THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

IMG_4211.jpeg

Plain Jane 220. Not sure which letter follows.
Workhorse.
Older. Not super old by any means. Late sixties maybe? This is where original fuel cap can help me. The rolled (ribbed looking) collar below the frame I should remember the years of too. and don't...
Looking underneath at the founts bottom will reveal month and year of build.
Good glass globe (from this view).
Light prevents seeing if proper fuel fill cap is on. But it has a cap.

220's don't get much respect.
No lantern left behind means ten bucks. The glass is worth that. Though it may not be original.
Twenty bucks wouldn't be unfair if it works/runs. But the seller wants more I'd hazard.
Don't know it's condition. Upper vent looks decent , but if chipped up isn't a start a fist fight over type acquisition.
If the only lantern one had was a similar or the same model , it would make for a nice companion piece. And spare parts on hand.

Plain Jane 220. Not sure which letter follows.
Workhorse.
Older. Not super old by any means. Late sixties maybe? This is where original fuel cap can help me. The rolled (ribbed looking) collar below the frame I should remember the years of too. and don't...
Looking underneath at the founts bottom will reveal month and year of build.
Good glass globe (from this view).
Light prevents seeing if proper fuel fill cap is on. But it has a cap.

220's don't get much respect.
No lantern left behind means ten bucks. The glass is worth that. Though it may not be original.
Twenty bucks wouldn't be unfair if it works/runs. But the seller wants more I'd hazard.
Don't know it's condition. Upper vent looks decent , but if chipped up isn't a start a fist fight over type acquisition.
If the only lantern one had was a similar or the same model , it would make for a nice companion piece. And spare parts on hand.
And that’s why I posted the pic.

220F
$63.00

Thanks , RC.
I will always post a pic if I come across one, just in case it is the one you have been looking.

And that’s why I posted the pic.

220F
$63.00

Thanks , RC.
I will always post a pic if I come across one, just in case it is the one you have been looking.
Hmm.
Last acquisition was a 200A with a reflector. Paid the most I've paid for one for it but the reflector offsets the cost.. And reflectors vary in value. it doesn't have the wood handle like a favorite does. But away we go. l.o.l..

A birthday lantern in a 200A I do not own.
In the predating "Burg" area . Possibly a cherry color. (Burgandy was a 200A color for a couple years.) Tall "hat" /upper vent I believe. (Older style)
Problem being If I tell you what year and month, you'll know my age and month of birth. Next you'll think I'm not real young probably.
Then they are rare enough I don't want to pay what people are asking anyways!

I can recall 8 bucks type buys. Today in Japan and elsewhere a hundred or more for similar stuff.
Metal Coleman green case I didn't go look at at a sale last week , run a hundred easy enough.
I'd squirm to pay 25.
But did buy a wood case someone home built to hold two lanterns similar to your picture , and a gallon of fuel. Fuel can holder bottom area kind of strange and wants the can I tried fit at an slight angle better than upright.(not sure if that's deliberate) , but I like to see home built boxes.
This one being a bit heavy for me. But was cheap at auction.
I get a decent outbuilding I'll be wanting to build some pine lantern boxes. And maybe modify some I already have. Going back to the early-mid seventies and my first ice fishing box found abandoned with it's broken handle/hole in it's top.
I've replaced all but one (?) board in it over the years.. Holds a model 200A just right and allows keeping hands warm and whatever is on the top hot.
Plus it will haul a few fish with the lantern after it cools.
Plus the old metal band aid box with spare mantles.

Had that box and a lantern in the truck decades ago and grabbed it for a table to chop roots off some rose plantings with a machete. Split the box almost in half first whack. Fortunately without the lantern in it.
(Dummy!)

Here's a Burg.
Comparing color , and vent to later ones will show some differences.
See the screw in the fuel fill cap? Makes it a 3 piece cap. And predates the smooth topped no screw later ones.
Going back before the pictured cap are other types.
One on 242's is smaller. An odd duck so to speak.
Further back are some winged . Not sure if Coleman had winged. Maybe. And farther back in lamps a handpump style. Unscrew it partway before holding pump against it it's concave surface matching end of pump. Vs. the lanterns we're looking at with thier own built in pumps. (!).

Last edited:
Took my dad on a bit of a drive today. A little farther than our usual stomping grounds. There were a few antique and what not stores, but the purpose of the drive was Hungarian cabbage rolls served on Tuesdays. Boy they were delicious! Sorry no pic. I bought a few things that were just aesthetically pleasing to me.

$3.00 for the bottle that I imagine had talc powder in it. At least that’s what I could think of.
$5.75 for the Smile bottle.

