THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Good afternoon TM crew well I got this paint by numbers portrait of Jesus this past Christmas and finally got it finish I did however notice it just seemed there was something a little off about it which is why it took me 8 months to finish it.
so I had to improvise a bit and sketched and freehand painted in a baby sheep I think it came out pretty good and the sheep just makes the whole thing pop.
904f9dc27dddc40320a5fb781d39d6fc5e16636c8853cd451fbb12a053f706e3.png

Last edited:
Yesterday was scary for me, and I pushed the limit. Got to my launch spot around 10:30. I looked out to sea, and saw only 2 boats at the spot. Dark clouds on the horizon, and a lack of others at the spot had me doubting if I should make the 1 mile paddle out ? Since I loaded my kyak, and drove the 20+ miles to the spot, I decided to go for it, even if I got rained out. It's scary being the only person out here snorkeling, and knowing it only takes one close encounter to ruin the day. Luckily a few more boats made it out also, and I felt much better with some company !! In the end I had to evacuate and flee a massive thunderstorm. 40 mile car ride, load and unload kyak 4 times, a 2 mile paddle, and I got rained out. People think it's easy.....I do all this by myself, and rarely have a partner. If my anchor slips, or I lose my paddle, or I flip the kyak......well its over at that point and I'm screwed !! I have to be extra careful that I'm not stranded or that I don't lose any critical gear. So after a good struggle out and back.....all I got was the one old crusty silver. Had to paddle my ass off against contrary storm winds to get home.....yes....I have gotten a tan, and some muscle tone from all the kayaking!!

Also for the first time in my life I feel like I've covered this entire spot !! Yesterday was different, and I pulled the crusty silver from a foot under the seabed !! Im digging the deep faint targets, and I was able to locate another plank from the 1733 wreck. I'm very interested in these deep targets, and am starting to think there could be some 1733 treasure coins here very deep down !!

Yesterday was scary for me, and I pushed the limit. Got to my launch spot around 10:30. I looked out to sea, and saw only 2 boats at the spot. Dark clouds on the horizon, and a lack of others at the spot had me doubting if I should make the 1 mile paddle out ? Since I loaded my kyak, and drove the 20+ miles to the spot, I decided to go for it, even if I got rained out. It's scary being the only person out here snorkeling, and knowing it only takes one close encounter to ruin the day. Luckily a few more boats made it out also, and I felt much better with some company !! In the end I had to evacuate and flee a massive thunderstorm. 40 mile car ride, load and unload kyak 4 times, a 2 mile paddle, and I got rained out. People think it's easy.....I do all this by myself, and rarely have a partner. If my anchor slips, or I lose my paddle, or I flip the kyak......well its over at that point and I'm screwed !! I have to be extra careful that I'm not stranded or that I don't lose any critical gear. So after a good struggle out and back.....all I got was the one old crusty silver. Had to paddle my ass off against contrary storm winds to get home.....yes....I have gotten a tan, and some muscle tone from all the kayaking!!

Also for the first time in my life I feel like I've covered this entire spot !! Yesterday was different, and I pulled the crusty silver from a foot under the seabed !! Im digging the deep faint targets, and I was able to locate another plank from the 1733 wreck. I'm very interested in these deep targets, and am starting to think there could be some 1733 treasure coins here very deep down !!
After a good storm... immediately... try that spot again.
Well Bart... i assure you... IF i ever make it back down to the Keys...
You would have some "company".......... hmmmmm............. maybe....... ......... hmmmm.... perhaps i should file for a corporation if i wanna be some company.

But anyway....... would love to tag along to some spots with ya... and so would my other half ... Shes a digger and a half. heh

Well as all of you have read, and seen from my ramblings over the past 5 weeks has been about trees.
It's finally ending this morning for the rental of the lift.
Yesterday was the pick up time but the driver was sick and I got to work for another day. (I didn't find out that out till noon)
So I carried on for another 8 hrs and did another major take down of 5 larger trees.
Weird how the mind works 💪.
I was set to go play for the PM, as I told the Mrs that it was going to happen for a few days.
(Before the next projects start)
Then the cancelation of the pickup really threw a monkey wrench into my thinking.
So I dug deep turned it all into let's get it done.

This area is at the end of my shop yard, the tall trees cast a late day shadow, making everything darker.
Being a narrow strip between 3 sugar bush lanes that branch off from the shop it will allow more light, expand the yard out from the 20ft roll up door.
Eliminating the bottle deck of trying to navigate around to plow in the winter.
20230710_121229.jpg

Got a sweet maple saw log 18" x 20'+ feet long of clear select this is worth some $$$ once milled.
20230815_082205.jpg

Lots of smaller ones , but lots of firewood for the evaporator and a future wood burner option.
This 3 sister grouping all joined at the 6-8ft level.
Was originally thinking of keeping a 3 way split, mill it into thick slabs for a table.
Then the safety aspect played out. Each leaning in a different direction, I could see the wet seams running down the stump.
Measurements made this a dangerous cut as the 20 inch bar wouldn't reach all the way through.
Side trimming the base was one option, or just be sensible and take them separately down.
I fell from right to left, first 2 between 2 others across the back trail. The third with the crown went east over the other back hill trail.
The 6ft stump remains now, and that's an easy to cut.
Getting to the age where cutting with a 25lb chainsaw at 6ft isn't a great time.
Took a lot of physical and mental therapy for the 🌶 to get it done.
Thie reason for the weird angle cut on the middle was I cut vertically down 24" between #2-3 then lopped off the stump to bring it to the 6ft level cutting.
The lift really has been a great tool, I just put some pressure on the 3/4 mark of the tree then finish the cut.

