THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

RC, in regards to what you said about my brother "ain't no brother"
I should clarify that when I said he put income in my name, I got 1099's and nothing else.
I don't have money for a lawyer.
I don't have the money to do the well.
Saving currently because the head gasket is blown on my liberty.
I can't drive more than 15 minutes before overheating.

Wanna buy 17.9 acres ?
That will shut up the slandering neighbors.
Complicated life you lead.....

1099 but nothing else? Like it's not an account /C.D./I.R.A, ect.in your name?

The bank is where I'd start trying to figure it out. As they'd have documentation of where it came from and went / is.

Heads gasket bad , the original cause likely remains.https://repairpal.com/jeep/liberty/overheating

But running it bad can make matters worse. Yes , I know you know.

Neighbors! I'll leave that one alone.

17+ acres? You lucky dog.
Land values are still up. I will try hard not to think about acquiring more.
A "neighbor" adjacent to my hunting property is asking 5 times per acre what I paid several years ago. But then , I see 2 or less acre parcels in the area asking more than I paid for 10+ acres. And those are not lots with amenities any greater.

Money. (!).
Who boy. That will keep me from looking over your land in case you end up splitting off a chunk to sell.
In your case.... There's got to be a hustle you can find to bring in some money without having to lay out much money.
You're prior mention of firewood. Campfire wood bundles should be selling great this time of year for weekend use.
Walkin sticks should be doable. (Have you looked at prices on consignment ones in touristy stores /places?)
Decent wood seasoned without splitting is the foundation for whatever you want to craft. Simple or easy. Cutting (what time of year for what wood? And when to debark/peel? Go ahead and leave the bark on sassafras. I'll let ya.
Then drying over a years time can be a good approach. But I've located seasoned off the ground hardwood limbs with great integrity too. Found a prefect one for a friend long ago after his stroke.
He was delighted.

Length is a subject matter too.

You've likely goldenrod growing on your site somewhere.
Mullein I'd guess too , maybe?
Maybe some sassafras. Leaves. Roots. Bark. Saplings for canes or walking sticks.
Though I wouldn't recommend one for a fighting quarterstaff.
Plantain?
Who knows what else.
And somewhere there is a market for all of it.
Find the niche on your terms. No , that won't be by selling hundreds of pounds to a middleman in another state.

Garden markers. Not much of a piece of board or split wood , painted on.
Again , there's a market somewhere , though the time is passed /past for this years spring fever buyers before planting time.

How bad is your riding mower? Frame bent?
Air gets steered to cool most of them. So a hood should be kept on and shroud below the hood if it has one.
Metal can be hammered back into rough shape, and most plastic drilled and plastic wire tied.

A violated fuel tank can be by- passed with a "saddle tank" salvaged off a push mower or similar.
How your engine feeds matters. A gravity feed type ,you want the tank above and line dropping to carburetor.
An engine with a fuel pump can pull through a line better. But give it a little help by routing the line without undo gymnastics..

A Franken tractor can be done. Unless the frame is shaped like a C or fractured.
Safety switches like under the seat need remembered too.

Complicated life you lead.....

1099 but nothing else? Like it's not an account /C.D./I.R.A, ect.in your name?

The bank is where I'd start trying to figure it out. As they'd have documentation of where it came from and went / is.

Heads gasket bad , the original cause likely remains.https://repairpal.com/jeep/liberty/overheating

But running it bad can make matters worse. Yes , I know you know.

Neighbors! I'll leave that one alone.

17+ acres? You lucky dog.
Land values are still up. I will try hard not to think about acquiring more.
A "neighbor" adjacent to my hunting property is asking 5 times per acre what I paid several years ago. But then , I see 2 or less acre parcels in the area asking more than I paid for 10+ acres. And those are not lots with amenities any greater.

Money. (!).
Who boy. That will keep me from looking over your land in case you end up splitting off a chunk to sell.
In your case.... There's got to be a hustle you can find to bring in some money without having to lay out much money.
You're prior mention of firewood. Campfire wood bundles should be selling great this time of year for weekend use.
Walkin sticks should be doable. (Have you looked at prices on consignment ones in touristy stores /places?)
Decent wood seasoned without splitting is the foundation for whatever you want to craft. Simple or easy. Cutting (what time of year for what wood? And when to debark/peel? Go ahead and leave the bark on sassafras. I'll let ya.
Then drying over a years time can be a good approach. But I've located seasoned off the ground hardwood limbs with great integrity too. Found a prefect one for a friend long ago after his stroke.
He was delighted.

