. :P

55 foot viking sportfish....twin MTU diesels rated at 1950hp each.

Serious power that's for sure.
Had a little 42" Trawler twin 120hp Lehmans, it would just putter along all day.............:laughing7:

I get to do both ARC....im the wood guy that fishes.

Serious power that's for sure.
Had a little 42" Trawler twin 120hp Lehmans, it would just putter along all day.............:laughing7:

The ultimate island machine....sips very little fuel and is comfortable. I could hunt ambergris in the bahamas for months with that rig !!

Good morning bill !

Morning bart

Nice boat

Anti... I was considered one of the best at refinishing wood on boats like that at one time. :)

Had em fighting for me to do work... they would bribe me with everything from yacht club memberships and free meals... and of course ... money :)

I love wood-but a boat with teak everything turned into a labour of love. No wonder many left the wood go grey.
I had 500-600 hrs into the finishes of the trawler which turned into 8 coats of Sikkens (Cetol) Each hand rubbed between coats. The rub/hand rails were a thing of beauty when it was completed-never again-nope-nadda-not going down that rabbit hole again.

The ultimate island machine....sips very little fuel and is comfortable. I could hunt ambergris in the bahamas for months with that rig !!

I guess one could say built for comfort-not for speed when on a budget under $250.

Was going for a 62' Real Ship that was docked in Jupiter Fl.
Had the survey's done-sea trails that alone was a $10K bill.
The biggest problem was there wasn't a lift out big enough on this side of lake Ontario for the annual haul outs.
It was too much to do a seasonal transit back and forth to Fl. every yr. Then in the end we marked it up as "What were we thinking!"
Now looking back-we're so glad sensibility kicked us in the seat of the pants.

Well pepper....there is absolutely nothing sensible about the boats i work on. I use a pitch fork to shovel dollar bills into the furnace to light the boilers !! :laughing7::laughing7:

Good morning Bill. :hello:

I completely agree ARC, woodworking is a true art form. :notworthy:
Back in the 80s and 90s when I was buying antiques and 'picking' for dealers here in Ontario, I had a good working relationship with an antique dealer in Stouffville, ON.
He had learned woodworking from his father, who was also an experienced woodworker.

I used to bring all of my harvest tables, dressers and stagecoach trunks to him for restoration.
He retired from the business in 2005 and I've yet to find anyone since who could replicate his workmanship. :sadsmiley:

I still have the c1870 - 80 butternut flat-to-the-wall and buffet that he refinished for me, truly amazing work. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 20201204_074437.jpg
    20201204_074437.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 28
  • 20201204_074246.jpg
    20201204_074246.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back