THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Its snowing here in Indiana this morning but I think we will be alright I doubt that there will be much accumulation it seems to be melting before it hits the ground.:laughing9:
Morning
That's some crazy weather reporting, sure you have had too much of the Captain's special brew?

Do you do Stone Crab?

We found it really tasty as we were treated by the owners Mrs while staying at their rental on Anna Maria Island.
Caps. Anthony if I recall right, was the family.
Really amazing fresh crab.
We mentioned that we didn't even detect any fishy smell on our paws afterwards, "Well that's a sure sign it's fresh she said"
Yes....I prefer stone crab to lobster. Where I live is one of the most productive stone crabbing areas in florida.....they catch more in stenahachee and some other gulf side areas, but we get the "super colossal" size claws. I've worked on stonecrab boats for a good portion of my fishing career, and would love to get a small crab business for the family. Yesterday one was hanging upside down inside a cave with the lobsters.....not allowed to take the claws until September or October so we left him there....he was huge. Its very sustainable and the crabs are released so they can grow there claws back.....only the claws are taken!!

Yes....I prefer stone crab to lobster. Where I live is one of the most productive stone crabbing areas in florida.....they catch more in stenahachee and some other gulf side areas, but we get the "super colossal" size claws. I've worked on stonecrab boats for a good portion of my fishing career, and would love to get a small crab business for the family. Yesterday one was hanging upside down inside a cave with the lobsters.....not allowed to take the claws until September or October so we left him there....he was huge. Its very sustainable and the crabs are released so they can grow there claws back.....only the claws are taken!!
It's amazing that the crab can just regrow another meal-what a deal.
Yes I can just picture that huge guy

Morning
That's some crazy weather reporting, sure you have had too much of the Captain's special brew?
The flakes seem to be melting before they leave the clouds but I'm going to get the snow blower out and the shovel just in case,you just never know in times like this.:laughing7:

I built this boat with ernie, and fished a sister boat for many years. I've watched his kids grow and learn the business, they are a generational business started by ernie father. I love fishing with ernie, and we've been buds for a long time !!

I'm a great stone crab fisherman, but I never had my own business......I either worked deck or drove and hauled pots. I'd love to have 200 traps, and a small economical boat. We would haul twice a week for side money and family time.

In 1995, we bought 2 Identicle 43 ft. Torres fishing hulls. Ernie and a friend paid 52,000$ for both hulls. I went to Torres boat factory in keywest and helped lay up both hulls in the mold. We had two 892 diesels completely rebuilt for each boat. When the hulls were done I put bulkheads and a cap on and they were popped from the mold and put in the canal. We towed both unfinished boats 100 miles to keylargo, and finished them there. Ernies boat is the "Risky business ", and the boat I fished was called "Fish Wish" both boats are still fishing, and have generated millions of dollars over the years. Both boats are identical !! These 2 boats were among the first built by me without partnership from my father, and all on my own !! I built other Torres hulls, and always seem to be associated with the Torres brand. Same hulls....different deck and house configurations !!

20230806_202537.jpg
high gloss on cuban mahogany with ribbon figuring
20230806_202624.jpg

Same slab viewed from opposite ends. The figure morphs as you move around the piece !!

Some of you folks may remember that last year at this time myself and two of my friends took the classes to become Open Water Scuba Divers. We all passed and in our excitement, we all 3 signed up with our SCUBA Shop for a non-refundable week vacation in Bonaire. Then, I went to Belize and had my panic attack. Well, us gals are leaving for Bonaire Saturday. We had a meet and greet/organizational party at the SCUBA shop last night and I feel a whole lot better about going! I know I still have a challenge ahead of me, but I am going to give it a try again. It's 11 boat dives, some nitrox diving, some night diving, and unlimited shore diving. I'm sticking to the shore diving and maybe some snorkeling. I have no interest what-so-ever in night diving. And since my longest dive so far has only been 32 minutes, I don't see the need for nitrox.
Anyway, I will be scarce around here this week. Most likely, you won't see me at all next week. I will take pics!

1691419696573.jpeg

Stella’s?
Who remembers st Pauli girls?
Do they still make it?
Recall the saying?
I remember them when they were brewed and bottled in Germany. Then I couldn’t get them for a while and then one day the liquor store guy called me and says he’s got them again. Turns out they’re now brewed in America but now that run has ran out and I can’t find them anymore.

Top of the day everyone :coffee2: :occasion14: Take your pick. Strong storms blew thru last night and the power went out long enuff to make the clocks blink so there went the alarm for physical therapy this morning but luckily I made it there on time :icon_thumright:

Some of you folks may remember that last year at this time myself and two of my friends took the classes to become Open Water Scuba Divers. We all passed and in our excitement, we all 3 signed up with our SCUBA Shop for a non-refundable week vacation in Bonaire. Then, I went to Belize and had my panic attack. Well, us gals are leaving for Bonaire Saturday. We had a meet and greet/organizational party at the SCUBA shop last night and I feel a whole lot better about going! I know I still have a challenge ahead of me, but I am going to give it a try again. It's 11 boat dives, some nitrox diving, some night diving, and unlimited shore diving. I'm sticking to the shore diving and maybe some snorkeling. I have no interest what-so-ever in night diving. And since my longest dive so far has only been 32 minutes, I don't see the need for nitrox.
Anyway, I will be scarce around here this week. Most likely, you won't see me at all next week. I will take pics!

View attachment 2098032

Hope all goes really well for you WD.
No panic worries
Find some treasures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back