True Spelling

Real de Tayopa said:
MY FRIEND CUBFAN: The story and location of Tayopa will not go with me, only the precise locations of the 5 deposits. It will be published .

I have no intentions of ever working Tayopa, I wish to keep the area as it is, it is spectacular. However, it, and the allied workings, will not be revealed. There were 18 other gopher hole mines in the same barranca.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Ahh, my mistake on misunderstanding your statement - thanks for correcting me. I look forward to reading your story someday!!

Incidently, if you should ever have time to read a book for sheer enjoyment, pick up a copy of "Sweat of the Sun, Tears of the Moon." It is the story of a young author who is captivated by the legend of Inca gold and how he became involved with an "old timer treasure hunter" named Eugene Brunner in Ecuador who spent much of his life looking for this treasure.

I have corresponded with the author (Peter Lourie) a number of times - he did (imho) an excellent job of painting a picture of treasure hunting in the jungles/mountains of South America and how a professional treasure hunter can become fully obsessed with the treasure he seeks - not for the monetary value, but ultimately to be able to prove he was right. It's an absolutely excellent read and still gets my treasure hunting blood pumping faster each time I read it.

Best to you.

Lamar - I was wondering what your thoughts are regarding Mel Fisher's group finding the Atocha and the surrounding legal battles that were involved regarding ownership of the treasures found?

Cubfan: You posted --->

how a professional treasure hunter can become fully obsessed with the treasure he seeks - not for the monetary value, but ultimately to be able to prove he was right.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is only too true, besides one gradually becomes converted to the archaeological factor also.

In the case of Tayopa, i do not wish to see the country uprooted by mining, but paradoxically, I may just have to contribute to this myself to save the Tayopa barranca complex. I may have to turn over the nearby area to the mining companies to divert activities away from Tayopa.

Sigh

Don Jose de La Mancha

HI SWR: you posted ---->

No, it shows that you can't sue on a whim. You should actually study the case.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

?? Where does it show this? As for studying the case, frankly it hadn't inspired more than a bit of idle curiosity, so why waste time on it?
++++++++++++++++

me
Incidentally, didn't I read somewhere that the money was eventually confiscated and turned over to the Philippine gov't as ill gotten gains?
-------------------------------------------
you
You are asking me what you've read? oy vey
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aren't you doing this to me?

Don Jose de La Mancha

P.S. Do you actually believe that everything in "Wicki" is correct and true? hmmm, even they have a disclaimer.

So how is Tayopa spelled in the earliest records? Thank you in advance,
Oroblanco

Oroblanco said:
So how is Tayopa spelled in the earliest records? Thank you in advance,
Oroblanco

Hehe - Oro saves the day and makes a valiant effort to turn this thread back to the original topic :) kudos to Oro!!

HIO In all of the data that I can semi verify, one post seems to fulfill this requirement. "Tayopa".

The others are simply variations chosen later for other mines which may have been mistaken for the original or were simply rich..

Don Jose de La Mancha

"Sorry Capt Bill & Bugs".

p.s. Next??

Paul,

"Incidently, if you should ever have time to read a book for sheer enjoyment, pick up a copy of "Sweat of the Sun, Tears of the Moon." It is the story of a young author who is captivated by the legend of Inca gold and how he became involved with an "old timer treasure hunter" named Eugene Brunner in Ecuador who spent much of his life looking for this treasure.

I have corresponded with the author (Peter Lourie) a number of times - he did (imho) an excellent job of painting a picture of treasure hunting in the jungles/mountains of South America and how a professional treasure hunter can become fully obsessed with the treasure he seeks - not for the monetary value, but ultimately to be able to prove he was right. It's an absolutely excellent read and still gets my treasure hunting blood pumping faster each time I read it."

As you know, I have a few first editions of subject that interest me. This book is also one of my favorites. My copy is a hardback in fine condition with a near fine cover. It has a note inside from Lee Goerner, who was the publisher for Atheneum.

I have considered trying to get in touch with Mr. Lourie, to see if I could send it to him for a signature. As you already have some contact, would you mind asking him if he would sign it? I would, of course, pay all shipping costs.

I thought this line from page 211, pretty much said it all.......concerning part of the discussion that is taking place here: ["But why go?" Mortenson was like a terrier with his prey in his teeth. "You take the gold out, and you kill the myth, too."]

Really fine book. See what you can do for me.

Thanks in advance.

Take care,

Joe

Greetings friends,

Real de Tayopa wrote:
In all of the data that I can semi verify, one post seems to fulfill this requirement. "Tayopa".

You have confirmed what I thought, but I have seen it spelled in a number of different ways, and in some versions of the spelling it really is fairly close to Topira. On the other hand, one of the oldest documents I ever saw concerning Tayopa (early 1700s) spelled it "Teopa". Spelling a native language in European alphabets has resulted in at least some of the variant spellings we find, IMHO.

Ed, my biggest reason for not thinking Topira to be one and the same with Tayopa is the reported gemstones and secondarily the general location being somewhat different from Tayopa. I could be completely wrong however, and if so, then our friend Real de Tayopa either is not telling us of having found the source of the gems, or has not found the gemstones (yet). Of course, the part of the story about the gems might be BS, or might refer to gems that had been mined in S. America etc so who can say at this point?

As an aside, I sure can't wait for spring to arrive - it's been a long time since I did much digging in these parts and have some interesting leads to track down almost in the backyard. In the meantime I hope you all can put up with me as I am stuck with "armchair" treasure hunting for the next several months. :'( :( :o ::)

Dang it now I am reminded of another old story I read, about the lost mine called "Teopira" - which is almost a 'cross' between Topira and Tayopa in spelling. I will have to see if I can find that story again.
Good luck and good hunting to you mi amigos, I hope you all find the treasures that you seek.
your friend,
Oroblanco

Dear springfield;
You wrote:
"Mole. Information fisherman."

