Watch this space?

Here is a good example of a British "notated" map...
Notice Lord Nelsons track... and others.

1814_Thomson_Map_of_the_Atlantic_Ocean_-_Geographicus_-_Atlantic-t-1814.jpg

And any that look like this ... lol :P
This is Whydah's location...

Uida_mapa.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it is... and a fav of mine.
IMO... a map is just a map if it contains nothing more than a similiar map...
The "lure" for me on a map...Are the "details"... the info... not the drawing of the land mass itself...

Notations... tell a story...OR stories.
MArks... notations... routes... etc.

These are the maps that are desired by me the most... and what I seek.

aye it be marks and notes on a sea chart that tells the tale in many cases --but always be aware of the "untold" clues --like the names of things and places -- things often are called a certain name for a reason .... shipwreck key , deadmans cay , ect ect --don't over look such subtle clues -- sometimes there is no simple "x" marks the spot --if it was that easy all of the known wrecksite booty would be found by now.......many times one must match up data from archives about ship losses with maps of the area shortly afterwards and before to see if there are any minor "differences"--like a 1700 map that differs from a 1728 map --when looking for a 1715 vessel -- different marks on the older map that doesn't jive with the earlier map --- the maps most often do not say --silver or gold lies here "x"...

once while metal detecting looking for a confederate camp (camp finegan) that had 4 minor camp sites with a couple mile area * a headquarters area --a calvary area -- infantry area --and a artillery area

I knew that the confederate headquarters was next to a still used set of train tracks from a old civil war era map * I also knew that the confederate headquarters had a set of 2 cannons that pointed down tracks to prevent a union surprize attack by rail -- just a short bit from headquarters area and the tracks was "cannon street"---humm

Last edited:
aye it be marks and notes on a sea chart that tells the tale in many cases --but always be aware of the "untold" clues --like the names of things and places -- things often are called a certain name for a reason .... shipwreck key , deadmans cay , ect ect --don't over look such subtle clues -- sometimes there is no simple "x" marks the spot --if it was that easy all of the known wrecksite booty would be found by now.......many times one must match up data from achives about ship losses with maps of the area shortly afterwards and before to see if there are any minor "differences"
Thanks Ivan. BVI, you might want to see if you can find an old wreck chart, off of Spanish Point for that Island above where the Privateer is that I sent you the information on. You never know.

aye it be marks and notes on a sea chart that tells the tale in many cases --but always be aware of the "untold" clues --like the names of things and places -- things often are called a certain name for a reason .... shipwreck key , deadmans cay , ect ect --don't over look such subtle clues -- sometimes there is no simple "x" marks the spot --if it was that easy all of the known wrecksite booty would be found by now.......many times one must match up data from achives about ship losses with maps of the area shortly afterwards and before to see if there are any minor "differences"

Thar be whay me son... I bear them all in me galley. ( we should start a pirate like talk thread) heh

I collect any and every map or chart of Florida (pre 70... and a few after but only the whole 2 foot x2 inch thick chart books)... and have studied them all extensively...
You are correct...
Every map is unique...

You point to an island in or part of Florida... Ill tell ya what it has been called :P

NOT including the Ten Thousand Islands... andI do know the bigger and main ones... all the way to Shark R.... oyster etc.
But everything above Romano... game on :P
If I told you the hours I have into map reading... heh

BUT... AND....
I also have stepped foot on... or putted ... or push polled around every major or historic one here.
I spent three years straight cleaning them of water trash and debri on vollunteer :)

Last edited:
Did someone say pirate??
b198a634bd7102948b4f7a79564e82b0.jpg

Are your old maps of Florida also showing central Florida?

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

Hey where is Enginefitter ?
Haven't seen him for awhile here...

Oh and a little known fact it seems...
Did you know some islands actually disappear and re-appear through history ?

Passage key for example... I have actually watched this one be reborn...AGAIN...

If you wanna see... what I mean... this is kinda cool actually...

Go to GE and type in passage key florida... OR just go to the mouth of Tampa bay... it is small dot just off the southern end of Egmont Key...

the go to historical images... (click view... then historical imagery)

Then use slidebar to Go backwards and forwards in time...

you will see it disappear... then re-appear slowly though the years.

tis how old mel fishers -found the 1715--from clues from the library of congress maps

yep the library of congress does have maps ---lots ad lots of em..chock full of info...

aye it be marks and notes on a sea chart that tells the tale in many cases --but always be aware of the "untold" clues --like the names of things and places -- things often are called a certain name for a reason .... shipwreck key , deadmans cay , ect ect --don't over look such subtle clues -- sometimes there is no simple "x" marks the spot --if it was that easy all of the known wrecksite booty would be found by now.......many times one must match up data from archives about ship losses with maps of the area shortly afterwards and before to see if there are any minor "differences"--like a 1700 map that differs from a 1728 map --when looking for a 1715 vessel -- different marks on the older map that doesn't jive with the earlier map --- the maps most often do not say --silver or gold lies here "x"...

once while metal detecting looking for a confederate camp (camp finegan) that had 4 minor camp sites with a couple mile area * a headquarters area --a calvary area -- infantry area --and a artillery area

I knew that the confederate headquarters was next to a still used set of train tracks from a old civil war era map * I also knew that the confederate headquarters had a set of 2 cannons that pointed down tracks to prevent a union surprize attack by rail -- just a short bit from headquarters area and the tracks was "cannon street"---humm

Thanks Ivan, we're on the train now to London and this is terrific advice, thanks so much.......

BIRD ISLAND DID NOT EXIST LONG AGO * in Nassau sound -- in the 1769 map plan of Amelia Island --its shown as a "oyster bed " type reef area ... the wreck is on the far side of the reef --there is a channel on the map between Talbot Island and the reef -- the vessel was most likely taking this inside close to Talbot Island channel passage to try to get behind Amelia Island for safe anchorage during a storm when a strong gust of wind carried it overtop the oyster bed / reef ripping her guts out and caused her to sink .

Well you guys of little faith, we actually found a Spanish galleon, so what do you thin of that then......

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432240114.441016.jpg

Pints are about $8 each and the whisky we were drinking about the same....

Better than that, her Dad owns the Bells, whisky factory.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back