found tip possible location of "missing " union patrol from civil war (update)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
found tip possible location of "missing " union patrol from civil war (update)

while chatting with a local fellow doing a bit of research on a confederate camp site area in my area -- the person spoke of a "missing" union unit --a white officer commanding a small foot patrol unit of black soldiers ( said to be between 30 to 50 men) -- these men ran into a much larger rebel unit and got "boxed in" refusing to surrender ( the white officer was killed early on in the fight and it seems the black troops feared being hanged if they surrendered as this was wide spread belief --true or not --that this would occur if the black troops were caught by southern troops) so they fought to the death to the last man. -- after the fight for them refusing to surrender and thus forcing additional fighting which caused some additional maiming and killing of some of the southern soldiers (several more than if they had just surrendered when asked to )-- the angry southern soldiers piled their bodies in a heap and burnt them in revenge . --- the man who told me said his grandmother told him of it as a child --and said that she knew because it was upon her great grandpa's land (who was alive at the time * and told her as a kid) he was there when the event occured in the civil war -I have also found out from the man I spoke to that according to him no union troops ever came in the area to "look" for the "lost union patrol". so upon that bit of land is the burnt remains of between 30 to 50 men of the "lost patrol"-- I hope to attempt to find their remains ( if I can get land owner ok) and have them properly honored if I can.

later note ****this is freakish -- after completing the above post --I felt "compelled" to go see if this possible "site" had been developed or not --at 1 am in the morning mind you and its a fair bit from home --got in the car drove down there a sort of a remote area -- after seeing the spot -- I could have returned the way I came or take the long way around -- the was a small creek a bit down the other long road way --very possibly were the lost patrol got pinned in at --so I go that way -- as I approach it , it appears somethings in the road --the night fog was coming in but the image of something snaps me to --in the fog is a totally wrecked car with someone in it still --the car is still steaming and leaking gas --it had to have just occurred- I help the driver out ---the driver is muttering I thought I saw something in the road so I swerved -- its clear to see he went off the curve by the bridge --hitting trees with his passenger side which spun his car back on the road -- totally fubar ed-- the 20ish something kids beat up and bleeding but lucky to be alive --all he can do is cry "my car" over and over --silly kid -- hes standing by the car in the road even after I told him it might blow stay away from it -- then a huge dually type pick up comes flying like a bat outta --- down the road right at the no lights on wreck with the kid between the two --I flash my brights up and down several times to alert the oncoming truck --he pays no mind -- only at the last second does he see it and slam on brakes --close call--if I had not alerted him he would have plowed right into it kid wreck and leaking gas and all --boom. -- you know the "lost patrol" bodies was burnt to a crisp.-- this is freaky indeed. === the dually truck never even stopped just went around us on the berm "rolled on"

Upvote 0
Re: found tip possible location of "missing " union patrol from civil war (update)

I agree it was/is controversial, here is another link to several official reports.

http://www.civilwarhome.com/learning.htm

I have read through about 1/2 of them and so far no mention of burning the dead bodies of soldiers but there is no doubt in my mind that it was a horrendous fight with questionable tactics.

Charlie

Re: found tip possible location of "missing " union patrol from civil war (update)

My point is that the story Ivan heard could very possibly have some truth to it. I don't know whether I want him to find it or not, what a horrible thing to see even after 150 years.

