THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Alright guys, especially @ARC no one saw this back and forth I had on this thread, but dang man I think this person has something incredibly significant....she comes across as genuine to me and if this is true then her grandparents were very close to enormous treasure !! Im very well versed about David Marteens exploits as a buccaneer 1651-1672 !! Im searching source material now to read read !! Fascinating sh.t !!

Arggggh.

Was Marteen really paranoid? So much that the treasure was relocated from a warmer site ; to Conn.?

Just thoughts. Not facts or insults.
A paranoid soul leaving stone billboards? Waypoints clearly defined including admission of a plundering event?

Going up skinny water inland equals vulnerability.
One account has the buccaneers outnumbered (outgunned) by local folks.
Not a good position. Or private , with that many eyes around when looking to secret a treasure...

No mention of thier careening a ship or boat from the ship. Going inland to do that out of site of traffic during a maintenance project , maybe makes sense.
A mention of Marteen saying they'd be gone after two weeks hints of an extended project. Far more than just burying a cache ; timewise. Not that a cache couldn't be made amid the diversion of actual needed activities that made sense. Ship or boat work or resupplying ect..
Even just hunting /surveying for a spare or replacement mast if the right timber grew there at the time.

A cache should be accessible though.
An easy recovery even under pressure.
Without witnesses when cache is made. Or evidence of a cache prior to recovery.

I showed the kid a cache site of mine underfoot the other day.
No markers. No evidence. No map. No testimony regarding provenance. No witnesses.
Simple to locate. If you know where it is. I could give you brief simple instructions and you'd have it quick like and be gone. E.. Then S.E. to... Dig.

Before Dad died he told me where his ammo can cache was. I wouldn't have found it without demolishing a structure otherwise. No map. No markers. No witnesses. No record beyond my being told where it was.
I sent nephews to recover it. Only thier believing it was there kept them trying till they understood thier instructions made sense. The hidden was doubly hidden. It's slight /small location simple as far as the actual X. Touching it , not so easy.

Thank you all so much. It means a lot. 🥰

Bamasteve, I think we were in your area. He was flown by helicopter to the Deaconess Gateway Hospital and we stayed at the Drury until Saturday. I was thinking,” I wish this was different circumstances,” while we were there.

Big weekend coming up. My wife is always telling me I need to hydrate. This should make her happy.....maybe.
20230427_144541.jpg

Who knows with all the "woke" stuff what it could mean!! LOL It sure goes down smooth though! I aquired a taste for it when I lived in Honduras in the 80's!
It means look at me I like to virtue single I keep up with the political fads so buy me lol.

Arggggh.

Was Marteen really paranoid? So much that the treasure was relocated from a warmer site ; to Conn.?

Just thoughts. Not facts or insults.
A paranoid soul leaving stone billboards? Waypoints clearly defined including admission of a plundering event?

Going up skinny water inland equals vulnerability.
One account has the buccaneers outnumbered (outgunned) by local folks.
Not a good position. Or private , with that many eyes around when looking to secret a treasure...

No mention of thier careening a ship or boat from the ship. Going inland to do that out of site of traffic during a maintenance project , maybe makes sense.
A mention of Marteen saying they'd be gone after two weeks hints of an extended project. Far more than just burying a cache ; timewise. Not that a cache couldn't be made amid the diversion of actual needed activities that made sense. Ship or boat work or resupplying ect..
Even just hunting /surveying for a spare or replacement mast if the right timber grew there at the time.

A cache should be accessible though.
An easy recovery even under pressure.
Without witnesses when cache is made. Or evidence of a cache prior to recovery.

I showed the kid a cache site of mine underfoot the other day.
No markers. No evidence. No map. No testimony regarding provenance. No witnesses.
Simple to locate. If you know where it is. I could give you brief simple instructions and you'd have it quick like and be gone. E.. Then S.E. to... Dig.

Before Dad died he told me where his ammo can cache was. I wouldn't have found it without demolishing a structure otherwise. No map. No markers. No witnesses. No record beyond my being told where it was.
I sent nephews to recover it. Only thier believing it was there kept them trying till they understood thier instructions made sense. The hidden was doubly hidden. It's slight /small location simple as far as the actual X. Touching it , not so easy.
It's all very interesting stuff 1651-1672=100+ years before revolutionary War!!

@releventchair I'm searching hard for my source info.....not sure where it went, but the buccaneers were selling to the merchants of the north east at this time, and smuggling was rampant. Apparently they were attempting to set up a base here.....this was more common in northeast to the carolinas. often these pirates were aided by the wealthy merchants ready to buy the pirate goods at half rate !! Boston, New york, Connecticut, Philadelphia, were all popular areas for the buccaneers to dump there wares, spend there money, refit there boats, and possibly settle down and retire.

Marteen was a very successful dutch....not English or French. At a certain point I know he became unwelcome in English Jamaica. Remember the Dutch also captured New York for a time before the revolutionary War. As a Dutch buccaneer he could find shelter amongst the Dutch colonists in the northeast.....its known he was there, and im certain he had a refit of "neptune" !! I think that's the same Neptune that becomes Lauren's de graffs flag ship a year or so later !! I have to read to find out.....im looking !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back