Do the Stone Tablets lead to somewhere OTHER than the Superstition Mtns?

Anyone who actually is interested in travelling to Spirit Mountain and checking out the sights for them selves, should be sure to stop at the Colorado River Museum. It's located on the northwest corner of the intersection of AZ Hwy 95 and NV Hwy 163. (The Laughlin Bridge.) There you will find much about the history of Cptn William H Hardy and Hardyville, now Bullhead City. Hardy had a stamp mill, a general store, a toll road to Prescott as well as a ferry crossing. There was much activity here. He was also territorial legislator for several terms. There's so much history to this area that has been forgotten. NP

SC:

More interesting than you could ever imagine !
Like I've been saying, everything that's on the stones is in the sups.
And everything that is shown on the two trail stones is also positioned upon the area of the H/P Stone in such a manner as to show an unusual degree of intelligence IMO. I suspect the execution of all of this to have taken a great length of time and so, it seems, an inordinate amount of planning. With not one, but two priests (the stone shows a composite of both), and four hearts (three large and one small), it must have been a complex undertaking.
But it's not only the four stones, but also the Stone Crosses which are embedded within the same relatively compact area.
Take another look at this shot.
From left to right...1751..the priest (#2)....the "R"....and below the "R" ..a heart.

View attachment priest R heart.bmp

And compare with what is at the top of the Map Cross.

View attachment RHeart Cross.bmp

This is only one of the matches I have found.
Whoever made the crosses had used the same location, IMO.
And for the same purpose.

But is there anything else ?

View attachment RX.bmp

A small detail, another X or cross.
But it's there.

Regards:SH.

Last edited:
This is the heart which is found at the base of the larger priest.
On the stone it has a 4 carved in the middle.
I'll get a better photo,straight on, next time I'm there.

View attachment 774594

Any one who has taken the time to come to a forum like this already knows the basic "facts" of the story of the "Lost Dutchman" mine and his directions to the mine. I believe that within many treasure stories there is actually ONE true story. The facts will lead you there.
FACT: A man named Jake , who they called "the Dutchman" was in Hardyville.
Cpt. William H Hardy says in his accounts about the era that he met a German named Jake, who was called "the Dutchman".
There is a local legond regarding a mine with a very rich gold bearing quartz vein in the Spirit Mtn wilderness. Hardy had a map to a such a mine and sent a company of men to search for it in the Spirit Mountains. The first major point on the map was a diamond shaped peak. His party crossed the Colorado River to the west and never returned and were presumed dead. Their intended direction was into the Spirit Mountains.
If you want to follow the directions given by the "Dutchman", I believe the best place to start is Grapevine Canyon.
Because I have certain information that has never been presented together about the German named Jake, who was called the "Dutchman", who was in the company of William H Hardy in Hardyville, and elsewhere: my question is: WHO exactly was the man "they" called Jacob Waltz, "the Dutchman" in the story of the "Lost Dutchman's" mine? No one ever saw him do any mining, let alone GO INTO the Superstition Mtns. He just showed up with some gold bearing quartz.
Again, my question is, if you research all the documents published over the years with Jacob waltzs name on them, why don't the signatures match starting from California to Arizona?
Just like the stone tablets, the "Dutchman" never actually mentions the Superstition Mtns---that just happens to be where the "legend" began. Not necessarily where the story starts.
NP

NP,

"Books Of The Southwest" is a great source for such things.

Fact is, just about every German in the country was called "Dutch".....Jake or whatever. Your "fact" shows a decided lack of research into Arizona history. You have taken a short bit about someone called "Dutch Jake" and turned it into "fact" that Jacob Waltz was that man. There were many, many Dutch Jakes.

What year do you think Jacob Waltz was with Hardy?

You're just kidding about the signatures.......right?:dontknow:

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:
Spirit Mountain is in the southeast tip of Nevada just west of the colorado river. Use Laughlin NV for your starting point on Google Earth, to NW and start looking for markers for Grapevine Canyon as you zoom in. It's right across the Colorado River from Arizona.
PS: to CASCA this is NOT Death Valley! Death Valley is much farther west and is in California.
NP

Thank You np.

NP,

"What year do you think Jacob Waltz was with Hardy?"

Are you having a hard time Googling the answer?

Do you know what year Waltz signed claim papers on his placer claim?

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

i beleive you have your facts wrong, if you would bother doing your arizona research into how many germans at the dutchman's time period in arizona that were miners, that were called the dutchman then you would have an honest answer.
im talking about all the papers the dutchman ever signed "ALL" the signatures are not the same and DO NOT MATCH, including the petition he signed for Hardy requesting government protection from the indians.
do you mean when was the man they called the dutchman that was with hardy, do you mean when he was alive or when he died? take your pick, that's how good your research is.
do your own AZ research and quit insulting other's and stop being somebody's elses errand boy
np

Last edited:
i beleive you have your facts wrong, if you would bother doing your arizona research into how many germans at the dutchman's time period in arizona that were miners, that were called the dutchman then you would have an honest answer.
im talking about all the papers the dutchman ever signed "ALL" the signatures are not the same and DO NOT MATCH, including the petition he signed for Hardy requesting government protection from the indians.
do you mean when was the man they called the dutchman that was with hardy, do you mean when he was alive or when he died? take your pick, that's how good your research is.
do your own AZ research and quit insulting other's and stop being somebody's elses errand boy
np

NP,

I have forgotten more about Arizona history than you will ever learn.