Charlie

http://www.civilwarhome.com/learning.htm

In conclusion, it may not be altogether improper to state that I was one of the number wounded, at first considered mortally, after the surrender; and but. for the aid soon afterward extended to me by a Confederate captain, who was a member of an order to which I belong (Free Masonry), I would in all probability have shared the fate of many of my comrades who were murdered after having been wounded. This captain had me carried into a small shanty, where he gave me some brandy and water. He was soon ordered to his company, and I was carried by the rebels into the barracks which they had occupied during the most of the engagement. Here had been collected a great number of our wounded, some of whom had already died. Early the next morning these barracks were set on fire by order of a rebel officer, who had been informed that they contained Federal wounded. I was rendered entirely helpless from the nature of my wound, the ball having entered my right side, and ranging downward, grazed my lung. and deeply imbedded itself in my nip (where it still remains) out of easy reach of surgical instruments. In this condition I had almost given up every hope of being saved from a horrible death, when one of my own men, who was less severely wounded than myself, succeeded m drawing me out of the building, which the flames were then rapidly consuming.
As to the course our Government should pursue in regard to the outrages perpetrated by the rebels on this as well as on a number of occasions during the existing rebellion, I have only to express my belief that some sort of retaliation should be adopted as the surest method of preventing a recurrence of the fiendish barbarities practiced on the defenders of our flag at Fort Pillow.

I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant.
MACK J. LEAMING,
Lieut. and Adjt. 14th Tennessee Vol. Cav., late 13th Regt.

I guess it was mentioned in an official report

for what "rough info" I 've been able to gather * the" event" appears to have occured after the battle of Olustee ( feb of 1864) as the union troops were retreating toward baldwin / jacksonville area during the night from the battle of Olustee in disarray -- a small detachment ( 30 to 50 black infantry soldiers) got lost or forced away from the main body of the union retreat * --and got trapped and "pinned down" (on or very near the Elijah Higginbotham farm) by confederate calvary after being unwilling to surrender when asked to several times by them ( of course after seeing the type of treatment given other black troops at the battle of Olustee who had tried to "surrender or were left wounded on the feild"-- this is quite understandible)

SWR ---the point of posting the info on the "later" callahan raid that occured July 17th of 1864 (is not to "disprove the story" but rather bloster it) its was posted only to link the fact that the man who told me the story had direct family links to the area in question and that the union"raided" the horses of his kinfolk ( Elijah Higginbotham * was a confederate supplier of horses and also his farm was a rest and rehab farm for them a well)- it is at the old "Elijah Higginbotham" farm where the event is said too have occured at *

why would a man who is proud of his family southern military service (and he is)with several kinfolk in both sides of his blood line in the confederate army -- tell such a horrible tale upon fellow confederate troopers of doing such a horrorible deed? ---this would be unthinkible in my veiw---- unless of course its true and offended the families sense of "honor" and justice. -- while war is war --some things just aren't right --to kill a enemy in battle is one thing -- however mistreat their bodies afterwards --is not honorible in most everyones view.

Re: found tip possible location of "missing " union patrol from civil war (updat

Go with your gut, Ivan. And good luck. If you assemble a team to hunt your location, I'd be honored to join in (I'm in Orlando with lots of free time).
Don't fear the naysayers - just imagine where we would be if we only believed in "written accounts" of anything.

well currently I trying to nail down a more exact location of the old "Elijah Hogginbotham"* farm site during the civil war era -- while I have a "general area" --its vast-- way too big to hunt and get oks for -- I need to refine the area much more to be able to what I view is a real shot at finding the location ---normal land records are not going to be much help in this case --the great jacksonville. fla fire of 1901 wiped up most land deed records before then making checking up on it by old land deeds impossible --so I going to have to depend on old "grumpy" Higginbotham -- the old family "memory keeper" as the man who told me the story calls em --he said he would ask him what if anything he can remember related to this "story" --the guys older than dirt I understand .

everyone is entitled to their own view point *-- right or wrong -- in anothers eyes --I think the story has a good possibility of being true --you do not -- so it is very clear to me that we have "polar opposite" veiw points --- sort of like + and - , yes and no , light and dark.

fine exsample -- I find a historical referance to "elijah higginbotham" -- the mans kin who was a confederate horse farmer that ran a " horse holding and rehab" place for the local confederate calvary units mounts upon the family farm ( and upon whos farm the earlier "event" * was said to occur around the time of the retreat from the battle of Olustee in feb of 1864) --whos farm was later raided and who's horses were taken by union troops ( the july 17th 1864 raid upon callahan) you grab this bit of info on the raid of july 17th ,1864 saying --yep that proves the earlier "event" did not occur -- where I veiw this as backing up the mans story . -- #1that his kins men was indeed backing the southern cause #2 --did have a horse farm #3 was logically therefore supplying mounts to local confederate calvary forces #4 of which there were 3 cousins in service -- in 1st florida calvary company B -- (3 men all "higgenbotham") the family has two "branches" --higginbotham and higgenbotham --spelt both ways but all kinfolk .-- I see these facts as a + you as a - each to their on veiw point.