IMG_4219.jpeg

Then we went into what used to be a bank. A bank that John Dillinger robbed. That was cool.
I spied this plate and it didn’t have a price. I gave it to the guy and told him how I bought 8 amber ones last year for a dollar each. I admitted that I got them at a steal. He had to call the owner. I was dead set on getting the plate and made up my mind that I would pay up to $20.00. He came back with a wonderful price, $3.99. Sold! So glad he didn’t see my poker face. 🤭

IMG_4218.jpeg

I found an Etsy listing for $27.45, so I am very satisfied.

Now for those who don’t know who John Dillinger was: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dillinger

Hmm.
Last acquisition was a 200A with a reflector. Paid the most I've paid for one for it but the reflector offsets the cost.. And reflectors vary in value. it doesn't have the wood handle like a favorite does. But away we go. l.o.l..

A birthday lantern in a 200A I do not own.
In the predating "Burg" area . Possibly a cherry color. (Burgandy was a 200A color for a couple years.) Tall "hat" /upper vent I believe. (Older style)
Problem being If I tell you what year and month, you'll know my age and month of birth. Next you'll think I'm not real young probably.
Then they are rare enough I don't want to pay what people are asking anyways!

I can recall 8 bucks type buys. Today in Japan and elsewhere a hundred or more for similar stuff.
Metal Coleman green case I didn't go look at at a sale last week , run a hundred easy enough.
I'd squirm to pay 25.
But did buy a wood case someone home built to hold two lanterns similar to your picture , and a gallon of fuel. Fuel can holder bottom area kind of strange and wants the can I tried fit at an slight angle better than upright.(not sure if that's deliberate) , but I like to see home built boxes.
This one being a bit heavy for me. But was cheap at auction.
I get a decent outbuilding I'll be wanting to build some pine lantern boxes. And maybe modify some I already have. Going back to the early-mid seventies and my first ice fishing box found abandoned with it's broken handle/hole in it's top.
I've replaced all but one (?) board in it over the years.. Holds a model 200A just right and allows keeping hands warm and whatever is on the top hot.
Plus it will haul a few fish with the lantern after it cools.
Plus the old metal band aid box with spare mantles.

Had that box and a lantern in the truck decades ago and grabbed it for a table to chop roots off some rose plantings with a machete. Split the box almost in half first whack. Fortunately without the lantern in it.
(Dummy!)

Here's a Burg.
Comparing color , and vent to later ones will show some differences.
See the screw in the fuel fill cap? Makes it a 3 piece cap. And predates the smooth topped no screw later ones.
Going back before the pictured cap are other types.
One on 242's is smaller. An odd duck so to speak.
Further back are some winged . Not sure if Coleman had winged. Maybe. And farther back in lamps a handpump style. Unscrew it partway before holding pump against it it's concave surface matching end of pump. Vs. the lanterns we're looking at with thier own built in pumps. (!).

The 1963 caught my eye and I was tempted just because of the year. My dad said he had an old Coleman somewhere and then I reminded him he gave it to me already. He laughed and said, “Well I guess I don’t have one anymore.” Lol

You are a plethora of information when it comes to these lanterns.

The 1963 caught my eye and I was tempted just because of the year. My dad said he had an old Coleman somewhere and then I reminded him he gave it to me already. He laughed and said, “Well I guess I don’t have one anymore.” Lol

You are a plethora of information when it comes to these lanterns.
My Dad's two...I've a long history with the one. Didn't really know he had the, other. He may have told me though. Someone had not reassembled the old one right....An age thing perhaps? And it was shooting gas where it shouldn't... He'd painted the frame and inside it silver. i suspect that's when it got put together wrong.

Long story time? Here we go...

2nd grade. Dad drops me off at "home" with /at stepdads and moms and sisters.
Said maybe next time we'll go ice fishing.
I asked (my nature was to ask) how do you fish on the ice?
Through a hole Dad said. You'll see.
Leaving me weeks to contemplate such a mystery. But I had seen the danger thin ice signs bobbing in a jagged hole ion pictures or cartoons or somewhere , so knew there were jagged holes in the ice.
when Dad picked me up next time I handed him a card I'd made. (Folded blue construction paper) illustrated by yours truly. Depicting a jagged hole in the ice. And what are those things? Dad asked.
Those are pieces of boards nailed to the ice so big fish can't pull us in the hole! I proudly stated. Having solved a nagging concern I'd had when figuring out the potential logistics of such an endeavor as ice fishing.
Poor Dad. He only had one son , and he an odd one .

