THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Screenshot_20240109_083208_Maps.jpg

Studying, and understanding underwater satellite imagery, has been one of the most satisfying aspects of my treasure hunting. The first time I saw something underwater from satellite imagery, and then pursued it from my boat I was hooked. I wondered just how many times I could repeat the success of a satellite image driven treasure hunt ? Well, this tool has been invaluable, essential, and one of my top forms of research. I have worked the process in reverse, and found something underwater while diving, and then after taking a mark on my phones map function plotted the information and found the visual confirmation from sat. Imagery !!

Here I have some satellite imagery of a wreck or 2 on the bank. Several scenarios in this instance could be what happened.....all of which are fine, and would have a wreckage trail !!

Screenshot_20240109_085617_Maps.jpg

The scars in the reef tell the tale....which direction did the ship come from ? The scar has clues....the northeast, to southwest track looks plausible for #1 scenario. A sailing ship is anchored to the north east, and drags anchor in a storm, which causes it to blow down wind to the south west, where it wrecks in the shallows and settles where the brown (ballast pile) is circled. And the other circled spot is another earlier wreck ?

Last edited:
View attachment 2125158
Studying, and understanding underwater satellite imagery, has been one of the most satisfying aspects of my treasure hunting. The first time I saw something underwater from satellite imagery, and then pursued it from my boat I was hooked. I wondered just how many times I could repeat the success of a satellite image driven treasure hunt ? Well, this tool has been invaluable, essential, and one of my top forms of research. I have worked the process in reverse, and found something underwater while diving, and then after taking a mark on my phones map function plotted the information and found the visual confirmation from sat. Imagery !!

Here I have some satellite imagery of a wreck or 2 on the bank. Several scenarios in this instance could be what happened.....all of which are fine, and would have a wreckage trail !!
Just think really what we have available to us for Sat. imagery today is 20-25yr old technology.
This was from a dinner table on the QM ll back in 2006.
He worked for ever for
Locheed Martin.
We got on the subject of mapping, sat. imagery.
Quote: "Well Jim all I can tell you is what ever you have or view today, is the technology we had 20-25yrs ago"
I look at Giggle Earth and the imagery is 6 yrs old for my location.

Query Bart: Do you know if the LiDar system has been done for your viewing area?

The clearer the water, the further the LiDAR system's laser pulses can penetrate, and thus the deeper it can measure. In clear water, a LiDAR system can measure up to about 300 meters deep.

Screenshot_20240109_083208_Maps.jpg

Or did a ship get driven in from the south west, towards the northeast ? The sip would have sunk...up to its decks where the brown ballast spot is, and then the ship itself would have been pulverized and driven over the shallow reef towards the north east....leaving a large swath of damage from wreckage across the reef as we see.

Last edited:
THANK YOU WOLVERINES !!!

View attachment 2125146
No use for Michigan. Their title will always be shadowed by their cheating scandal. Would they have lost any games if they had not cheated? Why were they permitted to play in the championship playoffs with one coach resigning and the head coach suspended the lasts 3 games?

Last edited:
Screenshot_20240109_091234_Maps.jpg

Scenario# 3
Circled white spot is the (bounce spot) original grounding site, and the brown spot is the final resting spot, with a subsequent wreckage trail stretching to the north east from the south west ?

Yesterday we went to my dad’s to watch football and hang some wall decor that he bought. It would have been my mom’s birthday. In the process of rummaging for the perfect screws, I started coming across hair clips from my mom, which led to a hunt for more. Which led to me asking dad if I could have her little “catch all.” Dad said it was her mother’s. It was filthy. As long as I can remember, it had a yucky brown top. I cleaned it up and kept some of the contents. It’s battered and bruised, but it was my heritage.

View attachment 2124990

View attachment 2124991

Then my dad gave me some of his personal stuff and my grandfather’s.

View attachment 2124992
I find that badge interesting. First, I didn’t know my grandpa worked on Wright Patterson AFB. Second, back then, that’s all you needed for ,what’s the right word here? Clearance? ID? Anyway, it’s cool to have.
That's really cool stuff WD... there's something about going through family heritage things that allows you to see through their eyes. I wonder what the KEY went to?

Screenshot_20240109_091741_Maps.jpg

Scenario#4
2 separate wrecks I ship coming from the southwest, with wreckage to the northeast, the brown spot, and another possibly older wreckage trail from south east to northwest (the light spot)

View attachment 2125161
Scenario# 3
Circled white spot is the (bounce spot) original grounding site, and the brown spot is the final resting spot, with a subsequent wreckage trail stretching to the north east from the south west ?
Hey BB, ya might want to charge your phone! :laughing7:

View attachment 2125158

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e.jpg

I've noticed some elongated object lying on the bottom here... possibly wooden framework?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back