Nowhere in the letter written by Capt. Hardy, does he mention that "Dutch Jake" was a miner. The events that included the killing of "Dutch Jake" took place in Sept. of 1866. The man you believe was Jacob Waltz had no future mining or history in Arizona.

"im talking about all the papers the dutchman ever signed "ALL" the signatures are not the same and DO NOT MATCH, including the petition he signed for Hardy requesting government protection from the indians."

Which petition are you referring to?

Joe Ribaudo

if you have forgotten more about arizona history than i will everknow ,why have you not found anything, i suppose now that your so smart you dont even have to look any more ,you can just stay on the computer and argue with every one because you know more than any one else. if you were my researcher i would fire you in a heart beat, you should read tea leaves or something else ,there are no experts on these subjects,that may be a shock to some one of your so called knowledge,maybe if you look hard enough you will find your self,i have no idea what your talking about some one named dutch jake being killed in sept,of 1866. and yes i said if you look at all the documents signed by jacob waltz all the signatures do not match,and iwill repeat what i said before if you dont like my theory dont pay any attention to it,dont let it bother you, go do something else ,have a nice day np

cactusjumper i bet you cant even tell me why the heart stone has a crack in it,

NP,

"if you dont like my theory dont pay any attention to it,dont let it bother you, go do something else ,have a nice day"

What happened to "FACT"?

It's not that I like or dislike your theories, what I dislike is people who try to establish new history....on hunches. Others make the attempt with nothing more than outright lies and phony artifacts. The dates are not important to you, because the real hisorical documents expose the truth about your theories.

You theorize that I never found anything in the Superstitions. That's a good bet, but only another of your hunches.

Why don't you tell us just two (2) of Waltz's signatures that you don't believe match?

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:
Not Peralta

You have a map or clues about Spirit Mountain without the stone tablets ? If you want , I would like to hear the story from the beginning . Arizona is a "movie " about treasures with many episodes .

I liked your observation about Waltzs signatures .

Marius

Last edited:
cactusjumper i bet you cant even tell me why the heart stone has a crack in it,

Hey Joe....remember this ?
It's the smallest of the "4" hearts indicated at the bottom of the big priest (#1).
But it's the only one that he is pointing to.
And that lump on the right hand lobe ?
Well, it's pointing up at that big heart-shaped mound of rocks and gravel that also had the white "P" on it.

View attachment heartslash detail.bmp

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to levitate myself for a good photo of the "P" on the largest (170' x 114' approx x 25' high) heart.
And this is where one of those UAV's with a camera would work well.
But here is how it looks in a G/E crop. The "P" is in the box.

View attachment Bigheart P.bmp

NP:
Some think the heart was accidentally dropped at some point in the past, and glued back together.
Others, like Jim Hatt thought it was broken while being carved, and glued by the maker.
I suspect the crack is there because of the one across the smallest heart in my photo.
That it may have been originally a carved line across the heart, which broke at some later date, not necessarily after Tumlinson found it.

What is your idea ?

Wayne,

I have heard the story that a worker at the museum was cleaning/dusting the Stone Maps and dropped the heart onto the floor, breaking it. Roger stated when he examined the originals, that the break followed a natural fault line in the stone.

I do remember the pictures.

Take care,

Joe

cactusjumper,
First of all Hardyville was a town built by William H Hardy before Prescott was established. Prescott came several months later. W H Hardy started a toll road to Prescott because he also had interest in shipping and merchantile there.
As far as your question regarding when the "Dutchman" started his mining claims, every "Dutch-hunter" should know this:
1863 The Gross Load with partners
1864 The Big Rebel Load with partners
1865 The General Grant with partners

CONSPIRACY?

William H Hardy, because he had the toll road and did business with all the minors in the area, started a petition to John N Goodwin, Governor. The petition requested protection for the minors and travelers of the toll road due to all the indian attacks. Jacob Waltz signed this petition. NP

Last edited:
As far as the crack in the heart stone goes: I was told that the tablets were taken to Bob Ward's house, since he was the closest. The guy that found them wanted to clean them up. One of the children fooling with the heart stone dropped it. It was glued back together after it was cleaned. That's the story that I got from Bob Ward, personally. Bear in mind that while Bob did have his faults, he was a personal friend of mine, as well as Bambi. I'm somewhat glad that Bambi doesn't remember those times. Bob's is the only "Dutchman" and stone tablet book I keep in the house. NP

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back