In time Dad would pick me up after his second shift and we'd meet W.P. (name reserved less we incriminate his family) who owned an ice fishing shanty but not a vehicle. (?) at the tavern at midnight. Sometimes we'd pick him up at his little old clapboard house , loud wife , 60 watt naked porch bulb and daughter he once trotted out and suggest we might marry some day , before returning her to her Mothers custody.
And to a particular lake we'd go.
W.'s shanty and Dad's lantern. A bucket of minnies and a bucket to put specs (crappie) in and I was on my own.
Dad would check in now and then. Some visits his girlfriends boy joined me.
If the bucket wasn't full prior , daylight usually ended the fishing.
To Dads house (old cottage it was ) to clean and fry fish for breakfast.
Thsat lantern made it possible.
And a lantern (200A that has a storied history too that I acquired quite young performed the same function on the ice (and other functions well beyond) for me in later years.
Heat and light.
A different game in summer carp/catfish fishing. But the little lantern was important.
Camping for sure. Power outages. My first home I bought with no power yet. And fewer appliences for quite awhile while my Coleman two burner stove cooked. Coolers cooled. Lantern lit. Mattress matressed . Fart sack sleeping bag bagged.
A netter quality back then.
And I still have a Coleman 8x10 canvas tent that has been Florida to Canada and in between. With of course my oldest owned 200A lantern.

There it sat on the I beam of the garage ceiling.
My kerosene lantern from an old house clean out had disappeared along with my fuel can.
Things did that in my childhood. No one confessed but I doubt a stranger was involved.
So my asking what the lantern on the I-beam was likely came as no surprise to my step Dad.
Note I wasn't asking why . Which was the big question as I'd never seen it used and step Dad had his 220 he used.
It's a lantern he said. If you fix it you can have it. Not sure if he told me then or later what was wrong with it. But I "fixed" it and despite it pooping stinky grease/Vaseline several years or more before I cleaned it better ; I protected it from all comers.
Still jealous of it. And we've a lot of miles and hours burning together.
Spearing suckers in spring. (Nothing says spring like a hole or two poked in ones waders.)Smelt dipping farther North. and nothing says smelt like the first batch cooked after netting them while in the same area they came from. Lanterns all night and thier partner stoves in daylight. Or sooner!

Custom pole barn. Po-boy.
The reflector for a high bay light salvaged and hung at the rafters peak with a pulley centered above it. Hand crank spool of rope made from a salvaged welding wire spool on the pole barns wall.
That old 200A lit and cranked up to the peak to light the whole barn.
When ordered off that property by the divorce court and parting ways with "my" barn it may be assured that old lantern left with me. No offense to it's prior owners , but it belongs to me still.

I cleaned Dads's 242 up. (Forgot letter suffix I do that a lot.)Not restore it cleaned up , but clean and remove loose rust and paint and get it running type clean up.
Short two tiny screws that don't stop it from working. A home made bale handle , why I don't know but such are stories lost to history.
Left his wire loop atop the vent it must have hung from for some reason. Pre bale? Post?

Folks on the Old Coleman forum have light ups for certain folks or events. A type prayer really.
I'll reserve Dad's 242 for similar and have ran it for him since.
But in the mix and small crowd is my own adventure partner that Dads lantern inspired me to hold onto. Well worn and well traveled 200A ready for another adventure. The remains of it's former ice fishing companion and traveling protection box is in the basement. Still solid enough to do the job. It's one (?) original board repaired with a rough holed piece of metal a kid salvaged from who knows where when he spotted a crack in it. I'd be ashamed of the repair if it hadn't been me that did it! So it remains.

A 220 don't leave it behind for 10 bucks lantern came with a wood box. No lid. No handle. I didn't ask questions. I grab it sometimes for pck ups. To keep on safe in the truck bed.
And yes I have front seat belted a lantern before l.o.l... As have plenty of folks smiling with an acquisition.

Years later I mentioned to a co-worker when discussing ice fishing , where I had gotten my start and at night.
"Guys just stood around in a circle and drank there" was his reply.
That explained what Dad was up to! l.o.l.
But them was tasty specs.
And years later the lake was still great fishing. Private though and I've no longer access.
Well , I can get on it. Just not like we used to a couple places.
A lantern and specs in a lake and good ice...Well I've got the lantern.

A friend called the other night all excited on his way home to get help and his lantern for tracking a deer he arrowed.
We'll be replacing his pump's leather next visit probably. Or the whole pump , who knows.
But it did it's job far out in the woods on a very long hike.

My Dad's two...I've a long history with the one. Didn't really know he had the, other. He may have told me though. Someone had not reassembled the old one right....An age thing perhaps? And it was shooting gas where it shouldn't... He'd painted the frame and inside it silver. i suspect that's when it got put together wrong.

Long story time? Here we go...

