Stopped at a sporting goods store on my way home...

These guns have open sights, so in my dottage, I can't see the open sights.

Hey, if you're far-sighted, try experimenting with reading glasses of various diopters, and see if that doesn't help. It helped me. It'll help you see the sights, which is my problem.

I'm back to where I was (shooting, anyway!) :laughing7:

Sorry, about the off-topic; lack of coffee, and really wanted to help BosnMate out.

On topic: American here.

I'm irritated that there's no 22 ammo myself. I want to try a bunch of brands out and see what shoots in my 10/22 the best. Maybe a hiundred each. Spring's about here, and what's a normal guy think about ammo hoarders? I can't post it, that's for sure.

Ya can't run a revolution on 22 shells.

Ya can plink with yer kids with 22 shells.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
A peep or ghost ring might help sighting Bosn.
Bum Luck, i hope i,m not hoarding,ammo has been an over time accumulation. Sales mainly.
I prefer a couple hundred rounds per,an inflation hedge,was not expecting shortages. Given a choice,while being picky i prefer multiple boxes out of same lot.
Subtle differences that can matter. .22 rounds in the thousands accumulative too. Have bought four boxes non.22 this year.as far as cleaning off a shelf due to shortage,that's getting a little crazy. As a side note,prior to shortages the box store i check ammo stocks has had resellers buying there quite a while. When orders are up the store that orders small amounts is not a priority it seems from what they have told me.

I purchased a used single-shot 22 a few days ago. Fires shorts, long and long rifle. I also purchased a few thousand rounds of shorts and longs. (no long rifle available) Now I can take the grandson plinking and he won't go through so much ammo. I've taken him shooting with the semi-auto before and he goes through a LOT of rounds. What's really nice about the shorts is they are sub sonic making them very quiet.
The longs were $10, including tax, for hundred round boxes of copper jacketed, 29 grain CCI's at 1215 fps. He said I was lucky, they still had the old price on them.
Someday I'm gonna count my 22LR's. I know it's over 8,000 as I've been getting them for a few years. I could make a fortune selling them. :)

Last edited:
I don't think I have been hoarding because I have bought alot over a period of years. I may have at least 300 rounds for each gun but I bought most of those last spring along with a bunch of mags. I guess I saw something like this coming.

I think alot of the ammo is just being bought up as soon as anyone who has a gun looks at it. Until this Assault rifle ban blows over or goes into effect we may not see much ammo avaliable.

I don't think I have been hoarding because I have bought alot over a period of years. I may have at least 300 rounds for each gun but I bought most of those last spring along with a bunch of mags. I guess I saw something like this coming.

I think alot of the ammo is just being bought up as soon as anyone who has a gun looks at it. Until this Assault rifle ban blows over or goes into effect we may not see much ammo avaliable.

That's not hoarding. You could go through that much in a day at the range. Granted, a good day.

I had a buddy tell me that the 22 hoarding was brought on by the prospect of a 5 cent a shell tax on ammo. I think that Chicago proposed it.

Seriously?

I know guys that bought up over 20 AR-15s, driving the price from $7-800 to over $2000.

That's hoarding.

Last edited:
Sooo getting back to the original topic and from the viewpoint of a non Rambo type little lady :laughing7: I can see why people who just want to have enough ammo are lining up in the middle of the night practically to get 22 rounds,they are so much cheaper to shoot. My husband has been setting his alarm early on the days Academy Sports gets their shipments in and so far he has been pretty lucky in at least getting a box off 22 lr. Last night I was joking him about hoarding ammo and he was kidding me about stockpiling Lee Kum Kee lemongrass sauce I've been having trouble finding.

I purchased a used single-shot 22 a few days ago. Fires shorts, long and long rifle. I also purchased a few thousand rounds of shorts and longs. (no long rifle available) Now I can take the grandson plinking and he won't go through so much ammo. I've taken him shooting with the semi-auto before and he goes through a LOT of rounds. What's really nice about the shorts is they are sub sonic making them very quiet.
The longs were $10, including tax, for hundred round boxes of copper jacketed, 29 grain CCI's at 1215 fps. He said I was lucky, they still had the old price on them.
Someday I'm gonna count my 22LR's. I know it's over 8,000 as I've been getting them for a few years. I could make a fortune selling them. :)

YEP, you COULD! Become an Entrepreneur! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

"There is no word in the French language for "Entrepreneur"! - President George Bush Sr

Hey, if you're far-sighted, try experimenting with reading glasses of various diopters, and see if that doesn't help. It helped me. It'll help you see the sights, which is my problem.

I'm back to where I was (shooting, anyway!) :laughing7:

Sorry, about the off-topic; lack of coffee, and really wanted to help BosnMate out.

On topic: American here.

