Do You Remember.?

Re: Do You Remember..........?

You can still get Frostie Root Beer in my area. I have not seen it around for at least 20 years. But I bought some at a gas station last week.

warsawdaddy said:
GunFarce--we had 'Cho-Cho's'.They came in a paper tube and had a stick in one end.You had to roll them back/forth in your palms then you could remove the paper.Just one flavor,light malted choc.

The Mello rolls may have been someting like that, only no stick & We had vanilla, and chocolate..

This has been so much fun I had to join in. Thanks everyone for that walk back there. What changes there have been it's amazing but is probably nothing compared to what the present and coming generations will see.

no particular order or convention just recollections

slot cars
home made rootbeer
wonderbar radios
schmoos
walking down to get another stack from the bookmobile reading them by flashlight
a 6 transistor radio with real leather case
Herters catalog
bears in yellowstone park
wilderness jims trail book
watching echo going overhead
woolworths counter on a saturday for a club sammich
yo yo contests at the saturday matinee and stage fright
toys that had japanese stuff printed on the insides
the corner drug store
semi automatic transmissions
crystal radios
saving up for a tube of bbs
sending for all the free stuff from the ads in the back pages
getting a dozen nightcrawlers in a tin can for 12 cents
it's howdy doody time and clarabell
mr wizzard
sky king and penny
ironport
the lowell thomas show
ali baba was the middle east
2 or 3 dollars bought enough gas for friday night
you will wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with pepsodent
code 10 kookie burns
an umbrella for a parachute
saving the popcicle circles and winning a zebco fishing set
having those thick black records in the house and listening to the song of the volga boatmen the flip side was the anvil chorus
repeater rubber band guns
getting a mickey mantle and a roger maris in gum packs
hitchicking all over the place
parents contemplating a bomb shelter in the yard
penny candy in jars on the counter
my sister walked to the store and back alone
hating that cursed steam tent gaaa
deciding not to buck hay all summer for a dollar a day plus room and board
taking tubes from the tv to the grocery store testing machine
steelies were outlawed in the circle but taws weren't
table radios
getting a shiney green and white 59 impala for 175
being threatened with cod liver oil
making a downhill racer from an old baby buggy
the taste of soap
singing ....as the caissons go rolling along in school
big chief tablets and big pencils
watching 8 mm family movies made on kodachrome
party line snoopy neighbor listening in after our ring
being called skeeziks
mountains of war surplus so cheep
making a barbell from old pipe coffee cans and concrete
cold tires with flat spots
going for a ride getting tires and oil checked and windshield washed free while the little spinner on top of the pump went around in the glass dome
just signing for a charge when cash was short
snowblind men with red faces coming back after looking for someone
what happened when someone used a hack saw to cut into a left behind high explosive

An older friend told me that he worked in a grocery store and when a customer used a twenty to pay they had to have someone run to the bank to change the bill and run back

Thank you NHBenz !

Now you have brought one back for me too even after that windbag list of mine. Our music teacher would drive from the closest town of any size. We didn't have a full time teacher for that. He always came a little tipsy with something on his breath. He really got it from the class clowns.

I forgot making "tractors" from a sewing thread spool, a rubber band, a small piece of soap and a wood matchstick. They worked better with teeth cut out of the edges.

And Old Whiskey Joe sold me traps for a quarter for small and fifty cents each for bigger ones. I discovered when I got them home they all had different initials on them. He had two outhouses one Halloween we goofed and tipped the one that was full of beer cans then he came running out of his place drunk mad and shooting his 30-30.

Does anyone remember "Mouthful" bubble gum? (In flat big bricks)
What about "Wacky packs? (Stickers and cards with funny names for products)
Charlie's Angel's cards?
Metal lunchboxes?
The spooky or Godzilla shows "Creature Feature?"
When Saturday morning had real, not computer generated, cartoons?
1 cent for your milk at school? 2 cents chocolate?
Kids in school acting like Moe, Larry & Curly?
Having pocketknives and .22 shells in your pocket at school?

Remember Tennessee Tuxedo?? He was a cartoon penguin. He went to see a scientist of some kind all the time looking for ways to make a fast buck. His name was Mr. Whoopie. They were teaching you something without you knowing it.