2nd grade. Dad drops me off at "home" with /at stepdads and moms and sisters.
Said maybe next time we'll go ice fishing.
I asked (my nature was to ask) how do you fish on the ice?
Through a hole Dad said. You'll see.
Leaving me weeks to contemplate such a mystery. But I had seen the danger thin ice signs bobbing in a jagged hole ion pictures or cartoons or somewhere , so knew there were jagged holes in the ice.
when Dad picked me up next time I handed him a card I'd made. (Folded blue construction paper) illustrated by yours truly. Depicting a jagged hole in the ice. And what are those things? Dad asked.
Those are pieces of boards nailed to the ice so big fish can't pull us in the hole! I proudly stated. Having solved a nagging concern I'd had when figuring out the potential logistics of such an endeavor as ice fishing.
Poor Dad. He only had one son , and he an odd one .

In time Dad would pick me up after his second shift and we'd meet W.P. (name reserved less we incriminate his family) who owned an ice fishing shanty but not a vehicle. (?) at the tavern at midnight. Sometimes we'd pick him up at his little old clapboard house , loud wife , 60 watt naked porch bulb and daughter he once trotted out and suggest we might marry some day , before returning her to her Mothers custody.
And to a particular lake we'd go.
W.'s shanty and Dad's lantern. A bucket of minnies and a bucket to put specs (crappie) in and I was on my own.
Dad would check in now and then. Some visits his girlfriends boy joined me.
If the bucket wasn't full prior , daylight usually ended the fishing.
To Dads house (old cottage it was ) to clean and fry fish for breakfast.
Thsat lantern made it possible.
And a lantern (200A that has a storied history too that I acquired quite young performed the same function on the ice (and other functions well beyond) for me in later years.
Heat and light.
A different game in summer carp/catfish fishing. But the little lantern was important.
Camping for sure. Power outages. My first home I bought with no power yet. And fewer appliences for quite awhile while my Coleman two burner stove cooked. Coolers cooled. Lantern lit. Mattress matressed . Fart sack sleeping bag bagged.
A netter quality back then.
And I still have a Coleman 8x10 canvas tent that has been Florida to Canada and in between. With of course my oldest owned 200A lantern.

There it sat on the I beam of the garage ceiling.
My kerosene lantern from an old house clean out had disappeared along with my fuel can.
Things did that in my childhood. No one confessed but I doubt a stranger was involved.
So my asking what the lantern on the I-beam was likely came as no surprise to my step Dad.
Note I wasn't asking why . Which was the big question as I'd never seen it used and step Dad had his 220 he used.
It's a lantern he said. If you fix it you can have it. Not sure if he told me then or later what was wrong with it. But I "fixed" it and despite it pooping stinky grease/Vaseline several years or more before I cleaned it better ; I protected it from all comers.
Still jealous of it. And we've a lot of miles and hours burning together.
Spearing suckers in spring. (Nothing says spring like a hole or two poked in ones waders.)Smelt dipping farther North. and nothing says smelt like the first batch cooked after netting them while in the same area they came from. Lanterns all night and thier partner stoves in daylight. Or sooner!

Custom pole barn. Po-boy.
The reflector for a high bay light salvaged and hung at the rafters peak with a pulley centered above it. Hand crank spool of rope made from a salvaged welding wire spool on the pole barns wall.
That old 200A lit and cranked up to the peak to light the whole barn.
When ordered off that property by the divorce court and parting ways with "my" barn it may be assured that old lantern left with me. No offense to it's prior owners , but it belongs to me still.

I cleaned Dads's 242 up. (Forgot letter suffix I do that a lot.)Not restore it cleaned up , but clean and remove loose rust and paint and get it running type clean up.
Short two tiny screws that don't stop it from working. A home made bale handle , why I don't know but such are stories lost to history.
Left his wire loop atop the vent it must have hung from for some reason. Pre bale? Post?

Folks on the Old Coleman forum have light ups for certain folks or events. A type prayer really.
I'll reserve Dad's 242 for similar and have ran it for him since.
But in the mix and small crowd is my own adventure partner that Dads lantern inspired me to hold onto. Well worn and well traveled 200A ready for another adventure. The remains of it's former ice fishing companion and traveling protection box is in the basement. Still solid enough to do the job. It's one (?) original board repaired with a rough holed piece of metal a kid salvaged from who knows where when he spotted a crack in it. I'd be ashamed of the repair if it hadn't been me that did it! So it remains.

A 220 don't leave it behind for 10 bucks lantern came with a wood box. No lid. No handle. I didn't ask questions. I grab it sometimes for pck ups. To keep on safe in the truck bed.
And yes I have front seat belted a lantern before l.o.l... As have plenty of folks smiling with an acquisition.
I love your long story. Fond memories and sad. Makes you who you are now. And explains the treasure of the Lantern.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back