Today’s finds xx

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Saturday at last and my much needed day in the field is here!!

Barley fields have been harvested so we went out to another new field… this one has the Roman Road cutting along the top… but also is near the plane crash site.. so lots of fragments of metal. (Will put details of the plane in comments )

Well we didnt find Roman, but had a lovely day in the sunshine!

First off a nice spectacle buckle, then a weird Boot…🤔… lead weight and small piece of decorated lead.. Tack pin and a loop, 2 old buckles, an old pen knife.. has lettering on it but havent worked it out yet, A fancy button, more buttons, 1912 one penny… and .. drum roll .. himself found a Silver Queen Victoria Florin.. which i believe is 1853… (If my Roman Numeral conversion is correct) 😎 xx

Beautiful scenery to gaze and imagine around us today xx

IMG_3970.jpeg
IMG_3971.jpeg
IMG_3972.jpeg
IMG_3973.jpeg
IMG_3974.jpeg
IMG_3975.jpeg
IMG_3976.jpeg
IMG_3977.jpeg
IMG_3978.jpeg
IMG_3979.jpeg
IMG_3980.jpeg
IMG_3981.jpeg
IMG_3956.jpeg
IMG_3960.jpeg
IMG_3961.jpeg
IMG_3962.jpeg

Upvote 23
Lots of goodies.
A small clasp or pocket or pen knife is always a personal effect. And a personal loss...
There's a button just as fancy as you could ask...
But the Florin wins this day.
The obverse design is very busy, without being garish. Great recovery himself!

Congrats to you both on a splendid hunt.

That Florin is cool -- I've never seen one of those before! Not sure what's up with that boot, though. 8-)

And great scenery as always!

Lots of goodies.
A small clasp or pocket or pen knife is always a personal effect. And a personal loss...
There's a button just as fancy as you could ask...
But the Florin wins this day.
The obverse design is very busy, without being garish. Great recovery himself!

Congrats to you both on a splendid hunt.
I think the buttons says Loyal Leicestershire Volunteers?? 🤔.. yes the Florin is a bit fab isnt it!! 😆 xx

Date and time: May 1, 1940 @ 0440

Aircraft: handley Page HP 52 Hampden

The crew departed RAF Hemswell in the evening of April 30 to bomb Aalborg. After more than nine hours in the air, the airplane crashed in unknown circumstances in Croxton Kerrial, 6 miles southwest of Grantham. All four crew members were killed.

Crew:

F/O Charles William Glover, pilot,

P/O Jack Ernest Anthony Friend, pilot,

Sgt Charles Frost, observer,

AC1 John Bell Greenall, wireless operator and air gunner.

Date and time: May 1, 1940 @ 0440

Aircraft: handley Page HP 52 Hampden

The crew departed RAF Hemswell in the evening of April 30 to bomb Aalborg. After more than nine hours in the air, the airplane crashed in unknown circumstances in Croxton Kerrial, 6 miles southwest of Grantham. All four crew members were killed.

Crew:

F/O Charles William Glover, pilot,

P/O Jack Ernest Anthony Friend, pilot,

Sgt Charles Frost, observer,

AC1 John Bell Greenall, wireless operator and air gunner.
IMG_0675.jpeg

The "boot" may be a pot leg.

Nice florin! Always fun to find big silver. Here's the one I found over there.
20240728_084310.jpg
20240728_084321.jpg

Blossom nailed it !

1722182431936.png
Description: LOYAL LEICESTERSHIRE VOLUNTEERS surmounted by crown with rose in centre' Category: English Volunteer Infantry.
Metal: Copper Alloy silver plated; Backmark: None ;
Date: c1794-1813
Notes: The first corps was raised in 1794 and titled 'Royal Leicester', a 2/3 Company unit commanded by Major John Mansfield. stood down in 1801 the few Volunteer units were converted to Local Militia in 1808/09. Re-raised in September 1803 and shown as '(Leicester (Loyal)', 480 strong of eight companies. Lt Col Commandant John Mansfield, Lt-Col Joseph Farmer.
Don in SoCal
Source: https://asahelena.wixsite.com/militarybuttons/buttons-j-l

Can't tell the size of the "boot". Might it have been a form/mold used by a cobbler? 🤔

Blossom nailed it !

View attachment 2161030Description: LOYAL LEICESTERSHIRE VOLUNTEERS surmounted by crown with rose in centre' Category: English Volunteer Infantry.
Metal: Copper Alloy silver plated; Backmark: None ;
Date: c1794-1813
Notes: The first corps was raised in 1794 and titled 'Royal Leicester', a 2/3 Company unit commanded by Major John Mansfield. stood down in 1801 the few Volunteer units were converted to Local Militia in 1808/09. Re-raised in September 1803 and shown as '(Leicester (Loyal)', 480 strong of eight companies. Lt Col Commandant John Mansfield, Lt-Col Joseph Farmer.
Don in SoCal
Source: https://asahelena.wixsite.com/militarybuttons/buttons-j-l
Wow… excellent work! … thank you so much! Xx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back