I, lile everyone, have an opinion on certain matters and simply because mine doesn't happen to agree with others, that is no reason to toss around unfounded accusations. I feel that posting such coments are determental to our discussion and I would like for you to please refrain from posting them here. I may aslo remind you that we are a part of a PUBLIC forum and as such, anyone can access this topic from any Internet cafe anywhere in the world. I have no pressing need to attempt obtaining information from this topic which is wholly unreliable at best and a complete fabrication at worst. Again, I would ask you to please use a modicum of tact and good manners in any future comments. Thank you.
Your friend;
LAMAR

cactusjumper said:
Paul,

"Incidently, if you should ever have time to read a book for sheer enjoyment, pick up a copy of "Sweat of the Sun, Tears of the Moon." It is the story of a young author who is captivated by the legend of Inca gold and how he became involved with an "old timer treasure hunter" named Eugene Brunner in Ecuador who spent much of his life looking for this treasure.

I have corresponded with the author (Peter Lourie) a number of times - he did (imho) an excellent job of painting a picture of treasure hunting in the jungles/mountains of South America and how a professional treasure hunter can become fully obsessed with the treasure he seeks - not for the monetary value, but ultimately to be able to prove he was right. It's an absolutely excellent read and still gets my treasure hunting blood pumping faster each time I read it."

As you know, I have a few first editions of subject that interest me. This book is also one of my favorites. My copy is a hardback in fine condition with a near fine cover. It has a note inside from Lee Goerner, who was the publisher for Atheneum.

I have considered trying to get in touch with Mr. Lourie, to see if I could send it to him for a signature. As you already have some contact, would you mind asking him if he would sign it? I would, of course, pay all shipping costs.

I thought this line from page 211, pretty much said it all.......concerning part of the discussion that is taking place here: ["But why go?" Mortenson was like a terrier with his prey in his teeth. "You take the gold out, and you kill the myth, too."]

Really fine book. See what you can do for me.

Thanks in advance.

Take care,

Joe

Joe,

I last spoke with Mr. Lourie early last year - we didn't correspond all that much, but he may remember me. He seemed like a very nice person and I'm pretty sure he'd have no problems signing your first edition. He does a great deal of work with grade school and high school age kids these days doing presentations for them on some of his travels, adventures and writing - I've been meaning to try to get permission from a school to attend a presentation when he's in the area, but I keep forgetting about it. I'd really like to meet him.

Another fairly interesting book regarding the same treasure is "Valverde's Gold" by Mark Honigsbaum. It's been awhile since I read that book, but I believe he spends some time with at least 1 or 2 of the same guys mentioned in Mr. Lourie's book (Not Brunner however). It's interesting in it's own right and paints a similar picture of treasure hunter "obsession," but it has more moments of desparation in his attempts to actually get out into the jungle/mountains and the struggles he has dealing with the local treasure hunters who seem to spend as much (if not more) time getting drunk and talking about the treasures than they do actually going out hunting for them.

Incidently, one of my goals in life is to visit Machu Picchu, Quito, Cuzco and any other "Inca" related sites I can. That culture has always held a fascination for me. I've even contemplated trying to set up a trip up to Eugene Brunner's old camp site in the Llanganatis through Mr. Lourie's connections - I think it would be a once in a lifetime experience!

I'll let you know what I find out from Mr. Lourie.

paul

Good mortning Lamar: you posted ----->

"which is wholly unreliable at best and a complete fabrication at worst"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sniff sniff how could you have the slightest doubt about my veracity ??? Sigh. After all, I AM a true, living Saint, even the Indians at Tayopa say that I am a reincarnated Jesuit.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Real de Tayopa said:
Good mortning Lamar: you posted ----->

"which is wholly unreliable at best and a complete fabrication at worst"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sniff sniff how could you have the slightest doubt about my veracity ??? Sigh. After all, I AM a true, living Saint, even the Indians at Tayopa say that I am a reincarnated Jesuit.
Don Jose de La Mancha

Hah!! The truth comes out finally - you're making the natives work your mines for you aren't you Real!! :) (just kidding of course)

ORO: You posted ------>

"our friend Real de Tayopa either is not telling us of having found the source of the gems, or has not found the gemstones (yet)"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weeell Amethyst is found in the Remedios Mine, approx. 1800 meters NE. from the Capilla.

The main headquarters lies approx. the same to the NW in a beautiful little valley with a perfect little arroyo which runs all year long with crystal clear water.

Some of the Jesuits are buried there, not in / at the Capilla.

There never was a large church or Cathedral as is popularly stated, just an almost identical Capilla as shown..

Don Jose de La Mancha

Jesuit grave at Tayopa 1630\'s©.jpg
Headquarters Cuartel 2.jpg
Jesuit grave at Tayopa 1630\'s©.jpg

Attachments

• indexCA3LLD3J.jpg
    indexCA3LLD3J.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 398
Ed,
Sometimes when you look at the photo in the negative the signs show up a little better.
Here is your top photo as a negative. look at what the sign does.

Sure stands out better.

Thom
OD

Attachments

• indexCAWESH9C.jpg
    indexCAWESH9C.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 451
Real de Tayopa wrote:
Weeell Amethyst is found in the Remedios Mine

Very interesting mi amigo - and is it coincidental that amethyst occurs in North Carolina in the very same region where EMERALDS are found? Hmm.... :-\

Of course Amethyst might occur without any other precious or semi-precious gemstone too - for instance at the Commonwealth mine in Pearce AZ, which is a noted silver-gold mine as well.

Oroblanco

Dear Oro de Blanco;
What is so odd about beryl occurring in the same regions as quartz? Quartz is found pretty much everywhere on the planet.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back