THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Rusty,

No I wouldn't you don't hunt urban green spaces. Shovels are ok in farm fields, woods and similar sites. The hand trowel is the way to go in urban green spaces though.

You'd be yelling at me, Bill, I have a big ol shovel for construction work. It's a pain to carry around,

maybe one day I'll get one of those Excalibur shovels.

I'm sure all the crew knows how to do a proper target retrieval in urban green spaces, however, if you come across some bonehead posting a picture of a shovel retrieval in a park, etc....

Here's an instructional video.

Appears that I’m getting up later and later. Not a good sign since I’m a morning person. My dog usually is my alarm clock.

MA,

Well we both generally get up about 6am courtesy of our 2 cats who want their morning chow. Also a good long walk helps if still permitted in your area just keep a safe distance. It helps to get the system going in the morning.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Simon1
Keep my distance ?

I don't have coodies..........that I am aware of :dontknow:

WannaDig3687 replied:

Just a flea circus.

==========

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh Sis, that might just cost you
:crybaby2::nono:

Ice cream?

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/everything-else/622622-gifs-pics-more-post6470787.html#post6470787

I just don't get it a member posted last night a video of him detecting in an urban sportsfield. Problem was he was using one of those half size shovels. I sent him a message stating a hand trowel was the way to go and he'd be getting negative feedback.

He defended himself stating it made neat holes blah blah blah. Sure enough it caused a major dust up with people reporting his post and others reporting comments made against him. I sent him a sarcastic note telling I had warned him what was going to happen and said thanks!...

In any event I deleted the entire thread and posted an announcement that shovels of any size should not be used in urban green spaces first an foremost due to public perception and the risks of getting reported and metal detecting being banned which has already happened in many locales. In closing I stated this was not open to discussion and locked the comments on the post.

Shhsh you can't fix dumb.....I feel better now...:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Wait til you see the damage I can do with a hand trowel! LOL! I may be taking videos. I am thinking people won't be able to metal detect as much with every place getting stay at home orders. A video of my detecting would be like taking you all on a virtual hunt and it would give you all something to laugh at. My detecting is done on my own property, so I hope to have plenty of time to detect. Although, MR WD plans on burning trees. I went out last night and got a couple things. I will post pics on the fireship.

I am glad you have a place to vent. I wonder where our Mods go to vent? ??? :laughing9:

I’m a little tardy saying good morning to individuals so good morning to all aboard. I be been waxing the crows nest floor.

Rusty,

No I wouldn't you don't hunt urban green spaces. Shovels are ok in farm fields, woods and similar sites. The hand trowel is the way to go in urban green spaces though.

I'll argue that , and lose due to the perception of a shovel ,and abuses.

I found manhole sized plugs tossed back off location of holes and not re secured. One had an old flattened can left under it. Kept me busy a while trying to mend.
And guessed who did it? After having a chat with the suspect the activity ceased.

Anyways I use a Lesche in parks but could do as well with my WW2 Army shovel by cutting a flap type plug.

What happens from making plugs vs flaps is Squirrels ,skunks and other critters get a whiff of fresh dirt and some investigate.
I want to detect ,not re-work/replace other folks plugs....

A real eye opener was watching the mowing in multiple parks.
A former town mayor (or it's version of a mayor) used to stop and visit me detecting ,one time he was driving a big mower they use.
After mowing there were plugs pulled from the mower decks vacuum.
At time there have been a lot of detectorists over a weeks time adding up to a lot of plugs...Those plugs not well secured get loose.

A large flap properly secured might hold better. I may be alone in flaps vs plugs ,and do cut plugs in rough areas ,but if people would use a shovel like a trowel it would not damage sods as much as poor plugs of any size.

Went past the village administration hall last year(?) and the turf across the road from it looked like some one mounted a shovel on a tractor and tore it up!
I was near mortified ,knowing there were lots of mixed iron signals in that spot.

If not for patient village workers , that park would be closed to detecting , I have no doubt.
Multiple times a worker has stopped to chat ,with some obviously stopping to see the how of what I'm doing more than a cheerful social visit...
The least cheerful one watched a while and then said (more than asked) that I take any trash dug out with me.
I showed him my trash..
They (well some of them) know how a plug can be cut and not result in the poor results they see on occasion.
I don't ask if they check everyone out but hope they kick someone in the hind end verbally if they are being crazy rather than ban everyone someday.
Not their job though if they want to avoid the issue...
It's on detectorist to police their own.

Yes we can say a shovel is a bad image on any but remote sites.
But even remote sites can be fragile.
And like one friend who looked bewildered when I insisted he patch up plug work out in the woods , we don't need to leave evidence of where we make a recovery.
Previous trapping experience has me blend a cut and area around it in after securing it until it can't be noticed. Usually.
It's worth the time.

Seafoam!
Yep. I run it.
Startron too now and then.
Last summer I was getting rec.fuel from one station for the tractors and adding seafoam.
It's more pricey fuel but with Seafoam it can set in a tank without losing it's spunk awhile.
In the small engines it helps slow the creeping crud the ethanol crap inspires.
But the valves and cylinder heads in the old tractors are where I think the best results of the Seafoam show.
Marvel mystery oil could probably do alright in that application.

Simon : You could siphon the fuel out of the Vette and use it elsewhere blended in with fresh fuel (a little poor fuel at a time to a tank) IF you have an engine that will tolerate poor quality fuel.

WD,

I was going to say they go to the bar....but now they're off limit. Maybe they do like me the man cave well it's actually the computer room upstairs...lol.

Wait til you see the damage I can do with a hand trowel! LOL! I may be taking videos. I am thinking people won't be able to metal detect as much with every place getting stay at home orders. A video of my detecting would be like taking you all on a virtual hunt and it would give you all something to laugh at. My detecting is done on my own property, so I hope to have plenty of time to detect. Although, MR WD plans on burning trees. I went out last night and got a couple things. I will post pics on the fireship.

I am glad you have a place to vent. I wonder where our Mods go to vent? ??? :laughing9:

Well, Bill, I have been searching for a meme I saw that would go along with yours. I couldn't find it. I found a bunch of other ones. Anyway, it says something to the effect that in the future grandparents will be telling the grandkids about this pandemic and, due to the TP shortage, how we had to wipe up our buts all the way uphill and all the way down hill.

RC, every time I dig a plug, I be sure to step on it real hard with the back of my heel. Even in farmfields, sloppy plugs drive me nuts.

Mike O'Donnel gave me advice on how to clean the button in my avatar. Now if only I could find Robert McDaniels to do it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back