Length is a subject matter too.

You've likely goldenrod growing on your site somewhere.
Mullein I'd guess too , maybe?
Maybe some sassafras. Leaves. Roots. Bark. Saplings for canes or walking sticks.
Though I wouldn't recommend one for a fighting quarterstaff.
Plantain?
Who knows what else.
And somewhere there is a market for all of it.
Find the niche on your terms. No , that won't be by selling hundreds of pounds to a middleman in another state.

Garden markers. Not much of a piece of board or split wood , painted on.
Again , there's a market somewhere , though the time is passed /past for this years spring fever buyers before planting time.

How bad is your riding mower? Frame bent?
Air gets steered to cool most of them. So a hood should be kept on and shroud below the hood if it has one.
Metal can be hammered back into rough shape, and most plastic drilled and plastic wire tied.

A violated fuel tank can be by- passed with a "saddle tank" salvaged off a push mower or similar.
How your engine feeds matters. A gravity feed type ,you want the tank above and line dropping to carburetor.
An engine with a fuel pump can pull through a line better. But give it a little help by routing the line without undo gymnastics..

A Franken tractor can be done. Unless the frame is shaped like a C or fractured.
Safety switches like under the seat need remembered too.
Well the IRS up in Traverse city said all the income points at me and my wife.
I never got any of the stimulus payments.

The liberty, I used K-seal.
Like Bars leaks, but won't clog the radiator up like Bars does.
It has helped somewhat.
Oil is getting past the rings.
I never overheated it.

The property!
Ugh!
Buying on a contract with my elderly mother resulted in her backpedaling a few months later as my sister demands her "share"
My oldest brother, not the criminal middle child my other brother.
He feels like this should have been his place.
He is incompetent at best.
Every month he buys scratch off tickets.
They come before his food and rent.
He has sticky fingers that need to be broken!
He stole my mower among a bunch of other stuff.
I wouldn't have known until I got the cameras.

I've got tons of wood, but none of it is seasoned well enough yet.
I want to be a premium provider of firewood.
That's my long term goal as my location can't be beat.
I am right on US10.
If I sell wet wood this year, I won't have any repeat customers next year.
So the wood is going to have to wait.
I never could find a lumber company that would buy the trees.
They want it standing.
Wanna bring your tractor ?
I'll make it worth your time as I have many veneer quality logs laying on the ground.
White oak and hard maple.

Walking sticks...
Great idea.
Rails to trails is at the back of our property.

I am looking to trade logs or wood for a mower.
It looks like a jungle now and the ticks love long grass.

The neighbors told people they own this property.
I got that from a couple of people who I knew when I was a kid coming up here with my dad.
Dad died in 2008.
He was sick for ten years prior.
This place sat empty until me and The Viking showed up June 1st 2020.

Those people have told all sorts of crap around this small town.
I've had the police called on me for cutting wood on my own land because some busy body thought that we were squatting.
It looks like a squatter house, I admit.
I haven't the slightest idea of how to fix the steel roof that the tornado broke.
Tarp is still on the house and it looks like crap!

Thanks for taking the time to type all that.

Top of the day Zakon, RC , John
Doing the due.
Ate some Haskaps, and the strawberries are turning colour.
Need sunshine.
The Max is still under some type of spell.
Drinking water too much water, longer whizzes today again.
Will phone the Dr. Doggie to see what's up.
Hope you all have a fantastic day today.

Well the IRS up in Traverse city said all the income points at me and my wife.
I never got any of the stimulus payments.

The liberty, I used K-seal.
Like Bars leaks, but won't clog the radiator up like Bars does.
It has helped somewhat.
Oil is getting past the rings.
I never overheated it.

The property!
Ugh!
Buying on a contract with my elderly mother resulted in her backpedaling a few months later as my sister demands her "share"
My oldest brother, not the criminal middle child my other brother.
He feels like this should have been his place.
He is incompetent at best.
Every month he buys scratch off tickets.
They come before his food and rent.
He has sticky fingers that need to be broken!
He stole my mower among a bunch of other stuff.
I wouldn't have known until I got the cameras.

I've got tons of wood, but none of it is seasoned well enough yet.
I want to be a premium provider of firewood.
That's my long term goal as my location can't be beat.
I am right on US10.
If I sell wet wood this year, I won't have any repeat customers next year.
So the wood is going to have to wait.
I never could find a lumber company that would buy the trees.
They want it standing.
Wanna bring your tractor ?
I'll make it worth your time as I have many veneer quality logs laying on the ground.
White oak and hard maple.

