THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Well goodnight from here upside down land.
I'll leave you with this until tomorrow.
0aefd09383d7471ea4e6458432b85fa6.jpg

Ours is Meat pies, beer and yobbos but similar thing :laughing7:

As if going back to my desk wasn’t painful enough… I keep an eye on my garden flock on a security camera… well was checking on a baby house sparrow constantly as its parents seemed to drop it off in the morning and come back later for it, it was so cute, bobbing around eating snax and not flying very far when I went out…. Well Thursday afternoon I check the camera only to see one of the crows pick it up in its beak and make off with it … I know everyone has to eat, but really 😞 xx

I told Mr Woo he was a lucky boy, and should show me more appreciation… he was sunbathing at the time and just gave me the side eye … to be fair I think a crow would have trouble getting off the ground with him in its beak 🤨… xx

View attachment 2165576
Crows, the most cunning and clever birds.
I have here seen everything from Magpies, Galahs, Ducks, Kookaburras and everything else hit by cars and dead on our roadsides. I cannot recall in all my years seeing a dead Crow. They are more clever and cunning than people realise. Every other bird I know of that I see I beep my car horn to get off of the road. But Crows, they're off and flying before I ever have needed to. They are in a class of their own.

Good morning all.

It must be a good season for toads. Here's one that I found the other day while splitting firewood, and then a couple by the back door last night.

IMG_6060.jpeg

IMG_6078.jpeg

View attachment 2165632105 feet above sea level. 1789-18?? Mr. Gibson, cotton plantation owner, and loyalist Bahamian settler. The loyalist were the English who lost the revolutionary war, and moved to the Bahamas. I believe he was privateering in the war of 1812, and amassed some wealth. The ruin is big, multi floor, and still partially standing. A nice brass swivel gun was brought down from the hill, and some great household items have been eyeballed and brought down oil lamp, grandfather clock, etcetera. Never been detected and a very deep penetration into the bush. I'm gonna hit this and the out buildings and slave quarters pretty good...packing the tiny 6 inch coil for this bush mission....where do ya think they hid there coinage during the Rev war times ?? This guy was rich and this was a plantation manor home. Seriously virgin colonial era stuff 😲

Coinage?
In a coinage container.( You're welcome!)

Were coins in use daily? Weekly? Monthly? Bi-annually?

Mad money in a dish or container in the kitchen or in or near a hearth.
Were there domestic workers? Expect no secrets among them regarding property including coins of the manor for household purpose.

An owners cache though...
part of my outbuilding placement can remind of more isolated areas where a second structure however humble is a shelter if needed.
Fires were a very real threat back when as well. And one often meant a pile of burnt rubble after. Thus a coin or handful of them placed right in/around a hearth can survive a fire and be recovered intact.
But really the fire resistance of a proper hearth is the concept to me that makes outside corners outside a home or structure appeal. Under concrete or rock or timber or hardpack ...
Because it resists extreme heat. And can be relocated even if only a vague footprint of the foundation remains.

Now add to the question , which structures were unheated/no fires , hearth ect.?
I'll wager a modern nickle there were multiple structures. Huddled under a sail or tarp after a home is destroyed isn't the redundant planning in remote areas clever folks plan for.
Yes folks huddled so elsewhere. Your owner doesn't hint of the type.

An outhouse offers multiple ways to hide a bucket or so . A false wall back then wouldn't matter as much today. Except the results.

A nonfired in structure out of heat /fire range of the main structure?
Under the corner farthest from the main structures prying eyes and at night before carefully blending in any disturbance would be my go to to start.
But only one of multiple places.
Another in sight of my habits of the main structure.
The rare occasion everyone was gone and I slipped a deposit where they all walked upon return is a spot I can watch often.

How many coins can a door hole bored or even slotted atop hold? A tough recovery in a crowd or panic. But out of sight while still watchable too.

Masters quarters construction could be as varied as imagination as to how to squirrel something away. Under the floor and under a thick slab would keep gold or silver.
Moisture would threaten delicates.

Near the main structure might have been a tougher cache.
Servants or the Mrs. or even an individual if a quiet site could use a place to hide valuables in a hurry. Marked by what to assure recovery? (A birdbath then , isn't likely one today. )
But as can be hard to resist a spot within easy eye and notice of the main structure has appeal. Reducing radius of swinging a detector sometimes. (In loose theory.) Most traffic seaside?
Then should a cache be nearly underfoot or hidden away from higher traffic?
Part of a caches security is it's being kept watch on by traffic. Because if anyone knows it exists beyond who placed it , only privacy is required to make a withdrawal.( In loose theory.)

Ya I dunno Bart.
I'd try the lazy part first as it makes for fast recoveries by prior owners.
Solid unmistakable "landmarks" . Front step slab. Corners. Pavers for rainy stepping stones?
Hearth. Backside of footprint of structures. Then highly notable landmarks in sight beyond. (Including a couple nightime options beyond the outhouse excuse without lamp or shovel. Doubtful a too distant cache except beyond being seen , but if there was a big secret amount , wouldn't it be secreted?)

My thinking is, if your ancestors couldn't pick it, dig it up, or kill it, you probably shouldn't eat it. Combining those raw ingredients in recipes is fine. But once you start "processing", and throwing in "enrichments", "enhancements", and "preservatives", red flags go up. The modern food supply is truly amazing. But that progress comes with a cost.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back