THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

There's a birch sapling on the hunting property I need to fence (12' section rolled into a 6 foot circle around it with a t-post to hold it in place).
I've untapped maples in the yard. One getting about big enough...

But always wanted to try a drink of birch sap in spring.
Too few birch around me though.

syrup making friend moved. I have not visited his new place.
He'd burn dead ash and set his big stainless tub right above the fire. Blocked up a bit. Finished in kitchen on stove I believe.
Turned out good.
I noted the ask fluttering down at times but it didn't seem to bother anything.

I'd use a camp stove to finish. Big pots on small stove burners for long periods of time isn't good. A neighbor had her stovetop droop while canning long ago! It was quite a sight.
Dad's place we used the wood range. (Wood kitchen range.) Gotta watch the humidity and stickiness!
But was fun to learn. except for the carrying sap part.
I've read of condensing it in pails by pulling ice in the morning when nights freeze, but don't remember doing that.
Although sugar maples are the tree of choice for commercial sugaring due to their high ratio of sugar to water in their sap, many other types of trees can be tapped to make syrup, including silver and red maples, hickory, birch, box elder, and walnuts.

I think Birch is close to 60/1 ratio, Black Walnut is 45+/1, Maple trees can be 35-40/1 depending upon sugar content.
7 ft evaporator is 10-12 gallon boil rate per hour.
One better have 45 gallons to start it up.

Long days, sweet nights. 😋

I've only been a member for a few years now, but I've definitely noticed very few members remain active for more than 8 or 10 years. I've often thought about the why of it. Did they lose interest or get burned out on hunting, or just the community part of it, and, if that will that happen to me.
I don't foresee it, but ya never know...
My buddy that got me started md'ing 4 years ago seems to have gotten burnt out on it, and he was quite nutty about it just a year ago. Now he winters in Florida and doesn't even detect there!
That's just bonkers to me.
One just has to look at many profiles. 2022 seems to be a bad year of folks stopping.
I forget when the site was upgraded.
But it could be something else.

I've only been a member for a few years now, but I've definitely noticed very few members remain active for more than 8 or 10 years. I've often thought about the why of it. Did they lose interest or get burned out on hunting, or just the community part of it, and, if that will that happen to me.
I don't foresee it, but ya never know...
My buddy that got me started md'ing 4 years ago seems to have gotten burnt out on it, and he was quite nutty about it just a year ago. Now he winters in Florida and doesn't even detect there!
That's just bonkers to me.
I was on here about 10 years ago. I left cause of a couple of members. But they are gone now. I had just started looking for Arrowheads’s and unfortunately I posted some rocks just like newbie’s do. Well they just couldn’t leave it alone. I finally met another collector that taught me the difference between rocks and artifacts. Now I’m back and have a nice collection that just keeps growing. I used to go by another site name. I say let the past stay in the past.

groundhog.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back