yes I will check as far into this as I can * -- the story if true needs to be solved .
and I can not for the life of me think of why a man whos family background has several confederate calvary soldiers in it (elijah higginbotham , 3 other higgenbothams , several braddock and jone thru later post war marriages-- note these kin folk are all listed in the documented civil war musters of the 1st florida calvary unit availible online.) which hes very proud of -- why would he tell such a dark and ugly and shameful tale about other confederate calvary troops doing such a deed.-- unless there is some basis of truth in it. --
but as I say thats just MY point of veiw.

SWR said:
...I believe the media over exaggerated these issues.

This is a HUGE problem when doing research. Lots of things made it into the media, blowing things way out of proportion all for the sake of selling more prints.

the documentation that you ask for is in the records * ---the union records show 506 union soldiers * MIA ---while gen finegan battle report of feb 26th , 1864 **only accounts for 418 union wounded taken prisoner --- a differance of 88 men still MIA unaccounted for * these man could easily be the 30 to 50 man group in the story --finegan speaks of a rapid and disorderly retreat during the night by union troops toward jacksonville --exactly the type of thing that could lead to a small band being lost or cut off from the main body during the night.

** finegans report of feb 26th , 1864 -- source -- the war of the rebellion -a compilation of the records of the union and confederate armies , series I , part 1 --pages 308 - 330

of the unwillingness of the small band to surrender due to fears of being killed * -- see the sept 25th letter by union gen E A Hitchcock- --the small number of black union prisoners taken was highly noticible* as it is well known many black wounded were left on the feild * -- the fact had came to light that ga regulars and vollenteers of colquitt's brigade went on the feild killing wounded colored soldiers. -- his letter urges that the matter be"looked into" since several of the members of that command were taken as prisoners.

worthy of note : in colquitts report of the battle * dated feb 26th , 1864 --it was noted that he instructed his calvary to "close follow " the retreating union forces and take every opportunity to strike a favorible blow * -- ----(Ie dog em and kill em if given the chance )-- since it was men under "colquitts's" command who were the ones blamed for the killing of the wounded black troops on the feild at Olustee *(there was a bad shortage of confederate medical supplies at the time and they wanted to insure it was used for white confederate wounded soldiers so they shot the black wounded union soldiers rather than see them get treated using up "their"confederate medical supplies -that and rasist hate of the north using their former "slaves" to beat the south enraged the southern troops)-the large numbers of wounded soldiers over whelmed all the local hospitals --- with that commands past misdeeds in mind similar behavior from his calvary troops would not be suprizing if they caught up with a small deteachment that refused to surrender.

I never said it was major fox and his men that were killed ***-- I only used the july 17th 1864 raid to show that "elijah higginbothams" horses were taken by union troops at the time ( which was 5 months after the battle of olustee which occured in feb * the raid occured in july*) ---

the reason for refering to the "raid" at all was to note elijah higginbotham* who is the direct boold kin of the story teller ( elijah higginbotham was a confederate "horse wrangler" --his farm was used to rest and rehab wore out confederate calvary mounts)--- it was at higginbothams farm that the earlier event took place *after the battle of olustee in feb.--- info from the july 17th raid report of 5 month later shows that the union forces took horses from his farm -- thus proving he had horses at his farm backing up the family story that he was a supplier of horse to connfederate forces --- about the story *****it appears to me that some of colquitts calvary after the battle of olustee -- which he order to follow closely the retreating union forsces and strike them--chased down a small detachment of retreating black soldiers who got lost or broken away from the main bosy of the union forces --they refused to surrender --this enraged the calvary as several of them were hurt / killed during the fighting after surrender was offered --so the black soldiers were totally wiped out -- also in revenge for them not surrendering as they should have and causing several needless southern injuries / deaths afterwards by restistingthe confederate calvary troops stacked and burnt their bodies.