20230815_180723.jpg

So now it opened up the corner of the trail.
9 large trees down, another 5 smaller hickory. From the top of the triangle I have 5 more large maples, and countless little trees to cut out.
The sucker trees are 20ft tall, and only a few inches around.
Over the next year we'll clear 4-5 acres of all the sucker trees under 4". Some of these smaller trees are still 30-40 ft, all starving for a piece of the sky.
Well long post, well worn out. Need to go play for a mental recharging of beep-beeps after the pickup.
20230815_094248.jpg

20230815_173231.jpg
20230815_184837.jpg

20230815_174102.jpg

Dang pepper, you'd make a beaver jealous!!!!! Be safe my friend! I lost a dear buddy last year to a tree accident. He was a true wood man but you never know when a kick can change everything. 🙏

Well as all of you have read, and seen from my ramblings over the past 5 weeks has been about trees.
It's finally ending this morning for the rental of the lift.
Yesterday was the pick up time but the driver was sick and I got to work for another day. (I didn't find out that out till noon)
So I carried on for another 8 hrs and did another major take down of 5 larger trees.
Weird how the mind works 💪.
I was set to go play for the PM, as I told the Mrs that it was going to happen for a few days.
(Before the next projects start)
Then the cancelation of the pickup really threw a monkey wrench into my thinking.
So I dug deep turned it all into let's get it done.

This area is at the end of my shop yard, the tall trees cast a late day shadow, making everything darker.
Being a narrow strip between 3 sugar bush lanes that branch off from the shop it will allow more light, expand the yard out from the 20ft roll up door.
Eliminating the bottle deck of trying to navigate around to plow in the winter.
View attachment 2099671
Got a sweet maple saw log 18" x 20'+ feet long of clear select this is worth some $$$ once milled.View attachment 2099672
Lots of smaller ones , but lots of firewood for the evaporator and a future wood burner option.
This 3 sister grouping all joined at the 6-8ft level.
Was originally thinking of keeping a 3 way split, mill it into thick slabs for a table.
Then the safety aspect played out. Each leaning in a different direction, I could see the wet seams running down the stump.
Measurements made this a dangerous cut as the 20 inch bar wouldn't reach all the way through.
Side trimming the base was one option, or just be sensible and take them separately down.
I fell from right to left, first 2 between 2 others across the back trail. The third with the crown went east over the other back hill trail.
The 6ft stump remains now, and that's an easy to cut.
Getting to the age where cutting with a 25lb chainsaw at 6ft isn't a great time.
Took a lot of physical and mental therapy for the 🌶 to get it done.
Thie reason for the weird angle cut on the middle was I cut vertically down 24" between #2-3 then lopped off the stump to bring it to the 6ft level cutting.
The lift really has been a great tool, I just put some pressure on the 3/4 mark of the tree then finish the cut.

View attachment 2099673

So now it opened up the corner of the trail.
9 large trees down, another 5 smaller hickory. From the top of the triangle I have 5 more large maples, and countless little trees to cut out.
The sucker trees are 20ft tall, and only a few inches around.
Over the next year we'll clear 4-5 acres of all the sucker trees under 4". Some of these smaller trees are still 30-40 ft, all starving for a piece of the sky.
Well long post, well worn out. Need to go play for a mental recharging of beep-beeps after the pickup. View attachment 2099677

View attachment 2099680View attachment 2099679
View attachment 2099678
Oak wilt saves me from much cutting anymore. (That and leaving the saws in the shed.)

Might want to wait a day before going detecting to get your landlegs back instead of the lift's bouncy bouncy bouncy rhythm you're used to as you bend your good knee (well the better of what's left of the two) . Folks might be alarmed at too bouncy a walk from you like you went beatnik or something.

You might fall down trying to walk far right away...

Dang pepper, you'd make a beaver jealous!!!!! Be safe my friend! I lost a dear buddy last year to a tree accident. He was a true wood man but you never know when a kick can change everything. 🙏
Certainly can, kick backs, limb flipping back is bullet fast.
The #3 tree fell and th big branch is in the ground 3 ft.
I didn't notice how deep till the saw pinched, so I cut it off.
I was lifting the crown end up with the 🚜 and I should of lift it higher.
The power of a tree will bury a person right quick.
I guess I could use it for a short fence post.🤣
20230816_091525.jpg

Oak wilt saves me from much cutting anymore. (That and leaving the saws in the shed.)

Might want to wait a day before going detecting to get your landlegs back instead of the lift's bouncy bouncy bouncy rhythm you're used to as you bend your good knee (well the better of what's left of the two) . Folks might be alarmed at too bouncy a walk from you like you went beatnik or something.

You might fall down trying to walk far right away...
Rental company informed me that they have a flat tire.
Probably late PM pick up now.
Dam it!
No detecting for the Pepper again. ☹️

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back