RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy..........my old lady is going on vacation and leaving me and the boy here all alone. Wooo hooo !!! Party time. She made us a big tray of lasagna, so all my logging crew will come and eat dinner with us tonight. My boy is 5 and this is the first time mom has left us unsupervised !! We got big plans.....fishing, logging, Dennys for dinner evrey night, and dont forget staying up late every night watching movies !! Woo hoo party time !!

Sheesh... She never makes me lasagna... :P

J.k. Bart :)

Far friggin out... please go ASAP... for I get impatient while couch detecting... I need you to post what if any finds may await you...

As to get my "fix" :P

Anyway... good job at obtaining a permission... they truly are the best fun. :)

Will do..........Also got new permission to hunt this area.From a friend who's building a new house near the battlefield :)
>> https://www.battlefields.org/learn/civil-war/lynchburg-campaign

MAybe she will bring some... lol

:P :)... oh gawd I am bad :)

heh heh heh

Damn this coffee tastes like rum.

Errr...

Wrong cup. :/

:)

Ya that sounds good RTR !! Love the 20s. Hope you get some jewelry.......always seems to be nice quality from that time era. Good luck brother......I might go take a look around too. Maybe even get wet. We blew an engine on the mag boat, but we are repowerd with a pair of 275 mercury verados now so hopefully we will get back going in the search for angel bueno

...Guess you're not accepting PM's any more? Or maybe your box is full?

Anyway, the process of drying wood is a bit more complex than you may realize. I spent 26 years heavy into woodworking, from the tree to finished product. Three weeks isn't nearly long enough to dry the wood, much less to make the furniture as well. Even a vacuum kiln is likely to take a week or two to properly dry the wood, but vacuum kilns are VERY expensive and usually have many problems.

Take a look at these two links. Neither of these covers vacuum kilns, but these are tried-and-true sources with solid info.
Drying Wood at Home | The Wood Database

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/forestry/publications/pdf_files/f-328.pdf

...Btw, had 8 teeth extracted yesterday. And unfortunately, one of the sockets isn't wanting to clot. Got 2.5 hours restless sleep night before last, but never made it to bed last night. Arg!

Sucks for you mate, hope you do not end up with open sockets, that can stink really bad. Had that back in the 90s.

No I have to clean out the PM box.

As far as drying logs or wet boards that have been cut, I do not know how long it takes. I only know how long it was after we got our stuff after getting logs. For all I know he had wood still laying around that he did not want to use until he had more.

As far as his kiln; I do not know anything about them, but considering this guys lifestyle I do not think it was expensive. Thing looked like an eight foot tall piece of culvert pipe about 30 feet long. As much culvert as we have purchased for the ranches I would not think you could do much to make that expensive at all.

Back onto your potentially dry socket, if you use chew or snuff, you may not want to for a while. I had all mine stitched up and then put a dip in, few hours later swollen and back at the doctor. Lucky for me it was an Army doctor so they are very used to seeing people do stupid things. Had dry sockets for about 10 years after, still a little open and still have to dig in there each time I brush teeth and floss.

So if I where you, I would do any thing and everything you can to prevent that from happening. It is nasty and stinky.

Ya that sounds good RTR !! Love the 20s. Hope you get some jewelry.......always seems to be nice quality from that time era. Good luck brother......I might go take a look around too. Maybe even get wet. We blew an engine on the mag boat, but we are repowerd with a pair of 275 mercury verados now so hopefully we will get back going in the search for angel bueno

***ARC stands on the corner of Barts street holding a sign made from a cardboard rum box and scribbled with a burnt stick of wood***

"WILL WORK FOR RUM AND LASAGNA"

Trust me ARCC my logging buddies have been begging for this lasagna for months........so she finally made it happen. Woo hoo !! Party time, lasagna night with the boys. The kid is excited to hang with the log crew IMG_0246.JPG. He trys hard and loves the logging!! Just wants to be part of the crew !!

Trust me ARCC my logging buddies have been begging for this lasagna for months........so she finally made it happen. Woo hoo !! Party time, lasagna night with the boys. The kid is excited to hang with the log crewView attachment 1590471. He trys hard and loves the logging!! Just wants to be part of the crew !!

Sounds great.

Spent a lot of time trying to figure out the paths the troops (both North & South) took,going to and coming out of the battle.They must of dropped something.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lynchburg

My first PhD was in Ottoman History. I have an old ledger from 1688 on trade routes and what was moved, and a book from 1665 on troop movements in Europe.