yes --- elijah higginbothams "horse" farm is the place that the "event" was reported to have occured at. -- colquitts rebel calvary might have been headed there for "fresh mounts" or to check up on the farm as they were coming from the battle of Olustee and ran across the lost small union detachment of black infantry --or esle the confederate calvary might have broke them away from the unions main body as they retreated during the night and hounded them into the spot on / by the farm -- no fully sure which way it happened yet ( however since the farm is known as a confederate calvary horse supply spot and had been behind "enemy" lines when the union forces had advanced toward lake city coming out of jacksonville * going towards Olustee -- the confederate forces checking up on the farm / supply spot makes good common sense to me.)

ok see trout creek were its marked? it turns in to a small long creek and crosses the main callahan to jacksonville road (a dark line on your map --known then as "the kings highway" the northern road out of jacksonville running towards folkston ,ga at the time -- roughly modern us 1 's path *--- the farm was on the left hand side -- near where then area of the small arm of trout creek is roughly at . -- that area is where jones road meets with garden on a modern map

if black union foot troops coming out of baldwin were cut away from the body and forced / driven in a north east direction by colquitts confederate calvary -- they would run into the small "feeder" arms of the trout river ( around the modern--- jones / garden street rough area on todays maps ) -- the foot soldiers could not ford these creeks without risking getting the rifles and powder wet -- thus basically making them defenseless --so they would be "pinned down" unable to cross the creeks for fear of getting wet -- all they could do was hunker down and fight --and hope and pray for union help to come along ( they were too far away from the main body for that to happen) or to somehow try to "break out" and get away --vs horse mounted confederate troops however -- there was no real hope of that happening either.

"kings highway" aka as US1 todayruns thru jacksonville --- it was a main drag type of road during the civil war era -- running northward to folkston ,ga thru several small towns in northeast florida (callahan is one of them --callahans importance in the civil war was it was where the north / south running " kings highway road" ran across the east /westtrain track route that ran from fernadina to baldwin ( there was a train station and telegraph station here as well as supplies **)--- baldwin was highly important since it linked the train track routefrom east (fernandina) / west (cedar key) running routes to the north( many places) / south ( jacksonville)running lines one of which ran south thru camp milton and into jacksonville proper --

theres a triangle here -- look at the map from 1864 * callahan to jacksonville is roughly modern US 1 * --- callahan to baldwin is roughly highway 301*---- baldwin to jacksonville is roughly highway 90

SEE WHERE THE BLACK DOT IS * the two small creeks on the left are feeder arm creeks part of "trout river" the elijah higginbotham farm was in the area by them * if you draw a line from baldwin to where the black dot is at thats thats their direction of their route of travel once attacked but it stops at the area where the feeder creeks are at ( higginbothams farm) short of where the dots at .

their blue line "retreat route"--- I think of ran something like this remember it was going on night fall as the retreat began --- Olustee from the battlefeild toward sanderson --- sanderson toward barbers --- barbers toward baldwin --- right after leaving baldwin * while headed towards jacksonville however they were attacked and chased by confederate calvary off the main retreat route and driven upwards in a North Easterly direction towards the small feeder creeks area of trout river --(where elijah higginbothams farm was at) and where they got "pinned down" and wiped out at --- note *** this area is close to jones and garden meet in a "T" on a modern day map ---thus these black infantry soldiers never got back to jacksonville at all --- because if they had they would have been "accounted" for in the post battle musters and not be MIA'S

the "modern" roads I spoke of --- is to try to show on modern maps were the main drag roads were back then .

