THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Good morning WD-hopes ya feeling fetter this morning
Howdy Bart-Hopes ya got some good restful sleep filled with lovely sand movement dreams.
Not many of us dream of sand movement.....but yes I do once in a while !!

I bought a book at a garage sale yesterday. I do that quite often, even though I hate reading. (OOOH, Don't through the rum bottles at me!) I can not get past the Preface. Tell me, does this sound like a place to metal detect?

It was not unusual to find reports of 4,000-8,000 people at _____________ Park on a weekend. "

I bought a book at a garage sale yesterday. I do that quite often, even though I hate reading. (OOOH, Don't through the rum bottles at me!) I can not get past the Preface. Tell me, does this sound like a place to metal detect?

It was not unusual to find reports of 4,000-8,000 people at _____________ Park on a weekend. "
Simple answer is yes....you should go there !!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained :headbang:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained :headbang:
Now let ask when did alll these folks go to the park? (Meaning what era)

Some parks stay the same some large parks have changed. What was a well used section of park, slopes, ravines is now forested as it has been let go to revert back to the natural landscape.
Dirt trails through these areas are sometimes a wealth of little treasures, off the pathways even more so.

Now let ask when did alll these folks go to the park? (Meaning what era)

Some parks stay the same some large parks have changed. What was a well used section of park, slopes, ravines is now forested as it has been let go to revert back to the natural landscape.
Dirt trails through these areas are sometimes a wealth of little treasures, off the pathways even more so.
Early 1900s - mid. And I am thinking it is a private property now. But, this is going to be investigated further. If it is owned by who I think, I may be able to get permission. Man, All this information for $1.00. Whodathunk?

Early 1900s - mid. And I am thinking it is a private property now. But, this is going to be investigated further. If it is owned by who I think, I may be able to get permission. Man, All this information for $1.00. Whodathunk?
I relish in the research WD.... Its almost as satisfying as making the finds when the research pans out.....if what your saying is true you will be rewarded with the greatest metal detecting of your life !! I would pursue that permission as priority #1.....you see its not the machine its the research.....and if you can get on a great Virgin permission like that, well then you could use any machine and make great finds !!

Good investment.
Being private is a two edged sword sometimes.
One side it limited the very possibility of it has been detected over the past 50/60 yrs.
The other side they want to do it themselves, which if it hasn't happened it never will.

Never hurts in asking for a permission, and they say sure-fill your boots all you want.
( There's always that comfort level in knowing nobody is going to give you flack for digging)
Best of luck-turn on that pirate charm.

Gotta get the place to open up earlier in the day.They have the best steamed shrimp and Super Cold Dos Equis XX,just right for breakfast :laughing7::tongue3:
010.JPG
011.JPG

Mornin all.

WD : Jump in with both feet and tell the land owner why you should allow them to have you detect!

My default is just to say I'm a detectorist by hobby and I'm always looking for something older than myself. With a slight chuckle at the end.

Why a given site can be expected to be broached by reluctant owners.
Layers of time are history , makes for an answer on old used sites.

Even if I knew an old park existed it would be more , I think there was a park around here somewhere or a picnic area or something.
If I'm wrong there won't be any evidence.

One old guy granted permission on the phone who was the informal caretaker of an old non lived in/on house/property that was built on top of an even older homestead that had burned.
He demanded half if I found a chest (or was it jar?) of gold coins .
I told him it's a deal. But I get to keep the container too!
He laughed and wished me well.

Now I had been eyeing that site a long time and no one was ever there.
Till I was detecting awhile .
A former occupant showed up (elderly gal who lived there as a youth and inherited it with a sister)and a guy with her.
She didn't know I'd had permission and once that was cleared up she showed me around and gave me a bit of history about the site. ( The outhouse spot had some concrete remaining and detecting around there turned up , nothing. (!) )
I was interested of course of her youth and the goins ons there back when, including a fire in that second house , but the nostalgia on her part was as could be expected , bittersweet.
Managed to refrain from detecting while she was there. Which wasn't hard.

Ask! But don't beg.
Mentally it's similar to as if a person where you want to detect has an old bottle on a tree limb out front. You're both interested in stuff from the past. Just that you use a detector sometimes. And the level of interest is higher when you're searching. Maybe it's the old house that you can compliment them on.

I don't like asking permission, And there's folks don't like being asked.
My goal is to put them at ease about it.
Something like ,You're welcome to join me a few minutes if there's any concern about what I'm up to . I understand a stranger wanting to poke around is not what you expected to meet today. I'd feel the same way at my place. And will respect your place the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back