Spent four months researching and travelling the trades routes to publish something that only like 6 or 7 people would ever read. LOL

Thought it would be as easy for Troop Movements since it was written by the General him self; yeah not so much, not one place showed any evidence at all. 6 months GPR and MDing and found nothing Ottoman related.

Trade routes and stops made, safe places of passage, evening stay overs or weather protection; all 100% perfect found tons with an MD and never once thought of the need for a GPR.

So good luck to you, the research can suck pretty bad, but when it is spot on it is great.

Maybe you guys can help.I've read conflicting reports on how the civil war troops were paid ?
Anyone know ?
1) were they paid in paper money.
2) or, paid in coins ?

Union privates were paid $13 per month until after the final raise of 20 June '64, when they got $16. In the infantry and artillery, officer was as follows at the start of the war: colonels, $212; lieutenant colonels, $181; majors, $169; captains, $115.50; first lieutenants, $105.50; and second lieutenants, $105.50. Other line and staff officers drew an average of about $15 per month more. Pay for one, two, and three star generals was $315, $457, and $758, respectively.
The Confederate pay structure was modeled after that of the US Army. Privates continued to be paid at the prewar rate of $11 per month until June '64, when the pay of all enlisted men was raised $7 per month. Confederate officer's pay was a few dollars lower than that of the their Union counterparts. A Southern B.G for example, drew $301 instead of $315 per month; Confederate colonels of the infantry received $195, and those of artillery, engineers, and cavalry go $210. While the inflation of Confederate Money reduced the actual value of a Southerner's military pay, this was somewhat counterbalanced by the fact that promotion policies in the South were more liberal.
As for the pay of noncommissioned officers, when Southern privates were making $11 per month, corporals were making $13, "buck" sergeants $17, first sergeants $20, and engineer sergeants were drawing $34. About the same ratio existed in the Northern army between the pay of privates and noncommissioned officers.
Soldiers were supposed to be paid every two months in the field, but they were fortunate if they got their pay at four-month intervals (in the Union Army) and authentic instances are recorded where they went six and eight months. Payment in the Confederate Army was even slower and less regular.
Source: "The Civil War Dictionary" by Mark M. Boatner

Soldiers could send money home through the Allotment system.The soldier signed a roll designating the payee and the amount to be paid.The roll was endorsed by his company commander and forwarded to the State treasury which sent it to the soldier's town or city.A local official notified the payee of the allotment.At the time of enrolling, tickets were issued to the soldier,which he mailed to the payee. The payee presented the ticket when he was notified by the town official.(Extracted from article by William R.Moffatt, copyright 2000 by The Cincinnati Civil War Round Table) The heirs of your ancestor,because he died during service,were entitled to all arrears of pay & allowances plus a payment of $100.(Official Records,Serial # 122,PP.153-154) Pay was due every two months but as you say this was rarely adhered to

Regulations in both armies stated that soldiers would receive pay on the last day of even numbered months (Feb, April, June, etc) for that month and the proceeding month. For example: on August 31 they would be paid for July and August. Sometimes it worked that way. On June 30, 1863, a number of regiments of the Army of the Potomac paused on their march north through Maryland to Gettysburg to receive pay. Very often the paymaster was late, as shown by the pay record of the 97th Pa. Inf.
They were mustered in in September, 1861, at West Chester, Pa. and received pay on:
March 12, 1862, for September - December, 1861
April 18, 1862, for January - February, 1862
April 30, 1862, for March - April, 1862 (The only time in 3 years they were paid according to regulations).
September 15, 1862, for May - June, 1862
February 11, 1863, for September - December, 1862
April 21, 1863, for January - February, 1863
June 23, 1863, for March - April, 1863
July 21, 1863, for May - June, 1863
September 26, 1863, for July - August, 1863
December 8, 1863, for September - October, 1863
February 19, 1864, for November - December, 1863
April 18, 1864, for January - February, 1864
September 1, 1864, for March - June, 1864
They mustered out at West Chester in late September and received all pay owed them.

September 9,1861-"...the Treasury Department-to meet future payments to the troops-is about to supply, besides coin, as heretofore, Treasury notes, in fives, tens, and twenties, as good as gold at all banks and government offices throughout the United States, and most convenient for transmission by mail from officers and men to their families at home." February 27, 1862 the Legal Tender Act was signed into law by President Lincoln, authorizing the Treasury Department to issue "greenbacks." Legal tender notes were backed by the full faith of the US Government but had no gold or silver backing. 1863-64 some soldiers subscribed to the 7/30 Government bonds in lieu of cash payment.By September 1, 1864, pay due every sixty days to military forces was $50,000,000.

Hope this sums the question up with a history lesson to boot.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back