Walking sticks...
Great idea.
Rails to trails is at the back of our property.

I am looking to trade logs or wood for a mower.
It looks like a jungle now and the ticks love long grass.

The neighbors told people they own this property.
I got that from a couple of people who I knew when I was a kid coming up here with my dad.
Dad died in 2008.
He was sick for ten years prior.
This place sat empty until me and The Viking showed up June 1st 2020.

Those people have told all sorts of crap around this small town.
I've had the police called on me for cutting wood on my own land because some busy body thought that we were squatting.
It looks like a squatter house, I admit.
I haven't the slightest idea of how to fix the steel roof that the tornado broke.
Tarp is still on the house and it looks like crap!

Thanks for taking the time to type all that.
Ahh the joys of homesteading in a community of nuts!
(Of course that makes the newcomer the nut.)

Timber companies.....Well it's almost better to have a forester draw up a plan and supervise a cut. There are shysters out there.

Dad sold mature red oak sawlogs per timber contract on his land for about a hundred dollars each. They were destined to become hardwood flooring.
One year they never got around to cutting (summer was off limits due to soft ground) but Dad by contract kept thier up front money.

My tractor is a lightweight. It wouldn't lift a sawlog.
Wood bucked to stove /fire use size it could pull a trailer or by the bucket load.
Maybe.

Quartering bigger rounds , or halving smaller ones, speeds up the drying process. Even if just knocking a couple inches off the side of a six inch round. Nice to have rounds bucked and then dry enough to get checks/ cracks in their ends to make splitting easier.
Just keep it off the ground to dry. Or use poor stuff as sacrificial ground contact to stack on.

Steel roofs vary in how they were installed.
Matching the method would blend repairs best. Maybe.
How edges overlap to shed water is worth noting. As is fastener type and how they deal with not tracking water along them into the material below.
Roof cement can be your friend. More tar than anything resembling cement but such are terms of description sometimes.
On seams. Around anything that goes through the roof. On /under the edge of a goofy shingle that cracked maybe.
On an exposed fastener that shouldn't be exposed.
Where two roof edges join , or create a valley with flashing (thin metal) bridging the gap. Ect..
To reseal cracks in prior tarring/ cementing.

If you're replacing sections of steel you'll want to know how they need to overlap or underlap existing (adjacent remaining) steel. How water is to be kept from entering a lap. (same principle of how shingles overlaps direct water away from each joint.) And how you are going to fasten it.
Then size of sheet WxL.
Yes they can be cut. Requiring tools and noise. I'd dodge having to cut. Existing sections of steel should tell how that would work.

Don't let me make it seem complicated. You're only replacing existing stuff.
Making having to design or pattern already done for you.

Ahh the joys of homesteading in a community of nuts!
(Of course that makes the newcomer the nut.)

Timber companies.....Well it's almost better to have a forester draw up a plan and supervise a cut. There are shysters out there.

Dad sold mature red oak sawlogs per timber contract on his land for about a hundred dollars each. They were destined to become hardwood flooring.
One year they never got around to cutting (summer was off limits due to soft ground) but Dad by contract kept thier up front money.

My tractor is a lightweight. It wouldn't lift a sawlog.
Wood bucked to stove /fire use size it could pull a trailer or by the bucket load.
Maybe.

Quartering bigger rounds , or halving smaller ones, speeds up the drying process. Even if just knocking a couple inches off the side of a six inch round. Nice to have rounds bucked and then dry enough to get checks/ cracks in their ends to make splitting easier.
Just keep it off the ground to dry. Or use poor stuff as sacrificial ground contact to stack on.

Steel roofs vary in how they were installed.
Matching the method would blend repairs best. Maybe.
How edges overlap to shed water is worth noting. As is fastener type and how they deal with not tracking water along them into the material below.
Roof cement can be your friend. More tar than anything resembling cement but such are terms of description sometimes.
On seams. Around anything that goes through the roof. On /under the edge of a goofy shingle that cracked maybe.
On an exposed fastener that shouldn't be exposed.
Where two roof edges join , or create a valley with flashing (thin metal) bridging the gap. Ect..
To reseal cracks in prior tarring/ cementing.

If you're replacing sections of steel you'll want to know how they need to overlap or underlap existing (adjacent remaining) steel. How water is to be kept from entering a lap. (same principle of how shingles overlaps direct water away from each joint.) And how you are going to fasten it.
Then size of sheet WxL.
Yes they can be cut. Requiring tools and noise. I'd dodge having to cut. Existing sections of steel should tell how that would work.

