Do You Remember.?

Re: Do You Remember..........?

What great memories are mentioned in this thread. I just saw on the news that Sally Star turned 85 yesterday she is still broadcasting on one of the Philly radio stations. Remember Chief Halftown.
All the good TV shows. Remember "You Bet Your Life" with Grocho Marx, say the secret word and the bird would drop down.
Those who remember riding down the hill on the sled with the metal blades. Did you get all your friends and make the train by hooking your feet into the front of the guy's sled behind you. My next question would be were you the engineer who could not steer straight just to cause a wreck or did you want to be the caboose to get the best whiplash. All those crashes and never more than a few scratches.

Thanks for the memories
Joe

one other item not mentioned yet. how many guys out there had to have a set of the X-ray Glasses?
Joe

Rocky & Bullwinkle
Mr. Peabody and his pet boy Sherman and the Wayback machine.
Fractured Fairytales

Hey watch me pull a rabbit outa my hat.

Someone sent me this E-mail titled Older 'n Dirt!!

'Hey Dad,' one of my kids asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him. 'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained. 'Grandma cooked every day and when Grandpa got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears AND Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11, but my grandparents had one before that. It was, of course, black and white, but they bought a piece of colored plastic to cover the screen. The top third was blue, like the sky, and the bottom third was green, like grass. The middle third was red. It w as perfect for programs that had scenes of fire trucks riding across someone's lawn on a sunny day. Some people had a lens taped to the front of the TV to make the picture look larger.

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie.' When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 15. Before that, the only car in our family was my grandfather's Ford. He called it a 'machine.'

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers. I delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which I got to keep 2 cents. I had to get up at 4 AM every morning. On Saturday, I had to collect the 42 cents from my customers. My favorite customers were the ones who gave me 50 cents and told me to keep the change. My least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. Touching someone else's tongue with yours was called French kissing and they didn't do that in movies. I don't know what they did in French movies. French movies were dirty and we weren't allowed to see them

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head light dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
Real ice boxes.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about.
Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6 Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8 Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H Green Stamps
16 Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flash bulbs
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are the best part of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your really OLD friends.

'Senility Prayer'...God grant me...
The senility to forget the people I never liked
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
And the eyesight to tell the difference.'
Have a great week!!!!!!

rtde3 said:
Thanks bigcypresshunter! I enjoyed that! ;)

Same here!

Older than dirt?

Heck, I can remember when the dirt was still rock. :P

rtde3 said:
And when we went to the doctor he lived in our neighborhood and his office was in the basement of his house!
Our neighborhood Dentist drilled and filled my teeth out of his garage. I still remember the pain! :o We were not allowed to cry or complain. I still have those metal fillings to this day.

With the gas prices like they are, anyone out there remember gas wars.I can remember in the early

sixtys when one station would have gas for 18 cents a gallon look across the street and they would

have gas for 17 cents.My brother would get 50 cents worth and go for quite awhile.You also could

buy a slab of bacon for $1.50 . About two foot long and at least a foot wide.Can milk 8 to 10 cents

a can.You could buy a nice chuck roast for 29 to 39 cents a lb.Bottle of soda for 6 cents.Do you

remember?Times were hard than too but not as stressfull in my opinon. :)

Cigaretts Lucky Stricke (green pack)Camels ,Chesterfield, Avalon, Domino, Home run, Spuds, Fleetwood, Philip Morris, Wings 10 cents pack tobacco 5 cents
Coca cola 5cents 6oz, pepsi, RC, Red Rock, Orange Crush, Grape all 5 cents
Loaf of bread 5 cents box of crackers 5 cents
Candy bars 5 cents big ones BB bats 1 cent Bubble gum 1 cent 6inch dia peanut brittle 5 cents.
Gasoline 7 cents Kerosene 5cents Oil10 cents qt
wire a house 50 dollars up
milk 10 cents quart 5 cents pint
2 br house 1/2 acre lot 4-700 dollars frame brick double
New ford coupe 375
Side of bacon 8 cents a pound, smoked 10 cents eggs 12cents doz
Un improved land 1-10 dollars acre
water melons 5-10-15 cents
Pocket knife bottom price 15 cents
Wages 15 to 20 cents an hour labor, skilled 14 dollars a week.
Train engineer 30 to 50 dollars a week one of the highest paid jobs in the country.
Depression, I invented that about the same way Al Gore come up with the internet idea. Gnewt

Ya, a lot a lot of memories, still remember those when father and brothers used to be together...
missed them a lot...thanks a lot for sharing...really enjoyed it...

How about
Looney Tunes Candy Neclaces Saturday Night Wrestling
Popeye Foghorn Leghorn blowgum
Ma and Pa Kettle RC and Moonpie black Jack chewing gum
Laredo Hula Hoops Bell Bottom Jeans
Underdog wind up toy dozers Go Go boots
Rawhide Marx brothers Zorro
High Chapparral The Honeymooners Palatin
Mighty Mouse Laugh In Whiffle Ball
Slow Poke suckers Hee Haw Fizzies
Mary Janes Saturday Coke Matinee( see a movie with a Coke Lid)

Just about ANYTIME before a 24 hour news cycle where everything is a crisis and more money is the only answer.

that and the lack of Old Style patches on any of the clothing in That 70's Show. Couldn't be realistic, especially if they are supposed to be from the land north of the cheddar curtain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back