both callahan and baldwin were important in the civil war as rail road towns --callahan be cause it was where "kings road" running from south (jacksonville) to north (folkston,ga) crossed the train tracks that ran from fernandina (east) to to baldwin (west) as such it was important

baldwin was a major rail hub * --connecting (western) cedar key tracks to eastern running tracks callahan / fernandina) -- it also had tracks that linked southward to camp milton and into jacksonville proper ---as well as to lake city (those tracks ran right by the olustee battle site and the confederate rail gun was on them that was used in the battle )

ah but read what colquitt wrote on feb 26th , 1864 --- his calvary chased the for several miles but night fall brought a end to fighting --" qoute" from his report --- "instructions WERE given to the calvary to close follow the enemy and seize every opportunity to strike a favorible blow."

note -- I think these "lost men" might be from the 1st north carolina ( a green bunch of black infantry troops that had never saw action before ) there losses are listed as 199 enlisted and 10 officers --

according to a account recorded long after the battle on jan 17th ,1929 * by a very old civil war vetern --lawrence jackson --confederate 2nd fla calvary company "c"

its part of the memory of a man who was there - from 2nd fla calvary company "c" - that they got to baldwin --the day after the battle at sun up - the tail end of the union column had just left town in his account they caught up with the tail end wagons and took the troops prisoner at "harts" farm
so there was some action that occured during the retreat * so at least some of the confederate calvary did catch up with the retreating union units * before they got back to jacksonville --might another group of confederate calvary have caught up with & chased down the missing foot soldiers if they were traveling in the rear of the column ** its possible I think**** of course due to what occured no one would say much about it, however. ( i'm thinking they might be from the 1st north carolina group --199 & 10 officers listed as "losses") as per col james montgomery's report

the reason I speak of it is -two fold the confederate troopers must have chased after the union troops to be in baldwin --it was noted that 2 companies did go out after the union troops in the night --- but not all of the calvary did --there was hell to pay for that blunder ****
I speak of this only to show that they (some of the rebel calvary forces) caught up with some of the retreating union forces between baldwin and jacksonville * this is the point , I'm getting at . -- the old timers mind might be fuzzy as to the proper exact dates upon when it occured but his general story fits my theory of how the events of the "lost partol" might have occured.

read capt skinners report --he says he set fire to the town and left following the rail road tracks coming upon 3 rail cars one with boxes of hard bread (hard tack) on it still that they pushed 3 miles --the confederate old timer reports that the town was burning as they came in and of them finding hard tack bread along the tracks as they chased the union troops . --the old boy wasn't totally daft it seems.

Wouldn't a beers map be helpful to show the location of Higginbothams farm? It should be marked...especially if his family owned it up until at least the turn of the century...Ill see if there is one on-line

you were near the general area some what . -- upon more checking with the story teller --it seems that madison higgenbotham (sgt) and james h higgenbotham listed in 1st florida calvary company B --were "elijah higginbotham" --brothers !!! so their names are either miss spelled by the enroller or they used a varient spelling at the time , it seems that while the others went to war -- elijah was used to stay put and tend the confederates calvary horses upon the family farm -- since he was working for the confederate cause by tend the confederate horses he was in effect still in the military "offically"--( by law *all males 18 to 45 were drafted)--- however once the July 17th , 1864 raid occured the horses were gone (taken by union troops )--so he was then taken in as a regular infantry foot soldier and fought up north --being paroled in NC at wars end.

the event was supposed to have occured --as the union troops were retreating from olustee towards jacksonville * ( feb 1864)-- a detachment of confederate calvary is said to have caught up with the rear guard or stragglers --black union infantry -- they chased and pinned the down --refusing to surrender (the black union troops feared being killed if the surrendered) they were wiped out . -- the rebels had offered to allow them to surrender --but they replied your word of honor means nothing to us * thus insulting the rebels -- in return afterwards --the rebel calvarymen burnt the union black infantrymens bodies rather than properly burying them .

I have noticed that the old civil war era rail road line ( currently called the "rails to trails" bike path ) crosses --jones road * a bit down the road -- could this be the path that they fled upon ?-- it reported that wagons were carrying wounded union soldiers * in the very rear of the retreat out off baldwin * could this be where the union soldiers came from ? and its reported that calvary troops were hot after the rear guard chasing union troops as they left baldwin ,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back