THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

02.jpg

Coinage?
In a coinage container.( You're welcome!)

Were coins in use daily? Weekly? Monthly? Bi-annually?

Mad money in a dish or container in the kitchen or in or near a hearth.
Were there domestic workers? Expect no secrets among them regarding property including coins of the manor for household purpose.

An owners cache though...
part of my outbuilding placement can remind of more isolated areas where a second structure however humble is a shelter if needed.
Fires were a very real threat back when as well. And one often meant a pile of burnt rubble after. Thus a coin or handful of them placed right in/around a hearth can survive a fire and be recovered intact.
But really the fire resistance of a proper hearth is the concept to me that makes outside corners outside a home or structure appeal. Under concrete or rock or timber or hardpack ...
Because it resists extreme heat. And can be relocated even if only a vague footprint of the foundation remains.

Now add to the question , which structures were unheated/no fires , hearth ect.?
I'll wager a modern nickle there were multiple structures. Huddled under a sail or tarp after a home is destroyed isn't the redundant planning in remote areas clever folks plan for.
Yes folks huddled so elsewhere. Your owner doesn't hint of the type.

An outhouse offers multiple ways to hide a bucket or so . A false wall back then wouldn't matter as much today. Except the results.

A nonfired in structure out of heat /fire range of the main structure?
Under the corner farthest from the main structures prying eyes and at night before carefully blending in any disturbance would be my go to to start.
But only one of multiple places.
Another in sight of my habits of the main structure.
The rare occasion everyone was gone and I slipped a deposit where they all walked upon return is a spot I can watch often.

How many coins can a door hole bored or even slotted atop hold? A tough recovery in a crowd or panic. But out of sight while still watchable too.

Masters quarters construction could be as varied as imagination as to how to squirrel something away. Under the floor and under a thick slab would keep gold or silver.
Moisture would threaten delicates.

Near the main structure might have been a tougher cache.
Servants or the Mrs. or even an individual if a quiet site could use a place to hide valuables in a hurry. Marked by what to assure recovery? (A birdbath then , isn't likely one today. )
But as can be hard to resist a spot within easy eye and notice of the main structure has appeal. Reducing radius of swinging a detector sometimes. (In loose theory.) Most traffic seaside?
Then should a cache be nearly underfoot or hidden away from higher traffic?
Part of a caches security is it's being kept watch on by traffic. Because if anyone knows it exists beyond who placed it , only privacy is required to make a withdrawal.( In loose theory.)

Ya I dunno Bart.
I'd try the lazy part first as it makes for fast recoveries by prior owners.
Solid unmistakable "landmarks" . Front step slab. Corners. Pavers for rainy stepping stones?
Hearth. Backside of footprint of structures. Then highly notable landmarks in sight beyond. (Including a couple nightime options beyond the outhouse excuse without lamp or shovel. Doubtful a too distant cache except beyond being seen , but if there was a big secret amount , wouldn't it be secreted?)

Brilliant everything I was thinking too. No paper money, only coins. No banks, and still defending life and property from invaders. Pirates, privateers, war of 1812, Spanish, French, English all mixing at the time. What does a cotton plantation owner with slaves do with the coins paid for a shipload of cotton....said ship would come to purchase with a box of money/coins !! There had to be a protocol for this transaction?? Coins went and were kept somewhere !! Well....I'll check walls and fondations, wells, and out houses, and the obvious waterfront loading, unloading area. There should be a long carriage lane from house to waterfront, and I will hunt the lane also !! At the very least there should be a dropped coin or 2....but a cache is what I need !!

I'm hoping to have Karl von Mueller type success !! Imagine going to a place where no one has checked for caches !! Karl von Mueller, and some others in the 50s-60s did great on caches, because they were the first to hunt them !! There are many untouched caches in the islands....there were no banks for many years !!

I'm hoping to have Karl von Mueller type success !! Imagine going to a place where no one has checked for caches !! Karl von Mueller, and some others in the 50s-60s did great on caches, because they were the first to hunt them !! There are many untouched caches in the islands....there were no banks for many years !!
Death or hurricane ect. might leave a cache unrecovered. Most were though.
At least those the master could cover with a shotgun from his bed....

Speaking of shotgun.
One was missing in Dads estate.
Nephew found a sliding hidden door I'd forgotten about.
I also couldn't recall and locate the attic access.
Did find the septic tank lid though. (Can't say I'm good for nothin.)

He'd had a small fire causing ceiling tiles to be replaced.
Insurance company hired lady cleaning up fire damage got upset finding ammo hidden up there.
After new fiber tiles were installed and everything was cleaned up and everyone was done Dad touched off a high powdered rifle round out the kitchen window. Nothing new as his shooting range was there a long time.
But it "showed" white stuff off the new ceiling.
So another clean up was in order. But no more stuff hidden in the ceiling that time.

Oh he had stuff hidden though. I'll keep quite about most the results.
I have part of his ammo can cache at hand right close. It has a lithic I need to do a write up on to keep with it too.
Where it was hid (per his instruction or it would still be there) was secure.
Tearing down the structure or nearly gutting it would have been required to find it by accident.
Yet there was a time any traffic in the structure was near it. Within feet.

Some miles down the road there the attic had a false wall on one end. Hidden until demolition and it had stuff in it that caused quite a stir in the community.

An older friend years ago had a similar room. The eye and brain just don't catch three feet missing in a big room easy.
But in his case a bit of light through a crack and finger smudged edge was telling. And later a musky skunky smell...L.o.l.. Care was needed in the "wall" moving not to mar or mark the floor .

In each case a wall behind a wall.
Doable , and claimed done in an outhouse by an author hunter. Who measures under an outhouse seat for wall space dimensions compared to the in use part of the structure?
Did he state a chain stapled and a bucket or three? Been a while...

Did you buy it from my dad 🤣 I was detecting a muddy Foreshore and he said he'd just give up with that many beeps he has no idea how I'm finding stuff
It is a...... gotta dig every signal detector :laughing7:

This guy gives a good idea as to how high or low to set the discrimination.

Thanks but I'm not using this POS! :laughing7: Wait Gold Digger... Does it find gold? NO I tested it with some half gram nuggets.
:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• ARC
Back