THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Well the fact that they salvaged and repurposed this ship means to many that nothing of value would be at this site. Thats why none of the greats before me botherd to even definitively locate the actual site. Well it should be close to the location marked on spanish salvage charts from 1733. I have the mark, and I've found some wood and spikes right under the heart of this tourist site !! Looking carefully at the old charts, I realize this could be closer than I ever thought...hidden in plain sight....maybe even closer than ever thought before !! Considering the accuracy of the old charts, changing creek channels, and sand movement its possible im closer to this sight than originally suspected....add to that a definite coin find, and im starting to see a pattern !! I can work with that.....now I need to recon/snorkel the sight I think this wreck debri field should be, and work backwards toward my timber finds, and the coin find.....it may turn out the coin site is the actual wreck site !! Either way this spot is rich in modern drops, and it may conceal 1733 fleet coins and treasure also !!
Well. Not being involved it's speculation. But.....
Let me touch shore in such a storm and all I'm going to want is beach and higher beach.
A piece of canvas would be real nice to break the wind and keep me drier after finding an anchor of some kind to keep me from blowing away.
But unless forced under threat of great bodily harm , I'd be hiding.
To heck with the ship that brought me here or it's cargo for now.
We'll scrounge after the storm breaks / moves on /away enough.
Meanwhile nature can do what she will with the cargo and personal effects left to the mercies of wind and wave and flows up onto shore where I'm still scrambling farther. My life compared to what might be going on in the flows of wet sand I can't see in?
When's high tide and how many feet of storm surge we already talkin?
Heck , I'd be scrambled so far off the ocean by now if able....You'd have to find me to threaten me!

As the days ware on the salvage begins....with that the biggest worries are water, food, and the bugs, weather, and Indians were other factors !! Being close to havana help was quick, but it probably took weeks to evac everyone not needed for the salvage. They were quickly back out to sea seeking supplies, tools, and treasure !! Dismantling the ships and discarding much ruined goods and supplies. Hidden in some of this merchandise, and deep in the bowels of these ships was the hidden wealth being smuggled. An average of double the value of registered cargo may have been hidden and never reclaimed for fear of prosecution by the king of Spain for smuggling !! This is what makes it interesting to me ??

Well. Not being involved it's speculation. But.....
Let me touch shore in such a storm and all I'm going to want is beach and higher beach.
A piece of canvas would be real nice to break the wind and keep me drier after finding an anchor of some kind to keep me from blowing away.
But unless forced under threat of great bodily harm , I'd be hiding.
To heck with the ship that brought me here or it's cargo for now.
We'll scrounge after the storm breaks / moves on /away enough.
Meanwhile nature can do what she will with the cargo and personal effects left to the mercies of wind and wave and flows up onto shore where I'm still scrambling farther. My life compared to what might be going on in the flows of wet sand I can't see in?
When's high tide and how many feet of storm surge we already talkin?
Heck , I'd be scrambled so far off the ocean by now if able....You'd have to find me to threaten me!
One spanish corpse was found way up in the island in 1980s....gold escudos were found in the bones by a nursery owner, and part time treasure hunter while he cleared some land......buttons, buckles, and escudos found with some bones !! There are anomalies here and there and I've tracked every one....our family land is in the heart of this area and I'll be searching it this winter for "anomalies " treasure!!

One spanish corpse was found way up in the island in 1980s....gold escudos were found in the bones by a nursery owner, and part time treasure hunter while he cleared some land......buttons, buckles, and escudos found with some bones !! There are anomalies here and there and I've tracked every one....our family land is in the heart of this area and I'll be searching it this winter for "anomalies " treasure!!

Spainard was wreck related?
Gold dates might help.
Wasn't likely robbed/plundered if toting them coins. No mention of a weapon(s) though.
Adrift with surge?
Or parked himself before succumbing to who knows what?

Quite a coast there it reads like. Next you'll find wrecked wreckers!

LYRICS
Conquistador your stallion stands In need of company And like some angel's haloed brow You reek of purity I see your armor-plated breast Has long since lost it's sheen And in your death-mask face There are no signs which can be seen Though I hoped for something to find I could see no maze to unwind Conquistador a vulture sits Upon your silver shield And in your rusty scabbard now The sand has taken seed And though your jewel-encrusted blade Has not been plundered still Sea has washed across your face And taken of its fill Though I hoped for Something to find I could see no Maze to unwind And though I hoped for Something to find I could see no Maze to unwind (...) Conquistador there is no time I must pay my respects And though I came to jeer at you I leave now with regrets And as the gloom begins to fall I see there is no, only all And though you came with sword held high You did not conquer, only die Though I hoped for Something to find I could see no Maze to unwind And though I hoped for Something to find I could see no Maze to unwind (...) And though I hoped for Something to find I could see no Maze to unwind

Good morning. Last grand kid. He wanted to metal detect. He has a lot of nails. Grandma got out the max and helped him find something a little better.

IMG_3847.jpeg

IMG_3848.jpeg

IMG_3849.jpeg

Gold dates might help.
Wasn't likely robbed/plundered if toting them coins. No mention of a weapon(s) though.
Adrift with surge?

Yes....spanish, with gold escudos from the time. Mr art McKee ended up with the coins after purchasing them. I knew the granddaughter for years, and had never met her grandpa till one day in the dentist office, where all this was relayed to me. he said he and Dr. Molinari made the discovery......its very close to our family property, and there are other properties close by that I don't have permission for....yet !! Molinari was a legend down here, and a treasure pioneer.

Good morning everyone, I am itching for a good place to metal detect been so long since I've had a decent site. Watching everyone else find such cool things is killing me lol.

Gold dates might help.
Adrift with surge?

Wrecked while carrying a wreck...

Me too!
I can’t find any Spanish shipwrecks in indiana
California is young state wise and a huge population. So anything good mostly has been cleaned out. Mostly boring history beyond the gold rush

Me too!
I can’t find any Spanish shipwrecks in indiana
Ya never know!
We get old timbers show up sometimes. Then get covered up again.
Here's one I've wondered about. A native reported seeing it struggle in a storm . That was the last known siting.https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/02/13/le-griffon-shipwreck-great-lakes/23344219/

That is of interest didn't know of that
I might not either if not for an interest in trade beads years ago.
(How I got to wandering around Californias history in the process might be a puzzling matter. But a pleasant reading from the easy chair type adventure anyways.)

I might not either if not for an interest in trade beads years ago.
(How I got to wandering around Californias history in the process might be a puzzling matter. But a pleasant reading from the easy chair type adventure anyways.)

I know there was spanish history along the coast. We have spanish missions and such however the majority is all protected areas. You'd have to be good at research and securing permissions to get a spot that had spanish activity not covered in a protected area

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back