THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Worst detecting winter I've ever had. Between weather, sea conditions, traffic, and work and family obligations I've had little to no hunting time. I guess I'll go and size a new wet suit for spring, and start getting wet.....with the introduction of dedicated sand bar charters, it's gotten to the point where there is never an off season. In the past the human traffic at these spots would almost stop completely during the winter months.....now the charter boats go every day. We call these large tourist boats cattle boats.....they herd the tourists off, and into the water, and then they herd them back onboard after a couple hours. Usally my fist time back in after winter break is incredible......my record is 12 golds, and 4 silvers in a single 5 hour water session.....got to be a half dozen golds out there right now waiting for me. I'm super lucky that there are no cold water hunters like Casper, or obn. All the guys down here are spoiled, and only hunt warm weather. I'm not sure when I'll strike, but it'll be pretty soon that I make my first hunts of the year. Gold is piling up from the tourists !!

Worst detecting winter I've ever had. Between weather, sea conditions, traffic, and work and family obligations I've had little to no hunting time. I guess I'll go and size a new wet suit for spring, and start getting wet.....with the introduction of dedicated sand bar charters, it's gotten to the point where there is never an off season. In the past the human traffic at these spots would almost stop completely during the winter months.....now the charter boats go every day. We call these large tourist boats cattle boats.....they herd the tourists off, and into the water, and then they herd them back onboard after a couple hours. Usally my fist time back in after winter break is incredible......my record is 12 golds, and 4 silvers in a single 5 hour water session.....got to be a half dozen golds out there right now waiting for me. I'm super lucky that there are no cold water hunters like Casper, or obn. All the guys down here are spoiled, and only hunt warm weather. I'm not sure when I'll strike, but it'll be pretty soon that I make my first hunts of the year. Gold is piling up from the tourists !!
I know nothing about wet suites really, though I do know most divers up here seem to like dry suites in the season when the plant growth is low.
So looking at your water temps and looking at what MM. thickness one would need, plus the Bart factor has to be taken into consideration.

Screen Shot 2024-01-23 at 7.11.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-23 at 7.14.25 AM.png

65-75 degree water would need a .05-2/1 mm Top /shorty

Now we need to calculate the Bart factor (he's got the hoodie up-socks in the flip flops-both hands around the coffee cup) believing that the water is 20 degrees below what is humanly possible for getting wet.

So taking all this in with a plus/minus factor \Bart should be getting himself a 3/2-4/3 Full Suit + Boots Sealed.

I will expect a full screen picture version of a gold filled mitt as payment for this research.

I know nothing about wet suites really, though I do know most divers up here seem to like dry suites in the season when the plant growth is low.
So looking at your water temps and looking at what MM. thickness one would need, plus the Bart factor has to be taken into consideration.

View attachment 2127475View attachment 2127476

Now we need to calculate the Bart factor (he's got the hoodie up-socks in the flip flops-both hands around the coffee cup) believing that the water is 20 degrees below what is humanly possible for getting wet.

So taking all this in with a plus/minus factor \Bart should be getting himself a 3/2-4/3 Full Suit + Boots Sealed.

I will expect a full screen picture version of a gold filled mitt as payment for this research.
That menu is pretty spot on....only need the shorty down here....I've found out that as an ex pro surfer, I have 10 X the cold tolerance than all my competitors down here !! There tolerance for cold is "zero" islamoradamark, and most of the others will not get in the water from Oct.- mid March. I would have already been in, but this is a very abnormal winter.....it has been rough for weeks, and when it's not I have to fish/work. Come warm weather I have 2 beautiful wrecks to document and explore.....the funny thing about hidden shipwrecks is.....once you find them you always know where they are. This one I can see from the highway.....it kills me to look over as I drive by, and know it's right there !! Soon.....soon....ill film it !!

That menu is pretty spot on....only need the shorty down here....I've found out that as an ex pro surfer, I have 10 X the cold tolerance than all my competitors down here !! There tolerance for cold is "zero" islamoradamark, and most of the others will not get in the water from Oct.- mid March. I would have already been in, but this is a very abnormal winter.....it has been rough for weeks, and when it's not I have to fish/work. Come warm weather I have 2 beautiful wrecks to document and explore.....the funny thing about hidden shipwrecks is.....once you find them you always know where they are. This one I can see from the highway.....it kills me to look over as I drive by, and know it's right there !! Soon.....soon....ill film it !!
I still remember working with this Frenchman from Quebec on the railroad in 1974.
He told me in the dead of winter a group of them dove under the ice in the St Lawrence River.
He claimed it was the most amazing thing ever, so peaceful and beautiful.
(It still chills me bones ✍️ this memory today)
I queried him on the cold.
His reply: "The secret is we drink lots and lots of water like a gallon, before we dive.
Then take a long pee in the suit as we dive.
It insulated me from the cold water."
🌶 thinking nope.🤣

View attachment 2127475View attachment 2127476

Big enough shark and any suit I'm wearing is going to become a wet suit..

I still remember working with this Frenchman from Quebec on the railroad in 1974.
He told me in the dead of winter a group of them dove under the ice in the St Lawrence River.
He claimed it was the most amazing thing ever, so peaceful and beautiful.
(It still chills me bones ✍️ this memory today)
I queried him on the cold.
His reply: "The secret is we drink lots and lots of water like a gallon, before we dive.
Then take a long pee in the suit as we dive.
It insulated me from the cold water."
🌶 thinking nope.🤣
In Florida you NEVER buy a used wet suit for that very reason. No one gets out of the water & unzips when they have to pee!

Mornin all.
Heat wave rolled in last night and a mist fog hit the back deck which turned into glazed ice.
Been snowing fairly heavy this morning. A wet snow due to temp increase (finally).
I'm leaving the snow for traction for now. which works. Kinda.
Besides. Unless it gets too deep I don't care to be in the heavier stuff while shoveling. I just track and carry it indoors after.
Oh , I have a picture or two to add to the computer..

Mornin all.
Heat wave rolled in last night and a mist fog hit the back deck which turned into glazed ice.
Been snowing fairly heavy this morning. A wet snow due to temp increase (finally).
I'm leaving the snow for traction for now. which works. Kinda.
Besides. Unless it gets too deep I don't care to be in the heavier stuff while shoveling. I just track and carry it indoors after.
Oh , I have a picture or two to add to the computer..
Morning

Yes the steak under the boots is gone, slippery now.
I'm leaving the surface snow on for now-which will melt which will turn into ice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back