THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Baseball and flowers here in Ohio. I suppose it’s spring.

Attachments

• 0F9F2E27-3B2C-4418-9A32-464D7C659F69.jpeg
    0F9F2E27-3B2C-4418-9A32-464D7C659F69.jpeg
    719.4 KB · Views: 11
Morning Everyone! I tried my new detector for about 20 minutes yesterday - They should make sure you take a class before getting a complicated detector :laughing7:

In my brief trial, I found my first penny! Nothing super fancy, a 1944 (I think) Wheat Penny. What are the rules on cleaning coins? Toothbrush and warm water? No soap? Vinegar? I am sure I could google but I trust this thread more. :)

Aside from that, pretty excited for vacation leaving Saturday and detecting on the beach!!!

Attachments

• 426576445_430343476126087_8232922989600755561_n.jpg
    426576445_430343476126087_8232922989600755561_n.jpg
    919.8 KB · Views: 19
Morning Everyone! I tried my new detector for about 20 minutes yesterday - They should make sure you take a class before getting a complicated detector :laughing7:

In my brief trial, I found my first penny! Nothing super fancy, a 1944 (I think) Wheat Penny. What are the rules on cleaning coins? Toothbrush and warm water? No soap? Vinegar? I am sure I could google but I trust this thread more. :)

Aside from that, pretty excited for vacation leaving Saturday and detecting on the beach!!!
Good stuff that you made it out.
For cleaning coppers-dry brush one they're dry if you believe they are something better.

Best advice on using the Deus ll in the beginning is just stick to the general program for dirt digging.
If going to the beach-pick the beach setting.
Pretty fool proof as it's just a simple turn on/off.
As you get to know the machine then the playing with the settings can begin.
Best of luck on the vacation in the sand detecting.

There's one thing that you will encounter with the D2
Lets say you get a high # like in the 70-90 range.
Simple sweep over the target a few times, and even quickly doing a 90 degree angle sweep.
If the number drops from a high number to real low number -10 you can be assured it's a piece of iron.

If the number sticks to the first value-then dig it.
The Deus 2 sticks to the number value and if anything it will get a tad better once the coil is closer to the item.

The informal rule on coin cleaning is that cleaning often/usually ruins a coin for collectors buying coins.
As dug is obviously where to start.
Yes we want to preserve the actual integrity. Your wheat is handing in there. Not rotted or flaking or an infection showing. A great start to not ruining it.

Non rare low value coins are yours to expiriment with.
I toss them in a sink and use dish soap and a toothbrush on them/ Ruining tier value to collector/buyers and making my prior coinshop guy kind of wince.

I've only had a couple coins in trouble. The first was pretty well ruined before I really ruined it.
It could have gone in some olive oil for a long time maybe instead...

I like clean silver. I shouldn't clean silvers like I do. But am not selling either.
More important to me is not damaging or worsening condition of unidentified coins while detecting.
I carry a pill bottle with padding for such.
Yes you'll see pictures of coins I've wet and rubbed dirt off .Naughty as that is. But a date was often seen first. The iffys/unknowns go in the bottle.

All this talk about beach hunting is killing me, beach too far, however, the sanding shores of the Colorado at Bullhead City are just over an hour away. So that will be today's adventure, sand scoop in hand!

To spider eradicate or not to spider eradicate.
Monster, that insisted on $hitting on the new paint, leaving dead flies behind.
Showing that it's useful.
3/8ths of an inch fully expanded.
View attachment 2136981View attachment 2136982
Spiders round here generally understand that if i see them inside... they will be eradicated.
And that applies to most anything that crawls.
Most flying critters that make it in get tossed out.... UNLESS.... REPEAT unless........ they happen to be a mosquito.... Then.... its met with the ole racket "zapper" with furry.
Detest those little bloodsuckers with a passion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back