DM

Who remembers this song and can fill it in?

Oh,the bicuits in the army
I hear are mighty fine
One rolled off the table and killed a pal of mine

I don't want no more of army life
Gee mom,I wanna go
But they won't let me go
I don't want no more army life
Gee mom,I wanna go home

Oh,the chicken in the army
I hear is mighty fine
One jumped off the table
And started marching time

I don't want.............

Digginman said:
Remember Tennessee Tuxedo?? He was a cartoon penguin. He went to see a scientist of some kind all the time looking for ways to make a fast buck. His name was Mr. Whoopie. They were teaching you something without you knowing it.

DM

and his sidekick Chumley. I think he was a walrus or something!

HH 8) surfrat

warsawdaddy said:
Who remembers this song and can fill it in?

Oh,the bicuits in the army
I hear are mighty fine
One rolled off the table and killed a pal of mine

Hey, Warsaw—

There are a countless versions of that old Army song, but the usual refrain is, "Gee, Ma, I wanna go home." (Some versions use "Mom" rather than "Ma.") Google it and you should get plenty of hits.

Complaints From 1955

"I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $20."

~~~~

"Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $2000 will only buy a used one."

~~~~

"If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. A quarter a pack is ridiculous."

~~~~

"Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to mail a letter?"

~~~~

"If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store."

~~~~

"When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage."

~~~~

"Kids today are impossible. Those duck tail hair cuts make it impossible to stay groomed. Next thing you know, boys will be wearing their hair as long as the girls." ~~~~ "I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying 'damn' in 'Gone With The Wind,' it seems every new movie has either "hell" or "damn" in it.

~~~~

"I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas ."

~~~~

"Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the president."

~~~~

"I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now."

~~~~

"It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet."

~~~~

"It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work."

~~~~

"Marriage doesn't mean a thing any more; those Hollywood stars seem to be getting divorced at the drop of a hat."

~~~~

"I'm just afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business."

~~~~

"Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best peop le to congress."

~~~~

"The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on."

~~~~

"There is no sense going to Lincoln or Omaha anymore for a weekend. It costs nearly $15 a night to stay in a hotel."

~~~~

"No one can afford to be sick any more; $35 a day in the hospital is too rich for my blood."

~~~~

"If they think I'll pay 50 cents for a hair cut, forget it."

Cool Clipping

PHILADELPHIA RECORD
SUNDAY MORNING , OCTOBER 14, 1923

Attachments

• zzzz.jpg
    zzzz.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 229

Clipping Not for the WEAK HEARTED.

Clipping appears to be from San Diego

Attachments

• zzzzzz.jpg
    zzzzzz.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 224

Papa, no I haven't, as Pepsi is not not part of a healthy diet. However, I've been intrigued that when I put a honey roasted peanut in my beer it will float then sink then float then sink then float then sink then float then sink then float then sink then float then sink... I've gotta go, my beer is getting flat. Jeff, I'll take that Indian if its still available.

"If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. A quarter a pack is ridiculous."

I remember when I was about 10 that my dad was complaining that a CARTON of cigarettes had just went up to $2.00. Thank goodness I never started smoking. I was just at the grocery store the other day and they were going for $38.00 a carton.......

Anyone remember gold brick candy bar?probably in the 60's about 2 inches long 1/2 tall sold for a nickel.They

were the brst little candy bars i ever ate.But then there was the seven up bar,different section to it.I mean

a nut,jelly in one place carmel,coconutand don't recall the rest of it.They were also good.How about Howdy

Doody sticker on end of bread bags you could collect.Tinker toys,Lone Ranger on the radio.Fibber Magee

and Molly on radio.45 records,Evil Knieval dolls,,have two my kids yet.Jamie Summers Doll. Jacks and Pickup

sticks.Marbles while waiting for the bus to come the boys played.Oh i guess that might make me old!! Oh well

good to remember.

I remember when there weren't any 'antique' stores,only second-hand shops that carried everything.Every neighborhood had it's corner grocery,one about every 4 -5 blocks.The smell of the lunch counter in the 'dime store'.I remember when Kansas City only had one Sears and one Monkey(Montgomery) Wards.They were both 4 - 5 stories and everything was bulk in the hardware and sporting goods.You could spend almost all day in one of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back