THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Nice bottle pepperj

Good afternoon bill....good afternoon rook !!

So right now as I am typing, it is around 7:00pm. Around this time 157 years ago today, Colonel Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain of the 20th Maine made the fateful descision to make a bayonet charge down the slope of Little Round Top, to beat back the rebels trying to overtake their position. This act might have saved the Union fight at Gettysburg.

DSC_1083.jpg

.52 Cal. sharps carbine bullet, dropped by one of Berdans Sharpshooters, stationed with Co. B 20th Maine.

Ok while unpacking the little past life treasures I came across a find that I had gotten fixed up.
No markings.
20200702_190305.jpg
Any thoughts on style/age?
I was probably informed at a stage in life that too cells were lost.

Jim,

Can't really comment age wise but looks like it might be from a bar set for making fancy drinks.

So right now as I am typing, it is around 7:00pm. Around this time 157 years ago today, Colonel Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain of the 20th Maine made the fateful descision to make a bayonet charge down the slope of Little Round Top, to beat back the rebels trying to overtake their position. This act might have saved the Union fight at Gettysburg.

View attachment 1846278

.52 Cal. sharps carbine bullet, dropped by one of Berdans Sharpshooters, stationed with Co. B 20th Maine.

Dang Rusty. The contrast of subjects in your picture are fantastic.

I don't see bayonets being held forward on the charge. Or used once downhill and engaged with the Rebels.. Ah well....We'll call it a reenacted bayonet charge. A low ammo , counter attack in this case.

Last edited:
Dang releventchair
Those rebs were taking a nap when attacked.

Ok while unpacking the little past life treasures I came across a find that I had gotten fixed up.
No markings.
View attachment 1846280
Any thoughts on style/age?
I was probably informed at a stage in life that too cells were lost.
It was dug from a ghost town site, dated 1880-1895 Thrre was a hotel, plus finds that predated the site.

Plum Run, below the Round Tops and near Devils Den ran red with blood for a day or so.

A creek would still have trumped some of the fields...

9th Mass. vs 21st Miss. , 80 of Mass.'s 88 horses killed on Trostle's farm...
The 21st coming ...Through canister shot...But not for long before overrunning the guns...
Sickles taken out of action...Barksdale succumbed to injury(ies)...
Followed by a nightmare of a night for the fallen wounded left on the field(s)..

Battle of Gettysburg : The Trostle Farm and Plum Run

Sickles at the spot he was hit. ...(Picture around 1886 per caption. )
The ground still looks defiled....

101.jpg
Gens. Sickles, Carr & Graham. Taken near Trostle’s barn, Gettysburg Battlefield – on the spot where General Sickles lost his leg, July 2nd, 1863, ca 1886.
Credit: Library of Congress.

Good morning TGIF Day to you all.

Good Friday Morning Tnet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back