THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Its is absolutely stinking hot tonight. Everything feels like bar heater everything is sweaty and clammy. Everything sticks to you like glue. It is so Humid as if ya breathing warm water in the lungs. No wonder they call it the suicide season. I remember why in the past I used to get hammered to pass out to get some sleep.

Even when naked. I have very insect imaginable crawling over me. Its a rock and role concert of crickets, frogs and creature in the night ringing in your ears.

I could use the air conditioner but that besides the point. I am in jungle training for one more trip that will be in even worse humid conditions. So this old raged old birdy need's to toughen up. But Geez the older ya get the harder it is?

Crow

Been thinking about these crafty little Spaniards and the way there colonial minds thought. I have really been trying to understand where they would choose to camp, if your salvaging nearby wrecks ?? There is one factor that stands out.....how do you salvage a large wreck, and get the goods to your camp. Slowly, by finding bits and parts of there operations, I've been able to theorize just how they did it. After salvaging the easy stuff above the waterline, then they got down to the hard work. The ship was burned to the waterline, and this gave access to the lower decks. But how do you salvage things underwater ? Again....the easy Pickens were quickly gotten, and now it's time to break the wreck down further ? But how do we get the goods ashore, and how can we make the process easier and quicker ? 2 major clues are coming together !! First question is where is this camp in relation to the closest wreck ?

Here's what I've come up with....I find parts of the broken galleon on the beach, and assumed the camp was in this vicinity. Now I've found a major shipwreck, and all of a sudden everything comes into focus !! This is not a new shipwreck, it's part of a galleon from the 1733 fleet that has been torn off by grapple hooks, and towed by salveagers. This portion of galleon is snugged up, and drug inshore to shallow water directly in front of the salvage camp. This allows the salvegers to work in shallow water closer to the camp site, and protected from weather, waves, and sharks. Its simple now.....my camp will be directly inshore of my new wreckage. It all makes perfect sense now, and I'm understanding what I'm seeing now.

Today looks like the day.....very little wind, clear water, and calm seas. The water is cold, and pretty shark infested, so I will not get in alone......I will put the gopro on a selfie stick and attempt to capture this underwater wreck site.
Now that's using your noggin! Love how you share your thoughts with us BB and then acting them out as if you were on a swashbuckling adventure, which you are of course ⚓.... I hope you're journaling all these expeditions, because I want to be the first to get your book :icon_study:
So exiting :hello2:

Rare find in the Keys! Good save.
First one ever......I found a couple in Tennessee as a boy, but never one in the keys !! It also confirmed what I thought.....when you do find one, it stands out like a bright light amongst the dull shells, and coral rock. It was easy to spot.

Yeah that's just crazy! Talk about a needle in a hay stack.... Cudos and what's the stone?
I'm not sure, I'll have to defer to Newnan man for the stone ID. perhaps flint or chert of some type ?

20240204_085839.jpg
Screenshot_20240204_085803_Google.jpg

Strange to find this on a remote beach with an arrowhead, and whiskey bottle ?? Ya never know what will show up !!

First one ever......I found a couple in Tennessee as a boy, but never one in the keys !! It also confirmed what I thought.....when you do find one, it stands out like a bright light amongst the dull shells, and coral rock. It was easy to spot.
See ,not everyone passes up lunch.
Fish starts getting old , a bird can change things up.

O'Leno is sourced (as a school/design) far North of you.
Yes your piece may have fractured. I'm not wagering much either way.

Not sure...but my FWC cultural heritage person is looking for examples of other points found in the keys....she seems pretty excited !! She is checking with her bosses, we are both learning this NA stuff for down here. I sometimes go with her to sites and pick the obvious tools up for the state before they get destroyed or picked up by others !!

Not sure...but my FWC cultural heritage person is looking for examples of other points found in the keys....she seems pretty excited !! She is checking with her bosses, we are both learning this NA stuff for down here. I sometimes go with her to sites and pick the obvious tools up for the state before they get destroyed or picked up by others !!

The O'Leno is a knife shape. Most knapped sharp edges can be called such but the earlier article suggests such.
A mini knife? Oh sure. How many 6 inch hobby blades do we see for detailed work?

Multiple ways to put a feather on a shaft. I've tried a few. Even entire several inch ones for atlatl darts.
I lean towards cutting feathers in half lengthwise though.
Most of which matters is having a tab at each end to secure with. How big of a blade you need to trim up a split quills ends?

Secure lunch with a well hit bird. Recycle the tools used to do so.
Sort the best feathers for future use. Bone too can be recycled .
Depends what's goin on besides lunch.

FLJX9HSIJWWMHLV.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back