Stopped at a sporting goods store on my way home...

You can also get a Lee pocket handloader.Everything you need for handloading small enough to fit in your pocket.I had one for my .41 magnum. Worked great.

Surely you can't be serious, RJ. My shooting buddy had one, and he dumped it after I decided we needed to get serious about ammo. I got (and still have) an RCBS Rockchucker, a massive improvement - uniform ammo, reasonable loading times, much less rejects. Had it for many thousands of shells, and it's still going pumping out precision ammo. I'm a benchrest shooter who demands precision, by the way, but I think everyone appreciates quality ammo.

I then got a RCBS Progressive. Here's a video of it:

Skip to 5:40.

I got it on sale for less than $400; It's great.

You could also look at a Dillon 650.

nice setup bum. I don't remember what the one I bought cost. I believe it was on sale for about $300. Then you need a set of dies for each caliber you want to load, a good "recipe" book, micrometer, scale, brass tumbler (like a rock tumbler for cleaning) a little device to shave brass to length and a few other little odds and ends.

Thanks Bum Luck, I'll mess around until I discover something that will work. I tried taking one lens out of reading glasses and shooting with both eyes open. I could see the target with one eye, and the sights with the other, but it sort of scrambles an already scrambled brain, and didn't work well, for me anyhow. I expect I'll never get any body part back to where it was, but old age comes on slow enough that even though accepting less might be hard, it's realistic. Trouble is, your mind says, "You can do it," but your body parts, joints, eyes, heart and extra weight all say, "No you can't," and then make you believe it even if you don't like it.:BangHead: Regarding .22 brands in the Ruger 10-22, I found CCI mini mags to be the best, with Winchester hollow points the second best, and the inexpensive Remington's suck. People brag about CCI Velociters, but I've never tried those, the mini mags have done so well.
Heck, if you think that's something. I tried shooting with no glass in my reading glasses and both eyes closed. Couldn't see squat but on semi I hit the target 4 times out of 100.:occasion14:

Surely you can't be serious, RJ. My shooting buddy had one, and he dumped it after I decided we needed to get serious about ammo. I got (and still have) an RCBS Rockchucker, a massive improvement - uniform ammo, reasonable loading times, much less rejects. Had it for many thousands of shells, and it's still going pumping out precision ammo. I'm a benchrest shooter who demands precision, by the way, but I think everyone appreciates quality ammo.

One thing,I'm not a benchrest shooter.Another thing i could carry everything that I needed in a small pack to reload 500 rounds.Theres a big difference reloading for benchrest shooting than reloading for a .41 magnum revolver.

One thing,I'm not a benchrest shooter.Another thing i could carry everything that I needed in a small pack to reload 500 rounds.Theres a big difference reloading for benchrest shooting than reloading for a .41 magnum revolver.

We were 19 when we figured this out, and weren't benchrest shooters then. Only a couple of kids that liked to shoot 44. We still shoot 44, and even cast our own bullets. I don't know why you would carry reloading stuff when you can carry bullets. Maybe if you had a better press with some production capability........... The progressives will get you your 500 rounds in minutes. Lots lighter and handier.

I know hundreds of reloaders, and none of them use the Lee. Most everyone in my gun clubs reloads. They may have a Lee somewhere under the bench they don't acknowledge in public, but they all have at least the RCBS Rockchucker. I don't know what my buddy did with his, but I never saw it again. Maybe he sold it to a kid - you?

If you envision a lifestyle on the run, then have the lightest one you can, but do yourself a favor and use a serious one for everyday loading. Just trying to help; it's out there if you want.

We were 19 when we figured this out, and weren't benchrest shooters then. Only a couple of kids that liked to shoot 44. We still shoot 44, and even cast our own bullets. I don't know why you would carry reloading stuff when you can carry bullets. Maybe if you had a better press with some production capability........... The progressives will get you your 500 rounds in minutes. Lots lighter and handier.

I didnt say i carried it,I said I COULD carry it. :laughing9:

Maybe he sold it to a kid - you?

Hate to tell you I'm far from being a kid lol.

If you envision a lifestyle on the run, then have the lightest one you can, but do yourself a favor and use a serious one for everyday loading. Just trying to help; it's out there if you want.

That was the whole idea of it.

I am looking at getting a few Lee reloaders for diffrent gauge shotguns and then a reloading kit from Hornady.

O ya I used the tannerite today with some friends, we had a great time and blew up a dead tree.

FYI, I stopped at the gander mountain on Indy's northside. all shelves were full and no rush to buy. Both handgun and rifle shelves full. I didn't check for particular kind. Is there any one kind no one can get?

.22 long rifle and 38 specials are non existent here :BangHead:

Last edited:
ok' i'll check next time down there

Thanks, would be interesting to know.

while here let me ask about some old ammo. My son got some boxes of 30 cal M2 ammo. The shells have black paint on the tips. What does that mean?

I have never come across black paint on ammo just readish varnish. I might be going to Scheels tomorrow morning ( it is another sporting goods store, just more local.) I will report back if I go.

while here let me ask about some old ammo. My son got some boxes of 30 cal M2 ammo. The shells have black paint on the tips. What does that mean?

Armor piercing. Red or orangish tip is tracer, blue tip is explosive and black is armor piercing. Instead of lead inside the copper, it is tungsten carbide and it will go through an engine block and come out the other side. When you shoot it be sure you have a good bullet stop behind the target, it will punch holes in 3/8's steel saw blade.

Blue tip is either explosive or incendiary, got myself screwed up and can't remember for sure.

I did not go but my cousin did and said most ammo was gone except shotgun and higher end ammo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back