Don't let me make it seem complicated. You're only replacing existing stuff.
Making having to design or pattern already done for you.
Those are all great ideas that just didn't occur to me.
I believe that I don't really have a common sense ability.
Nothing comes into my mind when thinking about how to accomplish anything.

Im gonna take the tarp off and see whats what.

Those are all great ideas that just didn't occur to me.
I believe that I don't really have a common sense ability.
Nothing comes into my mind when thinking about how to accomplish anything.

Im gonna take the tarp off and see whats what.
Don't sell yourself short.
You can take apart most anything that was put together.
Putting it back together is the reverse order. So be nice to what is being taken apart.

If the roof leaks ,are you going to make it worse? Not if you study it , and shedding water is the goal.
It might need anything from simple resealing , to patching , to replacing.

And...Water can track underneath a ways before leaking through somewhere.
An imagined example is the edge of a chimney or pipe through the roof where a crack between the edge of the material and the roof allows water in.
It could track a few feet before again leaking downward below somewhere.

Some roofs have "ice guard" on the lower edges. Just a sheet of metal under the roofing material to prevent ice and water from backtracking up under shingles or coverings.
More on newer or replaced roofs.
But can sometimes be a solution to seasonal leaks the first 3-4 feet of a lower roof edge. A full gutter or Northern side shaded most of winter with ice built up..
And the downward (toward roof edge while riding on top) direction of run off of water can get stopped. And a leak appears inside the structure.

In the roofs case, part of the 130 foot white pine top pierced the metal roof, the actual mobile home roof and poked through the front bedroom ceiling.
Its mangled.
I need two new sheets of steel, but no trailer and it won't fit in the jeep.

Im gonna figure it out or die trying.
Ewww.
A peek through the hole should tell if a rafter or truss was damaged.

With great caution , a delivery may be available.

Depending on hole size and if material around it can be made level enough not to puddle badly , roof cementing /tarring a patch over the hole should be doable. A piece of sheet steel from about any source would suffice in a pinch.

Due to expansion and contraction during heating and cooling temps there needs to be some flex in your adhesive/tar/cement.. Which roofing cement is made to have.

There is a mesh used in such work. The stuff I used came on a roll about 6 or 8 inches wide.
Like a fabric screen. Put cement down overlapping edges of where joint will be. Add mesh. Then cement over it. A flexible expansion joint results.
I'd lay your patch material on the second layer of cement , then cement the edge again. Feathering it to allow better water flow. Same with all edges or irregularities.

Such seals between pieces of materials on trailers , travel trailers and similar roofs , all edges where roof and walls join , around anything going through the roof (vent pipes . skylights ect, not just pine limbs) need inspections spring and fall. Summer is hard on a roof. Not that any other season can't be.

A pail /can of roof cement/coating and a stiff brush and a half hour give or take can do wonders.

You'll find a couple choices in your roof coating. Reflective or dark.
Reflective looks silver after it dries. Where the darker looks black.

My bad , roof cement vs coating are different. I'll let you look it up but , cement (as I'm calling it) is good for repairs. It's thicker and has some fiber to it. Coating is to refresh or skim coat the whole roof , or touch up areas. Kinda like waterproof paint that seals from water intrusion. And keeps the sun from attacking your roofing material.
Reflective reduces roof / attic heat.

Cement builds up thicker when you apply it so. Coating isn't as good for sealing cracks of any size.
You may have seen travel trailer roofs with thick coating around edges and vents ect , while midfield it's a thin coat. The thicker edges and around vents ect. would be me using cement and mesh. Then going over the rest of the roof with coating.

Cut my hand cleaning one roof before recoating it. Guy had a bunch of screws poking through it where he installed a cabinet below. Yeah , I found his leak...

Folks keep stopping and doing U-turns in front of my driveway.
You are welcome here!
Especially first responders.
Sumpin goin on nearby.

Which reminds me..
Trespass , posting land , boundaries , surveys ect..
Tough state to try to enforce property rights regarding trespass.
And you have to be willing to prosecute to set an example AFTER you have every duck in a row.
But , the D.N.R. and local Sherriff , D.A. ect. know that voters are affected.

I have 1/2 of one no trespassing sign visible. (Hello tractor! l.o.l.).
The others are hidden by growth now.
But I've never posted it properly.
I did as with all have it surveyed. Yes borders can still be argued. But I have evidence of where mine are.
The drive is posted as far as I'm concerned. And I'll add a couple whole signs.
But the locals know it's not public. There's no near public to confuse it with either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back