THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

20240808_192635.jpg

The day before yesterday I went down to the Dam to see what this guy was doing standing on the corner looking up the road at us.
Turned out that he was flying a drone, and was bringing it in for a landing.

He stated that he was doing some research on the area.
That prompted the question of what/why/and who for?

(Been a lot of weird land registry things happening over the past year by different departments)

No this was for himself a "researcher"-history of the area-he was interested in seeing if the sketches made in the 1820's actually were true to the topography of what is here today.

Turns out this very interesting fellow was an author of 7 or 9 books.
Local history of the river systems, and has written one on the railways of Ontario called "The First Spike".
The book on the "Salmon River" showed himself @80 yrs old with his buddies some @ 90 yrs old white water kayaking in the winter!
Now if there isn't a case of not being too old to be enjoying life. :headbang::hello2:
(His kayak group median age was 82 yrs old.)

The mrs came to check on why I left the job at hand, and was in-depth in a yakking session with a stranger.
Now only 2.5-3 hrs had slipped by :dontknow::laughing7:.

The guy stated he could date railway rail/spikes to the year they were manufactured. (Big display of both spikes and slices of rail)
He found them from door knocking, and detecting old railway lines.

He gave me a copy of one of the pictures of my water system and dam as it looked like in the 1820's.
His contact information also, so I probably will get a book from him on the next visit.
Sounds interesting

Rainy type of day job.
Working on the spreader and the
(butterfly)cogs seamed a little clogged up.
That grease was solid, probably some of it being original.
Not perfect but in working order again.
After lunch I'll grease it up and do the other side.
So peaceful listening to the classic rock station playing with something old.
20240809_112504.jpg
20240809_114926.jpg
20240809_114932.jpg
20240809_124130.jpg

Well the grease, or the lack of on the otherside was a chisel out affair.
20240809_152959.jpg

Now all greased up and out the door.
20240809_180003.jpg

No getting a flat tire on this oldie.

No detecting today. After my yearly eye exam (gotta make sure I can spot those $20s floating around in the lake) left me too dilated to be outside I just worked on an old 1964 BSA I recently picked up, with only half the shop lights on.

Attachments

• IMG_7415.PNG
    IMG_7415.PNG
    791.7 KB · Views: 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• ARC
Back