I'm irritated that there's no 22 ammo myself. I want to try a bunch of brands out and see what shoots in my 10/22 the best. Maybe a hiundred each. Spring's about here, and what's a normal guy think about ammo hoarders? I can't post it, that's for sure.

Ya can't run a revolution on 22 shells.

Ya can plink with yer kids with 22 shells.

Am I missing something?

Thanks Bum Luck, I'll mess around until I discover something that will work. I tried taking one lens out of reading glasses and shooting with both eyes open. I could see the target with one eye, and the sights with the other, but it sort of scrambles an already scrambled brain, and didn't work well, for me anyhow. I expect I'll never get any body part back to where it was, but old age comes on slow enough that even though accepting less might be hard, it's realistic. Trouble is, your mind says, "You can do it," but your body parts, joints, eyes, heart and extra weight all say, "No you can't," and then make you believe it even if you don't like it.:BangHead: Regarding .22 brands in the Ruger 10-22, I found CCI mini mags to be the best, with Winchester hollow points the second best, and the inexpensive Remington's suck. People brag about CCI Velociters, but I've never tried those, the mini mags have done so well.

Arno....I went to our local Walmart this am (before 7am) to see if any ammo came in. Tada!!............they had gotten in some Winchester 9mm ball ammo, 115 grain but you could only buy 3 boxes. They were $24.47 per box of 100...Good price these days. A guy in front of me bought 3 boxes, I got 3 and that left 9 on the shelf. I called my son and he came down to buy some. Took about 10 minutes. When he got there only 3 boxes were left. That's how fast this stuff sells at decent prices.

Used to be able to purchase surplus military ammo, cheap. In the 50's the neighbor had a disc plow blade hanging from a tree for a target. We could buy the 30-06 armor piercing black tips for very little money. Had to be very little money, because that's what I had, but we bought and shot a lot of it. That plow blade had lots of holes punched right through it. Then in the 60's I had an M1 Carbine and a little more money, and 1000 rounds could be purchased for $100. We shot those up like they were .22 long rifles. Within the last 10 years I bought surplus Canadian military .30 BMG belted ammo for penny's compared to civilian ammo. Of course all that has changed, and with politics like they are now, I doubt that we will see military surplus ammunition anytime soon. Used to be able to buy M-1 Garand rifles surplus, and those were removed from the market in 64 with the first of the restrictive gun control laws, but there was a time a few years ago that a bunch of M-1's came back from Korea and were sold here. I bought one of those, then got one from the NRA civilian marksmanship program. I don't have a 5.56 rifle, but have seen surplus in that caliber just a few years ago, well, before the gulf war, but cheap ammunition doesn't look promising now, if ever again.

Just heard last night that one of the small eastern states was going to tax gun sales up to 25 percent and a 50 percent ammo tax. This is what I am scared of!

arnofarrell said:
Just heard last night that one of the small eastern states was going to tax gun sales up to 25 percent and a 50 percent ammo tax. This is what I am scared of!

Sounds like it would be time to move to a state that respects our rights, if Florida did the same I would either buy out of state and bring it in myself or move and tell the governor where he could put the state.

We all know criminals obey the laws and wouldn't do the same. I am sure they would never think to steal the money to pay the extra tax.

More stupid ideas from some liberal idiots in office....

Last edited:
Sounds like it would be time to move to a state that respects our rights, if Florida did the same I would either buy out of state and bring it in myself or move and tell the governor where he could put the state.

We all know criminals obey the laws and wouldn't do the same. I am sure they would never think to steal the money to pay the extra tax.

More stupid ideas from some liberal idiots in office....

Wonder what state(s) yer "talking about"...?

Learned my lesson a few years ago when you could not get primers,
Whenever i walked into a store since then i bought it even if not needed. Good luck fellas

Wonder what state(s) yer "talking about"...?

Smart ones that respect our rights and freedoms..... There are a lot of them, they are passing nullification laws on the gun grabs and illegal 2nd Amendment attacks......... Remember Federal governement can not force state, county or city employees to carry out Federal laws.... Supreme Court has already ruled on that issue back on the Brady Bill.......

I stopped by the gun store on my way home from the doc today, they had CCI .22 long rifles in standard velocities, and 9mm ammo, but not any 9mm target, just the self defense hollow points that sell for about a dollar each. Fifty round box of .22's was $6, that's .12 cents a shot, as opposed to the last gun show that had 500 round bricks for $85.00, which amounts .17 cents per shot. I kind of felt like $6 a box is still gouging. Before all this started it seems to me that CCI mini mags were about half that price, around $6 or so for 100 rounds, but my memory for numbers sucks, which is fine, I didn't buy any, figuring the price is still a little gowdgy (is that a word?) and left them for the guy that doesn't have any and is willing to buy high because he needs the ammunition. Besides, I'm spoiled by the mini mags, so I'll wait and get some more of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back