THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

A setter is a hen who will hatch her eggs. A non-setter is a hen who will not hatch eggs.

The vast majority of chicken breeds will occasionally go "broody," meaning they will set their eggs and try to hatch them. However, a "setter" usually refers to a breed (or a specific hen) that frequently goes broody. Orpingtons and cochins are setters, for instance.
Thanks pepper

Thanks pepper
From the one went broody early this year she hatched 5 rooster/4 hen ratio.
So the 5 will be processed for food, the hens are laying daily now.
Hopefully I will have another 1 or 2 go broody this next spring to bump up and keep the flock refreshed.
Been a interesting hobby having them around.
Lots of work though keeping them, but rewarding as well.

Uncle:
Is that a spoon you found detecting?

:laughing7:

Hey , don't feel bad. I have a couple found spoons in the silverware drawer too. Not silver though...

(Still looking for some forks.)
Good morning all.

I have a paring knife. Now I don’t feel bad about recycling and reusing.

Apparently not, also have this one.
A Furgy!

Ford vs Furguson.
Former allies. Fergusons revolutionary three point hitch was a big improvement.
After Ford and Ferguson split up , Ford kept running the three point. Which led to lawsuit. And Ford having to recompense Furgy.
And here you are with an example of the evolution of both mens work....

Tractors interest me. Partly for thier mechanicals , but also history.
Steam engines blowing up from too much soot in the flues would have kept me using horses and mules. But the inevitable change was on the horizon.

Following WW2 , engines were proven to be able to replace draft animals.
My interests kind of peak around the era when single or team small farms were targeted for the tractor market.
The last hold outs so to speak.

1947. Following the 1936 Rural Electrification act , there was a grid. Sort of.
New York for example had a lot of T.V.'s.. Then in 47 the world series was broadcast and folks went crazy for t.v.'s.
Just as draft animals were being replaced , radios' , those former near hearth accessories and near replacement for family hearth gatherings as entertainment and news; began to gather dust.

47 Farmall Cubs were (as would competitive manufacturers downsized units) began to challenge the former champs of the small farms single or team of horses/mules.
Yesterday while adjusting shaft collars and set screws to hold the shaft in place I told the youth working with/for me the early 47's had metal peened against bearings on the p.t.o. shaft to stake them in place. Change followed.

All to say , those old lamp winders and burners found detecting (why here away from the house? Think heat source , food warming , or a dropped lamp in the dark ,or fallen off a buckboard ect.) ...The old broken radio tube in the dump site.
A horse shoe. Tack ring or collar terret .
A blade guard off an old sickle bar...

All tell of history. Industrial evolution/ revolution..
Depression era in which folks struggled and scrimped and starved....To an era when recreation could be afforded. As could conspicuous consumption of manufactured goods.
And the latest and greatest were eagerly sought by those who were not haunted by the meager past.
Though there were folks lagging behind decades. By locale , or by choice. And some , by necessity brought about by thin purses.

The evidence is there.
In layers ; in the soil.
Soil worked by hand.
By animal and human labor.
Soil worked by machines with a human operating them.

A hoe made of native materials.
A shoe that once pulled a plow made of iron with precious steel in wear areas.
A piece of jagged steel still holding a couple hand peened rivets after a boiler blew.
A wrench liberated from a tractor.

A button.
And oh what an evolution buttons have seen.

A Furgy!

Ford vs Furguson.
Former allies. Fergusons revolutionary three point hitch was a big improvement.
After Ford and Ferguson split up , Ford kept running the three point. Which led to lawsuit. And Ford having to recompense Furgy.
And here you are with an example of the evolution of both mens work....

Tractors interest me. Partly for thier mechanicals , but also history.
Steam engines blowing up from too much soot in the flues would have kept me using horses and mules. But the inevitable change was on the horizon.

Following WW2 , engines were proven to be able to replace draft animals.
My interests kind of peak around the era when single or team small farms were targeted for the tractor market.
The last hold outs so to speak.

1947. Following the 1936 Rural Electrification act , there was a grid. Sort of.
New York for example had a lot of T.V.'s.. Then in 47 the world series was broadcast and folks went crazy for t.v.'s.
Just as draft animals were being replaced , radios' , those former near hearth accessories and near replacement for family hearth gatherings as entertainment and news; began to gather dust.

47 Farmall Cubs were (as would competitive manufacturers downsized units) began to challenge the former champs of the small farms single or team of horses/mules.
Yesterday while adjusting shaft collars and set screws to hold the shaft in place I told the youth working with/for me the early 47's had metal peened against bearings on the p.t.o. shaft to stake them in place. Change followed.

All to say , those old lamp winders and burners found detecting (why here away from the house? Think heat source , food warming , or a dropped lamp in the dark ,or fallen off a buckboard ect.) ...The old broken radio tube in the dump site.
A horse shoe. Tack ring or collar terret .
A blade guard off an old sickle bar...

All tell of history. Industrial evolution/ revolution..
Depression era in which folks struggled and scrimped and starved....To an era when recreation could be afforded. As could conspicuous consumption of manufactured goods.
And the latest and greatest were eagerly sought by those who were not haunted by the meager past.
Though there were folks lagging behind decades. By locale , or by choice. And some , by necessity brought about by thin purses.

The evidence is there.
In layers ; in the soil.
Soil worked by hand.
By animal and human labor.
Soil worked by machines with a human operating them.

A hoe made of native materials.
A shoe that once pulled a plow made of iron with precious steel in wear areas.
A piece of jagged steel still holding a couple hand peened rivets after a boiler blew.
A wrench liberated from a tractor.

A button.
And oh what an evolution buttons have seen.
Thank you for all the information all neat history

IMG_20211120_092313.jpg

My Kentucky deer tag is filled. Perhaps it is time to go to PA and hunt? :D

How wasted can you get on an unopened bottle?:tongue3:

Wicked awesome band!!!

I noticed that was before the Thunder God lost his arm.

"What I've experienced through losing my arm, I wouldn't change. The human spirit is so strong."
Rick Allen[7]
On the afternoon of 31 December 1984, Allen was involved in a car crash, with his then-girlfriend Miriam Barendsen, on the A57 road in the countryside a few miles west of Sheffield.[8][9] While trying to pass another car at a high speed, he lost control of his Corvette C4, which hit a dry stone wall and entered a field; his left arm was severed. Doctors initially reattached the arm but later amputated because of infection.[10][11]Despite losing his arm, Allen soon decided to continue playing drums with Def Leppard, and adopted a specially designed electronic drum kit.[12] The band took a hiatus from onstage performances until August 16, 1986, when Allen was able to return to live drumming at the Monsters of Rock festival at Castle Donington.[13] He has since re-adopted partially acoustic drum kits depending on the setting.[14]

Congrats on filling the tag Rusty :occasion14:
Are you going get it mounted, or just the rack?
The freezer might be getting a visitor soon.

I'm getting it European mounted. So skull and antlers.

We used this guy for Burger / tenderloins / backstraps. The other deer my dad got (four pointer) was used for burger as well. Our next deer, we'll have fun with. Summer sausage with cheese and peppers, marinaded steaks, jerky, and other specialty stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back