THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Hi all, I'm new to this forum so just getting to grips with everything. I thought posting on the "random" thread would be a safe start!

So I'm from the UK, looking for a buddy to help me in the Grand Rapids area, I know of a gold trinket buried there.

I'm looking for information about metal detectors; specifically the general penetrative range, if that's generalized...I have little-to-no knowledge on the subject😅 would a metal detector detect gold buried at approximately 2 feet down, just in dirt?

Thanks for your help in advance, & sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.
Welcome to TreasureNet... and Welcome to The Random Chat Thread.

Hi all, I'm new to this forum so just getting to grips with everything. I thought posting on the "random" thread would be a safe start!

So I'm from the UK, looking for a buddy to help me in the Grand Rapids area, I know of a gold trinket buried there.

I'm looking for information about metal detectors; specifically the general penetrative range, if that's generalized...I have little-to-no knowledge on the subject😅 would a metal detector detect gold buried at approximately 2 feet down, just in dirt?

Thanks for your help in advance, & sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.
Welcome to the forum meow.
To answer your question regarding the gold trinket that is @ 2 feet below the surface, no/possible.
Not very likely with most detectors that are in use by the average person.

It depends on the size of the trinket, soil, moisture, and the type of detector. There are PI (Pulse induction) detectors that would be useful for this type recovery.

Welcome to the forum meow.
To answer your question regarding the gold trinket that is @ 2 feet below the surface, no/possible.
Not very likely with most detectors that are in use by the average person.

It depends on the size of the trinket, soil, moisture, and the type of detector. There are PI (Pulse induction) detectors that would be useful for this type recovery.
Thanks pepper!
I thought that may be the case. So, the reason I ask is because I'm not 100% sure of the site where the item is buried...I have 2 sites, but wanted to avoid asking someone to dig the ground unnecessarily. I take part in online treasure hunts, so I've solved some riddles & puzzles to arrive at 2 destinations. If a metal detector could've been used it would've made life so much easier, such is life! Thanks for your reply. I'm blown away by the reception I've had on this forum quite honestly. Anyone else I've contacted won't even reply 😅

Welcome aboard!

See any fish?
1692887874214.png

1692888270107.png

Welcome!

Not sure about being safe....Perhaps you keep trying and find out! L.o.l...

I lived in G.R. about a year. Tis a city. Not my cup of tea. No offence.
In the Michigan sub forum here you might locate the Michigan detectorist that hits areas in G.R.. I of course don't remember the name(s).
Parks were a topic if that helps in a search.

Where your X's are I don't want to know or see published for privacy's sake.
G.R. has many areas razed and bulldozed over time.
A yard I worked for someone was almost as much rubble as dirt for example.
Each park should likely be considered unique in what is below the surface.

You get stuck too long some where looking for a G.R. detectorist let me know.

Mornin all.

Visited a tiny museum in a park I've hunted over the years.
I shouldn't criticize if I'm not going to get involved. But it needs a curator.
One thing I can't stand on relics or in rooms is mold smell let alone sight.
And being seldom open the old building likely has poor air circulation also..

I've a couple items recovered from the ground there and that's why I stopped in.
In case it needed something for displaying.
It really doesn't But I'll keep it in mind anyways when the items are encountered again .
I'd have to figure out how to secure them in a display is all.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back