THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Good morning everyone. Lots of clouds this morning & maybe some Sahara dust. Indialantic Beach

20240722_064048.jpg

Had a friend come down and hunt this weekend .... I met this guy on the treasure coast, and he saw me dig a 1715 treasure coin....we've kept in touch since then....I didn't get to see him, but he asked permission at one of the state parks, and was allowed to hunt...he got 2 Kennedy halfs !! And I've never been allowed to hunt at this state park ?? I will now hunt it !!

Yesterday took a left turn from what I had planned (garden) to a get the skid steer broken wheel studs out.

I hammered, heated, then drilled a pilot hole to keep a punch in, sledge hammer, then a air chisel with the punch tip,
After a few hrs, hands sore from hammering.
I went and got a buddy with the Popeye forearms to help.
4 hrs later we managed to get the 3 studs out of the hub.

Buddy left and so I got on to putting the new ones back in-:laughing7: (Took 2 hours)
No room to hammer them in from the backside, just enough pressure to get them from spinning and using a 3/4" impact gun to suck them in.
The gun an extension was some hot when that was done!

One thing about doing this job was the cost. $75 for parts, and a $50 for buddy (he asked for $40)
If a mechanic had done this in a shop or on site-@$130+ an hour?

I know that no matter how experienced a person is there's only a few options in certain jobs.
Even heating/best rust releasing products/tools didn't work-just a lot of hammering with a 8 lb sledge.

I can see where the previous owners might have neglected in replacing the broken off studs.
I stand by the old saying "If it had been easy-It would have been done-101"

Yesterday took a left turn from what I had planned (garden) to a get the skid steer broken wheel studs out.

I hammered, heated, then drilled a pilot hole to keep a punch in, sledge hammer, then a air chisel with the punch tip,
After a few hrs, hands sore from hammering.
I went and got a buddy with the Popeye forearms to help.
4 hrs later we managed to get the 3 studs out of the hub.

Buddy left and so I got on to putting the new ones back in-:laughing7: (Took 2 hours)
No room to hammer them in from the backside, just enough pressure to get them from spinning and using a 3/4" impact gun to suck them in.
The gun an extension was some hot when that was done!

One thing about doing this job was the cost. $75 for parts, and a $50 for buddy (he asked for $40)
If a mechanic had done this in a shop or on site-@$130+ an hour?

I know that no matter how experienced a person is there's only a few options in certain jobs.
Even heating/best rust releasing products/tools didn't work-just a lot of hammering with a 8 lb sledge.

I can see where the previous owners might have neglected in replacing the broken off studs.
I stand by the old saying "If it had been easy-It would have been done-101"
You're a tougher man than I P.J..

One shoulder says a coffee cup is heavy enough this morning. You'd have fired me after the first hour using a 2 lb. sledge/machinist hammer. (Unless you have a one lb. .)

This guy says all you have to do is hammer them out. L.o.l..

You're a tougher man than I P.J..

One shoulder says a coffee cup is heavy enough this morning. You'd have fired me after the first hour using a 2 lb. sledge/machinist hammer. (Unless you have a one lb. .)

This guy says all you have to do is hammer them out. L.o.l..

Ya probably took them out, then slipped them in for a video shoot.
Usually they come out with a good wack.
Changed them while owning the scrap yard.
Big compressor, 3/4" air delivery might have been the air tool ticket.

Ya probably took them out, then slipped them in for a video shoot.
Usually they come out with a good wack.
Changed them while owning the scrap yard.
Big compressor, 3/4" air delivery might have been the air tool ticket.
That was the same video I had seen.
I was trying to figure out if there was a secret.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back